Information

Geschichte von Portland, Maine

Geschichte von Portland, Maine


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Portland, die größte Stadt und wichtigste Hafenstadt von Maine, liegt an der Casco Bay, 110 Meilen nordöstlich von Boston. Portland liegt auf einer drei Meilen langen und eine Meile breiten Halbinsel sowie einer weiteren Halbinsel im Osten (ehemals die unabhängige Stadt Deering) und einigen Festlandgebieten und Inseln. Portland wurde erstmals 1632 besiedelt, litt jedoch unter Indianerüberfällen in den Jahren 1675 und 1690. Während des Unabhängigkeitskrieges bombardierten die Briten Portland und brannten es nieder, aber es wurde 1786 wieder aufgebaut. Maine wurde 1820 von Massachusetts unabhängig und Portland wurde Maines Hauptstadt und behielt diese Position bis 1831 bei. Portlands Schifffahrtsaktivitäten gingen nach der Welt Erster Krieg, aber später wiederbelebt. Der Dichter Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wurde 1807 in Portland im heutigen Wadsworth-Longfellow House geboren, das um 1785 von seinem Großvater General Peleg Wadsworth erbaut worden war. Die Maine Historical Society unterhält das Haus als Museum. Cyrus H.K. Curtis wurde 1850 in Portland geboren und ging im Alter von 16 Jahren, um sein Glück zu suchen. Seine beiden Vorbehalte waren, dass es von der Austin Organ Company of Hartford gebaut werden sollte und dass es ein Denkmal für Hermann Kotzschmar sein sollte. Kotzschmar, ein deutscher Einwanderer, der 47 Jahre lang Organist an der First Parish Church Unitarian Universalist in Portland war, war ein enger Freund der Familie Curtis, als er 1849 zum ersten Mal nach Portland kam, so sehr, dass der Verleger mit vollem Namen Cyrus . hieß Hermann Kotzschmar Curtis. Die Kotzschmar-Gedächtnisorgel ist bis heute ein Bestandteil des Rathauses von Portland. Das Maine General Hospital wurde 1874 mit 40 Betten eröffnet. Die Maine Eye and Ear Infirmary folgte 1890 und das Kinderkrankenhaus 1908. 1951 fusionierten die drei zum Maine Medical Center. Die katholische Diözese Portland eröffnete 1918 das Queen's Hospital, um die Opfer der Grippeepidemie von 1918 zu versorgen. Es wurde von den Sisters of Mercy betrieben und wurde später zum Mercy Hospital. Das Portland Museum of Art wurde 1882 gegründet und ist das größte öffentliche Kunstmuseum Museum in Maine. Das Maine College of Art wurde 1882 als Ergänzung des Kunstmuseums gegründet und ist die älteste kunstpädagogische Einrichtung in Maine.


Geschichte von Portland, Maine - Geschichte

Über Falmouth - Koloniale Ursprünge

"A World on the Edge": Von den Almouchiquois nach New Casco

Die Geschichte von Falmouth beginnt mit den amerikanischen Ureinwohnern, die die Region vor etwa 14.000 Jahren nach schmelzenden Gletschern am Ende der letzten Eiszeit besiedelten. Archäologische Beweise deuten darauf hin, dass die Landwirtschaft erstmals zwischen den Jahren 1300-1400 n. Chr. in die Region kam. Als der französische Entdecker Samuel de Champlain 1605 in der Gegend europäische Kontakte knüpfte, identifizierte er die zwischen dem Androscoggin River und Cape Ann, Massachusetts lebenden Menschen als die “Almouchiquois.” Innerhalb der Almouchiquois, einer halbautonomen Band Captain John Smith nannte die “Aucocisco” bewohnte Casco Bay. Der englische Entdecker Christopher Levett beobachtete 1623, dass ihr Anführer (bekannt als Sagamore) Skitterygusset an den Presumpscot Falls residierte. Die Almouchiquois erlitten vor der englischen Besiedlung zwei Tragödien, die die Gelehrten daran hinderten, viel über sie zu wissen. Erstens brachte die Kriegsführung mit Micmacs im Norden in einem Konflikt, den Gelehrte später als Tarrentiner Krieg bezeichneten, Niederlage und Tod für die südlichen Maine-Indianer. Zweitens forderte eine Epidemie zwischen 1616 und 1919 das Leben von mehr als 90 % der indigenen Bevölkerung Neuenglands. Als die Engländer in den 1630er Jahren begannen, Casco Bay zu besiedeln, blieben nur Reste der Algonkin sprechenden Almouchiquois in der Gegend.

Falmouths frühe Jahre waren von extremer Gewalt geprägt, da es in einer Grenzzone zwischen Europäern und amerikanischen Ureinwohnern lag. Casco Bay war bis ins 18. Jahrhundert der nördlichste Punkt der englischen Besiedlung. Mächtige Abenaki-Stämme, die sich bis nach Französisch-Kanada ausdehnten, lebten westlich und nördlich von Falmouth. Zahlreiche Kriege zwischen 1675 und 1763 zwischen den Engländern, Franzosen und amerikanischen Ureinwohnern ließen Falmouth selten von der Gewalt verschont. Unter dem Druck französischer und indischer Angriffe in den Jahren 1676 und 1690 verließen die Engländer zweimal die Casco Bay.

Arthur Mackworth war der erste europäische Einwohner der Stadt, der in den 1630er Jahren ein Haus am Presumpscot River baute. Spätere englische Siedler folgten Mackworths Beispiel, indem sie sich auf dem Presumpscot niederließen, in unmittelbarer Nähe des Großteils der englischen Bevölkerung auf der Halbinsel Casco (heute Portland). Die Grenzen des heutigen ’s Falmouth war bekannt als “New Casco,” und war ein Dorf innerhalb der größeren Casco-Siedlung. Die heutige Stadt Falmouth würde als “New Casco” bekannt sein, bis Portland 1786 getrennt wurde.

Obwohl die Stadt als New Casco bekannt war, wurde der Name Falmouth in dieser frühen Zeit erstmals mit der Gegend in Verbindung gebracht. 1658 übernahm die Massachusetts Bay Colony die Kontrolle über Maine, trotz des lokalen Widerstands. Massachusetts benannte die Casco Bay-Siedlungen in “Falmouth” um, nachdem eine wichtige Schlacht im englischen Bürgerkrieg in Falmouth, England, stattfand. Massachusetts wählte wahrscheinlich den Namen “Falmouth”, um ihre Eroberung von Maine zu feiern, was symbolisch den Sieg der parlamentarischen Streitkräfte über die Royalisten in Falmouth, England im Jahr 1646 widerspiegelt. Allgemein bekannt als “Falmouth on Casco Bay”, um es von den Falmouth zu unterscheiden auf Cape Cod umfassten die ursprünglichen Stadtgrenzen Cape Elizabeth, South Portland, Westbrook, Portland und die aktuelle Stadt

In dem Bemühen, die Beziehungen zu den einheimischen amerikanischen Ureinwohnern zu verbessern, bauten die Engländer 1700 eine Festung namens New Casco im Vermächtnis der lokalen Abenakis, die einen bequemen Ort für den Handel und die Reparatur ihrer Waffen suchten. Der Standort des Forts würde sich heute gegenüber dem Pine Grove Cemetery an der Route 88 befinden. Ein Treffen zwischen lokalen Abenaki-Pigwackets und Massachusetts-Kolonialbeamten im Jahr 1701 festigte die Allianz zwischen den beiden Völkern. Als Symbol dieser Freundschaft wurden zwei Steinhaufen errichtet. Die nahe gelegenen Two Brothers Islands vor der Küste erhielten später ihren Namen von diesem längst vergessenen Denkmal. Leider würde der Frieden nicht von Dauer sein, da zwei Jahre später der Krieg von Königin Anne in der Region ausbrach. Die Franzosen schickten Micmac, Mohawk und französische Milizen, um die Küste von Maine zu überfallen und diese neue englische Allianz mit den Ureinwohnern des südlichen Maines zu stören. Der Gouverneur von Massachusetts, Joseph Dudley, reiste im Juni 1703 nach New Casco in einem vergeblichen Versuch, die einheimischen amerikanischen Ureinwohner aus dem Krieg herauszuhalten. Sechs Wochen später wurde Fort New Casco von den einfallenden indianischen und französischen Truppen belagert. Die Ankunft eines bewaffneten Schiffes aus Massachusetts rettete die Engländer, die sich in Fort New Casco zusammengedrängt hatten. 1713 kehrte der Frieden zurück, aber drei Jahre später ordnete Massachusetts an, das Fort abzureißen. Die Zerstörung von Fort New Casco symbolisierte die Aufgabe von Massachusetts, seine Politik auf der Suche nach Freundschaft mit den einheimischen amerikanischen Ureinwohnern aufzugeben.

Solange die Franzosen Kanada kontrollierten, war es ein gefährliches Unterfangen, östlich des Presumpscot River in New Casco zu leben. 1725 lebte nur eine Familie in der Stadt. Die wachsende englische Bevölkerung und die französische Niederlage im König-Georgs-Krieg (1744-48) verlagerten das Grenzgebiet zwischen den amerikanischen Ureinwohnern und den Engländern nach Norden nach Midcoast Maine. Bis 1753 war New Casco auf 62 Familien angewachsen und groß genug, um eine eigene Pfarrei zu gründen. Die amerikanischen Ureinwohner zielten jedoch weiterhin auf New Casco ab, was am deutlichsten durch einen Überfall im Jahr 1748 und den Tod des Einwohners John Burnal im Jahr 1751 bezeugt wurde.

Der Fall von Quebec City an die Briten im Jahr 1759 entfernte die Franzosen aus Nordamerika, beraubte nahe gelegene Indianergruppen eines wichtigen Verbündeten und beendete offiziell die vorherigen 130 Jahre des Unbehagens oder der offenen Kriegsführung in Falmouth. Da die Franzosen keine Waffen mehr für den Widerstand der amerikanischen Ureinwohner liefern konnten, stand einer weiteren englischen Expansion in ihr Territorium wenig im Wege. Die lokale Bevölkerung der amerikanischen Ureinwohner war durch Krankheiten ebenfalls drastisch reduziert worden, wobei die meisten nach Norden und Westen wanderten, um sich größeren indigenen Gemeinschaften anzuschließen, wo sie heute noch leben. Die Kolonialzeit hatte festgelegt, dass die zukünftigen Bewohner von Falmouth Englisch und nicht Französisch oder Algonkin sprechen würden.


Maine-Geschichte online

Bilder von der Maine Historical Society

Zehntausende von Hafenarbeitern, die früher als Hafenarbeiter bekannt waren, haben die meiste Zeit der letzten 150 Jahre auf den Kais von Portlands Uferpromenade gearbeitet.

Viele irische Einwanderer, größtenteils ungelernte Arbeiter, begannen ihren wirtschaftlichen Start als Hafenarbeiter. Diese Jobs bildeten die Grundlage, auf der sie die Zukunft ihrer Familien in Portland aufbauen konnten.

Die Arbeit war schwierig, das Winterwetter oft brutal und die schwankende Natur der Arbeit problematisch, was sowohl die Hafenarbeiter als auch ihre Familien vor Herausforderungen stellte. Aber es bot ihnen auch eine Chance.

Entlang der Uferpromenade von Portland wurde ein Großteil der schweren Handarbeit im frühen 19. Jahrhundert von einer kleinen, aber wichtigen schwarzen Gemeinschaft von Hafenarbeitern verrichtet, von denen viele am Fuße des Munjoy Hill lebten.

Einige dieser Arbeiter waren nach Portland gekommen, indem sie dem Melassehandel von Westindien gefolgt waren. Durch den Import großer Mengen dieser dunklen, klebrigen Substanz wurde Portland zu einem bemerkenswerten Lieferanten von raffiniertem Zucker, insbesondere durch die Zuckerraffinerie J. B. Brown am Wasser.

Andere Nebenprodukte der Melasse waren Rum und andere Formen von Alkohol, die in der McGlinchy-Brauerei und anderen legalen und halblegalen Unternehmen in der ganzen Stadt destilliert wurden.

Portlands maritime Geschichte und seine kommerzielle Bedeutung änderten sich dramatisch im Jahr 1853, als die Stadt durch die Atlantic and Saint Lawrence (später als Grand Trunk) Railway mit Montreal verbunden wurde.

Dies war der Traum von John A. Poor, der das Potenzial von Portland als bedeutenden Welthafen erkannte, der über Hochseedampfer und Eisenbahn die Märkte des amerikanischen Kontinents mit den maritimen Zentren Europas verbindet. Poor glaubte, dass Portland schließlich mit den großen Städten des Baltikums konkurrieren könnte.

Die Entwicklung von Portland als Kanadas wichtigstem Winterhafen war bedeutend, obwohl sie nie ganz das Niveau von Poors Vision von Größe erreichte. Die wichtigste Ware, die über den Hafen von Portland umgeschlagen wurde, war kanadisches Getreide, insbesondere von November bis April, als der Sankt-Lorenz-Strom zugefroren war, was Montreal und Quebec zu Binnenstädten machte.

Ab 1853 kamen im Winter immer regelmäßiger große Dampfschiffe in Portland an, die den Küstenarbeitern eine stetige und schließlich immer lukrativere Arbeit bescherten. Diese Eisenbahnverbindung fiel mit der Ankunft einer großen Einwanderung aus Irland in den Jahren unmittelbar nach der verheerenden Hungersnot in den späten 1840er Jahren zusammen.

Obwohl viele der frühen irischen Siedler Maines aus dem Norden des Landes stammten, hauptsächlich schottisch-irische Presbyterianer aus Ulster, kamen die Einwanderer der neueren Hungerzeit hauptsächlich aus den ärmeren westlichen Regionen Irlands. Die meisten Einwanderer nach einer Hungersnot nach Portland kamen aus der Grafschaft Galway mit ihrer starken und überlebenden irischen (gälischen) Tradition.

In einem Prozess, der als "Kettenmigration" bekannt ist, kam ein Familienmitglied an und ebnete den Weg für andere, normalerweise indem er "Geld aus Amerika" schickte, um bei den Kosten für die Überfahrt auf Dampfern zu helfen.

Ein Ort, an dem diese neuen irischen Einwanderer in Portland Arbeit finden konnten, war entlang der Uferpromenade. Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts hatten die Iren die schwarzen Hafenarbeiter bereits verdrängt. Als die Arbeit zumindest in den Wintermonaten regelmäßiger und attraktiver wurde, versuchten die irischen Hafenarbeiter, ihre Arbeitsbedingungen zu formalisieren und zu garantieren. In den 1860er Jahren forderte ein irischer Hafenverband höhere Löhne, insbesondere während der Boomzeiten um den Bürgerkrieg.

Bis 1880 gründeten sich diese meist irischen Hafenarbeiter als Portland Longshoremen's Benevolent Society (PLSBS). Die meisten Gründungsmitglieder der PLSBS waren Iren und viele von ihnen waren hauptsächlich Irisch – Gälisch – Sprecher. In einer der Satzungen der PLSBS heißt es: „Kein farbiger Mann darf Mitglied dieser Gesellschaft sein.“

Die Transformation der maritimen Arbeitskraft von Schwarz zu Grün hatte stattgefunden und es würde kein Zurück mehr geben. Anti-Schwarzer Rassismus war nicht nur in Portland zu finden, aber es war ironisch angesichts der frühen Geschichte der Schwarzen an seiner Uferpromenade sowie der Tatsache, dass der katholische Bischof der Diözese von Portland zu dieser Zeit, James Augustine Healy (1875-1900), war halb schwarz und halb irisch.

Die irischen Einwanderer versammelten sich in zwei Hauptvierteln und den Straßen, die sie entlang der Uferpromenade von Portland verbanden: das westliche Ende, später bekannt als Gorham's Corner, mit seiner Pfarrei Saint Dominic (die älteste katholische Kirche in Portland aus dem Jahr 1833) und das östliche Ende, besser bekannt als Munjoy Hill, mit seiner Kathedrale der Unbefleckten Empfängnis (1866).

Der kirchliche Charakter des Lebens in Galway mit regionalen Unterschieden, die scheinbar kleine geografische Entfernungen widerspiegeln, war intakt nach Portland gewandert. Oft kannten die Kinder aus einem dieser Viertel kaum die Straße oder die Bewohner des anderen, obwohl sie kaum eine Meile voneinander entfernt waren.

Da so viele irische Hafenarbeiter von Portland ähnliche Galway-Nachnamen hatten, wie Joyce, Connolly, Folan / Foley, O'Malley oder Gorham, ein in Irland verbreitetes kulturelles Merkmal, überlebte die Verwendung von Spitznamen für diejenigen mit gemeinsamen Familiennamen in Portland .

Einige der Spitznamen mit gälischen Wurzeln sind Bád ní ngean (Garnknäuel), Bartla Tadhg (Bartley Timothy), Cockaneeney (Cac an éinín oder Vogelkot), Greenhorn geimhridh (Einwanderer, die im Winter ankommen), Paddy na gcnoc (Patrick der Hügel) und Philipín (klein oder jung, Philip).

Andere Spitznamen waren oft ziemlich komisch, wie Average Man, Blessed Virgin, Broken Dishes, Leaky Roof, Paper Legs, Senator Cleghorn, Shaggy Dog, Soup Bone und Ya-Ya.

Die meisten Hafenarbeiter waren römisch-katholisch. Jeder Bischof seit der Gründung der Diözese Portland im Jahr 1855 hatte einen eindeutigen irischen Nachnamen wie Bacon, Healy, O'Connell, Walsh, Murray, McCarthy, Feeney, Gerety, O'Leary, Gerry und Malone.

Im 19. Jahrhundert gab es in Portland zahlreiche irische soziale, kulturelle und politische Organisationen, darunter die Portland Longshoremen's Benevolent Society, deren höchste Mitgliederzahl von 1.366 im Jahr 1919 verzeichnet wurde.

In den frühen 1920er Jahren begann jedoch ein stetiger Rückgang von Arbeit und Mitgliederzahl. In den 1920er Jahren rüstete die kanadische Regierung die Häfen von Halifax, Nova Scotia, und Saint John, New Brunswick, auf, um „kanadische Güter aus kanadischen Häfen“ umzuschlagen zwischen 1853 und 1923.

Trotz einer kurzen positiven Wiederbelebung der Seefracht aufgrund des Zweiten Weltkriegs gingen die Seearbeitskräfte in Portland weiter zurück. Schließlich wurde Portland im Wesentlichen als Ölhafen bekannt, wobei die Portland-Pipeline Öllieferungen nach Montreal abwickelte. Öl war jedoch nicht arbeitsintensiv, und die Hafenarbeiter suchten erfolglos nach Rohstoffen, die sie aus diesem Tiefwasserhafen verschiffen oder nach Importen, die in Portland abgewickelt werden konnten.

Zu Beginn des 21. Jahrhunderts war der Hafen von Portland weitgehend zu einer natürlichen Ressource ohne klar definierte Funktion geworden.


Wichtige Orte der afroamerikanischen Geschichte von Portland

Portlands Black Communities prägen seit der Gründung der Stadt die Geschichte, Landschaften und Architektur der Stadt. Als große Hafenstadt war Portland sowohl eine Haltestelle der Underground Railroad als auch die Heimat einer blühenden Gemeinschaft freier Schwarzer, die am Wasser oder für die kommerziellen Eisenbahnen arbeiteten. Einige der Gebäude, die ihre Geschichten erzählen, bleiben stehen, hauptsächlich in der India Street Neighborhood, die von freien Afroamerikanern gegründet wurde, die in Portlands maritimer Wirtschaft florierten. Diese Gebäude sind unten aufgeführt.

Das Schreiben über diese historischen Orte basiert auf Informationen aus den folgenden Veröffentlichungen. Bitte lesen Sie diese wertvollen Ressourcen für eine ausführlichere Lektüre:

Im September 2017 wurden afroamerikanische Ressourcen des 19. Jahrhunderts in die Liste der gefährdeten Orte von Greater Portland Landmarks aufgenommen. Erhaltene historische Ressourcen und Gebäude erzählen die Geschichte der afroamerikanischen Bürger, die zu Portlands robuster Geschichte beigetragen haben. Drei Gebiete auf der Halbinsel der Stadt waren historisch die Heimat der schwarzen Einwohner von Portland: Newbury Street in der Nähe des Abessinian Meeting House, Lafayette Street auf Munjoy Hill in der Nähe von Mansfields Livery Stable und im Viertel St. John-Valley Street in der Nähe der Union Station, einer Major Arbeitgeber für viele der afroamerikanischen Familien der Nachbarschaft. Alle drei Gebiete, die historisch mit der afroamerikanischen Gemeinschaft von Portland verbunden sind, entwickeln sich entweder schnell oder sind reif für eine Sanierung. Bei den bisherigen Erhaltungsbemühungen wurden diese bescheidenen Wohnhäuser und institutionellen Gebäude, die mit Portlands schwarzer Geschichte verbunden sind, weitgehend von größeren, aufwendigeren Gebäuden überschattet.

Das abessinische Versammlungshaus, 73 Newbury Street, (1828): Das 1828 als Gotteshaus erbaute Abessinian Meeting House ist das drittälteste stehende afroamerikanische Versammlungshaus in den Vereinigten Staaten und ist von lokaler, bundesstaatlicher und nationaler historischer Bedeutung. Der Abessinier wurde im 19. Jahrhundert zum Zentrum des sozialen und politischen Lebens der afroamerikanischen Gemeinschaft von Portland. Als das Große Feuer die Stadt durchbrach, versammelte sich die Gemeinde, die sich auf die Abessinier verließ, um das Dach mit nassen Decken zu bedecken und es erfolgreich vor dem Feuer zu retten. Das Gebäude diente als Kirche und als getrennte öffentliche Schule sowie als Saal für Konzerte, Abendessen und Unterhaltung. Zu ihren Mitgliedern und Predigern gehörten ehemalige Versklavte, Führer der Underground Railroad-Bewegung und ausgesprochene Befürworter der Abschaffung der Sklaverei in den Vereinigten Staaten. Das Meeting House wurde 1917 geschlossen, 1924 in Mietswohnungen umgewandelt und schließlich aufgegeben und von der Stadt Portland für Steuernachzahlungen übernommen. 1998 kaufte das Komitee zur Wiederherstellung der Abessinier das Anwesen und begann mit der Restaurierung. Das Komitee macht weiterhin Fortschritte bei der Restaurierung und sensibilisiert für dieses überregional bedeutende Gebäude. Für weitere Informationen oder um sich zu engagieren, besuchen Sie die Website und kontaktieren Sie das Komitee. Klicken Sie hier, um die Sehenswürdigkeiten der Abessinier anzuzeigen.

Das Abraham Niles House, 77 Newbury Street (um 1840): Neben dem abessinischen Versammlungshaus erbaut, ist das Abraham Niles House auch ein Überlebender des Großen Feuers. Abraham Niles war ein Seemann und ein frühes Mitglied der Kirche nebenan. Die Familie Niles bewohnte das Haus bis Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts.

Die Nordschule, 248 Congress Street (1867): Nach dem Großen Brand von 1866 wurde die Nordschule gebaut, um alle Kinder aus der Nachbarschaft zu unterrichten, einschließlich der großen Bevölkerung schwarzer Kinder, die im Viertel India Street und auf dem Munjoy Hill leben. Während viele der Lehrer an der Nordschule Nachkommen irischer Einwanderer waren, unterrichtete Portlands erster schwarzer Schullehrer angeblich auch an der Nordschule.
Klicken Sie hier, um weitere Informationen zu den historischen Schulen von Portland zu erhalten.

Reuben Ruby House, 81 Newbury Street (ca. 1853-56): Dieses Gebäude wurde verändert und hat viele seiner historischen Merkmale verloren, aber nicht seine historische Bedeutung. Einer der ersten Bewohner war Reuben Ruby, Gründer der Maine Anti-Slavery Society. Geboren in Gray, Maine, war er der führende Underground Railroad Conductor in Portland und arbeitete an bedeutenden Anti-Sklaverei-Veröffentlichungen in Boston und Maine. Er hatte einen erfolgreichen Hackstand, dessen ehemaliger Standort auf dem Portland Freedom Trail markiert ist. Er kaufte und spendete das Land für das Abessinian Meeting House und finanzierte seinen Bau. Sein Sohn, William Wilberforce Ruby, war der Feuerwehrmann, der die Stadt zum ersten Mal auf den Ausbruch des Großen Feuers von 1866 aufmerksam machte und seine Gemeinde anleitete, das Dach der Abessinier während des Feuers zu schützen. Weitere Informationen zu William Wilberforce Ruby finden Sie im Portland Press Herald-Artikel über das Große Feuer.

Ostfriedhof 224 Kongress (1668): Ein Teil der Ruby-Familie ist auf dem Ostfriedhof begraben. Dieser Friedhof ist die letzte Ruhestätte für viele der ersten Afroamerikaner von Portland. In der Nähe des Zauns der Mountfort St. befindet sich ein Teil des Friedhofs, der ursprünglich für Schwarze bestimmt war. In der ersten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunderts wurden auf diesem Friedhof viele prominente Persönlichkeiten der Anti-Sklaverei-Bewegung von Portland, schwarz und weiß, begraben. Für weitere Informationen über ihr Leben lesen Sie den Portland Freedom Trail oder kontaktieren Sie Spirits Alive, die Freundesgruppe, die den Ostfriedhof erforscht, restauriert und befürwortet.

John und Mary Parrs House, 16 Federal Street (1870): Während dieses Haus mehrmals umgebaut wurde, zuletzt in den Jahren 2015-16, wurde die ursprüngliche Struktur 1870 erbaut. Die Familie Parrs spiegelt die unterschiedliche Arbeitsgeschichte afroamerikanischer Familien in Portland wider. John Parrs war der Besitzer mehrerer Gebäude in der India Street Neighborhood und ein Seemann. Sein Sohn Braxton war Seemann und später Postangestellter. Seine Schwiegertochter Amelia war eine Saisonköchin in Old Orchard Beach und eine der ältesten Bewohner des Parrs House. Sie stammte ursprünglich aus Georgia und hat eine unklare Familienlinie, vielleicht wurde sie in die Sklaverei geboren.

Das Viertel Valley Street: Neben der India Street Neighborhood war die Gegend um die Valley Street die Heimat eines bedeutenden Teils der schwarzen Gemeinde von Portland. Viele in der Nachbarschaft arbeiteten an der Union Station (1888-1961) oder bei der Maine Central Railroad. Sie arbeiteten als Gepäckträger, Köche und Speisekellner in den Personenzügen, als Kellner, Hausmeister, Red Caps und Stiefelputzer im Bahnhof oder als Gleis- und Durchgangsleute in den Güterzügen. Viele der bestehenden Häuser in der Valley und A Street wurden von Portlands schwarzen Familien bewohnt. Maines sichtbare schwarze Geschichte bietet weitere Informationen zur Geschichte des Viertels Valley Street. Das Buch stellt die Familie Cummings vor, die in diesem Viertel lebte und unter anderem für ihre lange und erfolgreiche Karriere bei der Eisenbahn bekannt war, beginnend mit drei Brüdern um die Jahrhundertwende, Eddie, Tate und Leslie Cummings. Ihre Kinder und Enkel sind in Maine weiterhin als führende Politiker, Bürgerrechte und Fürsprecher für Sehenswürdigkeiten der schwarzen Geschichte, einschließlich des Abessinischen Versammlungshauses, bekannt.


Historische Erhaltung

Im Jahr 1990 erließ die Stadt Portland eine Denkmalschutzverordnung, um einen der wichtigsten Vermögenswerte von Portland anzuerkennen und zu bewahren - seine reiche Sammlung historischer Architektur und Landschaften. Die Verordnung schützt fast 2000 Grundstücke in der ganzen Stadt, in so unterschiedlichen Vierteln wie Old Port, Stroudwater, Congress Street, dem West End und Fort McKinley auf Great Diamond Island.

Der Zweck der Verordnung besteht nicht darin, verhindern ändern, aber nachdenklich verwalten, damit der einzigartige Charakter dieser historischen Gebiete erhalten bleibt. Ausgewiesene Immobilien werden vor dem Abriss geschützt und vorgeschlagene Änderungen oder Ergänzungen werden überprüft, um die Kompatibilität mit dem ursprünglichen Design einer Immobilie sicherzustellen. Auch der Neubau innerhalb ausgewiesener historischer Stadtteile wird überprüft, um ein respektvolles Verhältnis zwischen Neu und Alt zu gewährleisten.

Heute ist die Wirkung der Verordnung klar: Der Erhalt historischer Ressourcen stabilisiert Quartiere und ist wirtschaftlich sinnvoll. Ein Spaziergang oder eine Fahrt durch eines der elf historischen Viertel von Portland offenbart spannende Veränderungen, da immer mehr alte Gebäude denkmalgerecht saniert und kompatible Neubauten in den Mix aufgenommen werden.

Im Parkside-Viertel zum Beispiel, entlang von Straßen, die einst von heruntergekommenen Wohnungen und abwesendem Eigentum geprägt waren, gibt es jetzt renovierte Häuser mit Eigentümern, die stolz auf ihre Immobilien und ihre Nachbarschaft sind. Entlang der Commercial Street hat eine aufregende neue Architektur neben restaurierten Lagerhäusern aus dem 19. Im gesamten historischen Parksystem der Stadt werden Masterpläne entwickelt, um sicherzustellen, dass zukünftige Verbesserungen die ursprünglichen Designs der Parks respektieren. Alle diese Projekte wurden durch das Denkmalpflegeprogramm der Stadt gefördert.

Der Erfolg dieses wichtigen Programms hängt von der Unterstützung und Kooperation der Eigentümer der historischen Immobilien von Portland ab. Bevor Sie ein Projekt durchführen, das das Äußere Ihres Gebäudes oder des umliegenden Grundstücks betrifft, lesen Sie bitte die Informationen auf dieser Website und rufen Sie die Denkmalpfleger der Abteilung Planung und Entwicklung an, um Ihre Pläne zu besprechen. Sie sind bereit, Sie dabei zu unterstützen, praktikable und kostengünstige Lösungen zu finden, die sowohl Ihren Bedürfnissen als auch den Anforderungen der Verordnung entsprechen.


Geschichte von Portland, Maine - Geschichte

Geschichte von Portland, Maine
Von
Ein Amtsblatt der
Bundesstaat Maine

Von Geo. J. Varney
Herausgegeben von B.B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Portland, bekannt für seine Geschäftsmöglichkeiten, für die Gesundheit und Schönheit seiner Lage und für das Unternehmen und die Urbanität seiner Bürger, besetzt den Haupthafen an der Casco Bay im südlichen Teil des Cumberland County. Als der den Städten des St. Lawrence am nächsten gelegene Hafen an der Atlantikküste und mit einem sicheren und bequemen Hafen für die größten Ozeandampfer, der zu allen Jahreszeiten geöffnet ist, ist er natürlich auch der wichtigste Seehafen der Kanadas geworden wie von Western Maine und den nördlichen Teilen von New Hampshire und Vermont. Von der Stadt fahren die Boston und Maine, die Eastern und die Portland und Rochester Railways, durchqueren die Geschäftszentren von New Hampshire und Massachusetts und verbinden sich mit den Straßen zu allen Teilen des Kontinents. Die Grand Trunk of the Atlantic and St. Lawrence Railroad führt durch die nördlichen Teile von Vermont und New Hampshire zu den Anlegestellen der Ozeandampfer in Portland Harbour. Die Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad, vorbei. das Tal des Saco, das die White Mountains über St. Johnsbury, Vt., und von dort bis zum Fuße des Lake Champlain durchzieht, wird einen noch kürzeren Weg nach Kanada und dem großen Westen bieten. Die Maine Central mit ihren Zweigen verbindet mit der zentralen Region des Staates von Penobscot fast bis zu den Rangely Lakes bei Bangor sie verbindet sich mit der Piscataquis Railroad und durch die European and North American Railway mit den Systemen von New Brunswick und Nova Scotia . Alle diese Linien sind in der Stadt durch die Grenzbahn verbunden. Zusätzlich zu den Eisenbahnanlagen fahren Dampfschifflinien dreiwöchentlich nach New York, täglich nach Boston, dreiwöchentlich nach Bangor und Zwischenhäfen, wöchentlich nach Mount Desert und Machias, halbwöchentlich nach Eastport und St. John , NB, und halbwöchentlich nach Halifax, NS, direkt. Die Dampfschiffe der Allan-Linie verkehren von November bis Mai wöchentlich zwischen Portland und Liverpool und bieten große Möglichkeiten für den Import und Export.

Die meisten der führenden Manufakturen werden in der Stadt oder in ihrer Umgebung hergestellt - viele davon in großen Mengen und von höchster Qualität.

Der durchschnittliche Zollbetrag, der in den letzten Jahren im Portland Custom House erhoben wurde, beträgt nicht weit von 900.000 US-Dollar.

Die besonderen Industrien, in denen Portland alle anderen Städte übertrifft, sind wahrscheinlich die der hermetisch versiegelten Lebensmittel und der Fischerei sowie die Konservierung von Fisch in verschiedenen Formen.

Im Fischgeschäft sind etwa ein Dutzend Firmen mit der Verpackung von Makrelen und Heringen beschäftigt. Diese Firmen verpackten in der Saison 1880 insgesamt 80.500 Fässer Makrele und 13.300 Fässer Hering. Der Marktwert davon liegt bei knapp 500.000 US-Dollar. Die Anzahl der in der Makrelenfischerei tätigen Schiffe beträgt 162 in der Heringsfischerei, das sind 75, also insgesamt 237 Schiffe mit 3.345 Besatzungsmitgliedern. Davon ausgenommen sind die zum Verpacken der Fische beschäftigten Personen. Ein halbes Dutzend weiterer Firmen beschäftigt sich mit der Pökelung von Kabeljau und anderen Fischen. Die drei, die in diesen das größte Geschäft machen, kurierten in der Saison, die Mitte Oktober 1880 endete, 50.000 Doppelzentner. Die Aushärtung erfolgt auf den Inseln im Hafen. House Island wird zu diesem Zweck seit mehr als 200 Jahren genutzt.

Portland is the smallest town in the State ia superficial area. A small peninsula jutting into the inner waters of Casco Bay, and 16 islands and parts of islands, lying at distances of from 3 to 10 miles down the bay constitute the territory of the city. This peninsula, or Neck, was called Machigonne by the Indians, which according to some means bad clay while others contend that its interpretation should be knee or elbow,-descriptive of the curving form of the peninsula. The names of the islands are Peak's, Long, Cushing's, House, Great and Little Diamond (or Hog), part of Crotch, part of Hope, Little Chebeague, Jewell's, Cow, Rain, Marsh, Overset, Crow, and Pumpkin Knob. Several of these islands are very picturesque and attractive, and 4 or 5 have hotels. The peninsula is about 3 miles long, with an average breadth of three-fourths of a mile. On the southerly side lies Cape Elizabeth, separated from Portland by an arm of the sea called Fore River, which constitutes the inner harbor. On the northerly side, is Back Cove and beyond is Peering. The peninsula has a mean elevation at the middle of more than 100 feet,-sloping gradually to the water on either side, except at the eastern and western extremities,-which rise in Munjoy's Hill at the east to the height of 161 feet and at the west, in Bramhall's Hill, to 175 feet,-ending here in a bold bluff. Munjoy's Hill affords delightful views of the waters of Casco Bay and its numerous islands, and of the ocean beyond. Bramhall commands a sea view, and a broad landscape of farm, forest and village, and beyond all, the great semicircle of the mountains. This configuration of the peninsula gives excellent drainage, while from its altitude it is bathed in the pure breezes from sea and shore, rendering it one of the most healthy cities on the globe. From end to end of the peninsula runs Congress street, the backbone of the city, 3 miles in length. Parallel with this on the east for a part of its length, are, first, Middle street, devoted chiefly to the dry goods trade second, Fore street, miscellaneous trade andthird, Commercial street, fronting the harbor, and occupied largely by wholesale traders in heavy goods of all sorts. On the western side, the streets are Cumberland second, Oxford and Portland third, Lincoln and Kennebec,-the last two running along the margin of Back Cove. The whole peninsula has above 226 streets, lanes and courts, aggregating a length of 48 miles while 29 wharves extend into the harbor, affording accommodation to vessels of every size and kind. Besides the lines of steam railways, already enumerated, there are 6 avenues for teams and foot passengers. There is also projected and partly built, a Marginal Way, 100 feet in width, running entirely around the city. Horse cars furnish easy transit between the depots of the different lines of steam cars, and the principal streets connecting also with the suburban villages of Deering Point, Woodford's Corner, and Morrill's Corner. The business of the city centres on the southerly slope below Congress street, near the middle of the peninsula. Munjoy's Hill is almost a village by itself of middle class residences, having its own churches, schools and shops. The northerly slope, back of Congress street, along its whole length, is devoted to private residences. The western end, rising gradually to the eminence of Bramhall, is the fashionable quarter and, having been spared by the great fire of 1866, now contains the oldest mansions, as well as many new and elegant edifices. A marked feature of Bramhall is the well-kept gardens and lawn surrounding the houses, and generally open to public view through open fences, or over low hedges, or guards of stone.

The slope under Bramhall toward Peering's Oaks, is now, also, becoming an inhabited place, and many handsome residences are already erected.

Portland has several excellent hotels,-the Falmouth, situated on Middle Street, being the largest. It is a magnificent structure containing 240 rooms, and 10 large stores. Its front is of Albert-stone, and its sile walls of pressed brick, with Albert-stone trimmings. The building of the first National Bank, near by, is a fine building of red-sandstone. A little farther down is the fine granite front of the Casco Bank building. The Maine Savings Bank has its rooms on the corner of Plum street. Over it is the St. Julian Hotel, a neat little house conducted on the European plan. A short distance beyond is the handsome red-freestone building of the Canal Bank. The oldest of the public houses of the city, recently enlarged and brought up to the requirement of the times, is the United States Hotel, on the eastern side of Market square, and occupying the space between Federal and Congress streets. In Stanton Block, on Exchange street, the Board of Trade has its head-quarters and here, also, is the Merchants' Exchange, with its reading-room. Close by is the elegant building of the Merchants' Bank. On the corner of Middle and Exchange streets is the Post-Office, an elegant building of Vermont marble, occupying a square by itself. Among its red brick neighbors, its chaste white walls and elegant architecture give it a somewhat ethereal look. Its cost was half a million of dollars. In the second story is the United States Court room and offices. A little further up on the same Street, is the fine block of the Portland Saving's Bank,-then the Printer's Exchange, where several papers are issued. On Congress street, at the head of Exchange, is the City Government Building, an imposing structure, having a frontage of 150 feet, a length of 221 feet, with corner towers 75 feet high, and a central dome tLat swells upward 160 feet. Its front is of a light-colored Nova Scotia Albert-stone, and the sides and rear of pressed brick with Albert-stone trimmings. Its cost was $650,000. In it, besides city and county rooms and offices, are the Public Library, containing 26,000 volumes, and the library of the Maine Historical Society. There are also two excellent halls in the building, the largest of which, an elegant apartment, will conveniently seat 2,500 people.

At the foot of Hancock street on the corner of Fore street, stands "the old square wooden house upon the edge of the sea," in which the poet Longfellow was born. Turning to Commercial street, a short walk brings us to the Custom house, a handsome structure of granite,-which also has a front on Fore street. On the opposite side of Commercial street, not far away, is the extensive and massive "Thomas Block," built by Hon. William W Thomas, one of the oldest and most successful merchants of Portland,-who has added beauty and value to the city by the erection of many elegant buildings.

The site of the first settlement in Portland is now occupied by the depot, the immense elevator, and other buildings of the Grand Trunk Railway. The settlers were George Cleeves and Richard Tucker, who here built their house, cleared land, and planted the first corn-in 1632. They were squatters at first but in 1637, Cleeves went to England and obtained from Sir Ferdinand Gorges, proprietor of this region, a grant of the peninsula on which they had built, and other neighboring lands and islands. These he parcelled out to settlers, and a small community soon grew up, and became known as Casco. Fishing, cultivation of the soil, and trade with the Indians, formed the business. in 1658, Massachusetts usurped the government of Gorges' territory, and applied the name Falmouth to Casco Neck, and a wide extent of territory about this harbor but the peninsula continued to be called Casco Neck until its incorporation as Portland in 1786. Falmouth at first embraced, in addition to the Neck, the territory now belonging to the towns of Cape Elizabeth, Peering, Westbrook and the present Falmouth. With incorporation came the settlement of a minister, and the people built the first meeting-house on the point now occupied by the Portland Company's works. The first minister was Rev. George Burroughs, a graduate of Harvard University, who began to preach there in 1674. When the town was destroye d by the Indians in 1690, he went to Danvers and two years afterwardhe was executed at Salem as a wizard. When the savages fell upon the place in 1676, of the 40 families in town, only four or five lived upon the Neck. In 1678 old settlers returned and Fort Loyal, the largest fortification on the coast, was erected on a rocky eminence where the round-house of the Grand Trunk Railway now stands. A party of Huguenots, or French Protestants, came in as settlers about this time. The town now began to prosper,-mills were set up, and roads were laid out,-mere footpaths, however, as no vehicles had yet been introduced. In 1681, the first tavern was opened. In 1688, the population of Falmouth had increased to 600 or 700, comprising 80 families, 25 of whom were on the Neck. In 1689, during the second Indian war, a large body of their warriors approached the town. Major Church, arriving with two companies just at the nick of time, met the Indians in the valley on the north side of Bramhall's Hill, and, after a sharp fight, drove them off losing in the contest eleven killed and ten wounded. The next year, 500 French and Indians, after a siege of five days, captured the fort, and carried the garrison captive to Canada.

From this time until after the close of Queen Anne's war in 1713, the place remained "deserted Casco." With its settlement in 1715, begins the second period of its history, which ends with its destruction by Mowatt in 1775. The new settlement was on nearly the same site as the old. In 1727, Rev. Thomas Smith commenced in the place his long ministry of over sixty-eight years.

In the course of half a century a great trade with the West Indies, as well as with England, sprang up so that on Nov. 1, 1766, six large ships were lying in the harbor. At the commencement of the Revolution, 2,555 tons of shipping were owned in what is now Portland: and the population was about 2,000. Its patriotism was then as prompt as has ever since been. No vantage was allowed for the enforeement of the Stamp Act the hated stamps being seized and burned as soon as they arrived and when the tax was placed upon tea, a popular assemblage resolved "that we will not buy nor sell any India tea whatever" and when the British government closed the port of Boston in 1774, the bell of Falmouth meeting-house was muffled and tolled from sunrise to sunset. Incensed by his capture and detention here in the previous spring by a party of militia from Brunswick, Capt. Henry Mowatt, in October, 1775, entered the harbor with a fleet of five war vessels, and on the 18th of that month, laid the town in ashes. The citizens nobly refused to give up their arms to secure the immunity of their village, but mostly fled into the country, taking with them what they could carry of there goods. Out of 514 buildings, only 100 dwelling-houses were left standing. Thus for the third time, the town was desolated. With the acknowledgment of our independence as a nation, a period of prosperity again began. There were not only business but social changes. "Distinctions of rank and of dress," says Elwell, "gave way before the democratic spirit of the times cocked hats, bush wigs, and breeches passed out, and pantaloons came in. Capt. Joseph Titcomb created quite a sensation when he returned home from the South, in 1790, wearing the latter form of the nether garment, the first seen here." In 1785, the first brick house in town was commenced, and the first newspaper appeared, the "Falmouth Gazette," published by Benjamin Titcomb and Thomas B. Waite. The same author previously quoted says, "In 1786, the town was divided, and the Neck, with the name of Portland, started on an independent career, with a population of about 2,000. In 1793, wharves were extended into the harbor. In 1795, Nathaniel Peering built the first brick store. In 1799, the first bank was incorporated. Trade advanced westward from the old site at the foot of India street, and in 1800, Exchange (then called Fish) street was the principal seat of business." Then the wealthier merchants began to build them more stately residences, fitted to the increasing refinement and the more lavish expenditure. Such are the Matthew Cobb house, still standing at the corner of High and Free streets the mansion built by Ebenezer Storer, on the corner of High and Danforth street that built by Joseph H. Ingraharn, on State street and the fine old mansion on the corner of High and Spring streets, long the residence of the late General Wingate all giving evidence of the architectural taste and thorough workmanship of the olden time.


The non-intercourse policy adopted by the general government in 1806, and the embargo which followed in 1807, brought a disastrous and sudden check to all this prosperity. "Navigation fell off 9,000 tons in two years and all the various classes to whom it gave support were thrown out of employment eleven commercial houses stopped payment in 1807, and many others the following year. * * * In the war of 1812, which followed, our sea-faring people manned the privateers fitted out here, some of which ran a successful career, and did great damage to the enemy, while others were soon captured by superior force, and their crews held as prisoners."

The fourth period in the history of Portland begins with the peace of 1815, and continues to the commencement of the railroad era in 1846. This was a period of slow recovery from the disasters of the war. In March 1820 the district of Maine was separated from Massachusetts and admitted into the Union as a State, and Portland became its capital. In 1823, the first steamer ever brought to Maine arrived in the harbor. This was the Patent, a vessel of about 100 tons burthen, owned by Capt. Seward Porter, of this city, who had bought her in New York to run as a passenger-boat between Boston and Portland.
Both Jonathan Morgan and Captain Porter had previously expert. mented with steamboats of their own construction the Kennebec, built by the latter in 1822, having been the first to run in Casco Bay. In 1833, the steamer Chancellor Livingston, built under the direction of Robert Fulton, ran between Portland and Boston and the Cumberland Steam Navigation Company, formed in the same year, put the steamer Commodore MeDonough on the route in opposition. The Cumberland and Oxford Canal connecting the waters of Lake Sebago with Portland Harbor, was begun in 1828, completed in 1830, at a cost of $206,000. This helped the business of the town somewhat yet the steamboats and the Portland, Saco and Portsmouth Railroad, opened in 1842, took much Portland business to Boston. A new railroad connecting with Boston diverted also to that city the trade of northern Vermont, which had previously come through the north of the White Mountains to Portland. The fifth period commenced with the opening of the Atlantic and St. Lawrence Railroad to Canada, in 1853. To aid in its construction, Portland loaned its credit in bonds to the amount of $2,000,000. This Grand Trunk road brought the city in connection not only with the cities of Canada, but with the vast graingrowing regions of the West. Then came, as necessary adjuncts of the road, a winter line of steamers to Liverpool, and the construction of a new business avenue along the whole water front of the city, a mile long and 100 feet wide, running over tide water, across the heads of wharves. This is Commercial street, the scene of a large wholesale trade in flour, grain and groceries. Then came the building of the system of railroads, now consolidated under the name of the Maine Central, opening to the trade of Portland all parts of the State, and the Lower Provinces of Canada. Then Brown's Sugar House and the Portland Company's Works, and other Manufacturing establishments sprang up, giving employment to hundreds of people.

The financial panic of 1857-8 brought no serious disaster to the business of the city and trade had again attained to a flourishing condition, when the war of the Slaveholder's Rebellion broke out. Portland, as usual, was prompt to the demands of patriotism,-six companies of the First Maine regiment, Colonel Jackson, having been raised here. Later regiments organized in Portland were the 5th, 9th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 17th, and 25th. The latter was a nine-months regiment of Portland boys, led by Col. Francis Fessenden. In all, Portland contributed to the army and navy of the Union during the war, 5,000 men to whom she paid a bounty of $428,970. Of these, 421 lost their lives in battle, or by disease. Her citizens also contributed largely in aid of the sanitary and Christian commissions, and many of her noble women gave their services in nursing the sick and wounded.

One morning in June, 1863, the United States Revenue cutter Caleb Cushing, was missed from her moorings, and Revenue collector Jewett and Mayor MeLellan, promptly manning and arming the steamers Forest City and Chesapeake, found her in the hands of the rebels, becalmed near Green Islands. On discovering the approaching vessels, her captors set her on fire, and took to their boats. She presently blew up and the rebel crew were soon captured by the pursuing steamers, and lodged in Fort Preble, as prisoners of war. During the war, much shipping of Portland had been transferred to the British flag but the business of the city did not otherwise suffer much loss.

On the 4th of July, 1866, a carelessly thrown cracker set fire to a boat-builder's shop on Commercial street, whence the flames were soon communicated to Brown's Sugar House whence it swept on diagonally through the city, spreading like a fan as it went. Entire streets were swept away, includeing massive warehouses, lofty churches, splendid mansions, ancestral houses and the dwellings of the poor, in the oldest and most crowded parts of the city in one common ruin. For nearly half a day, and through the night until the small hours of the morning, the vast volumes of flame and smoke held sway, sending terror and anguish among the whole population. The fire ended near Munjoy's Hill. The morning saw fifteen hundred buildings laid in ashes fifty-eight streets and courts reduced to a wilderness of chimneys, amid which the most familiar inhabitant lost himself ten thousand people made homeless, and ten millions of property destroyed. Villages of tents and barracks sprang up on Munjoy, and generous contributions from abroad flowed in, providing food, shelter and clothing for the penniless.

In rebuilding, old streets were widened and straightened, and new ones opened and, after a lapse of ten years, the waste places were almost wholly rebuilt, far more roomy, convenient and handsome than before. Meantime the increase of the business facilities of the city went on. In 1873, the Boston and Maine Railroad was extended from South Berwick to Portland, taking on its way Old Orchard Beach. In 1875, the Portland and Rochester Railroad completed its connections with Nashua, N. H., and Worcester, Mass. The same year, the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad was completed through the Notch of the White Mountains. In the same period, various manufactures sprang up within the city or in its vicinity, as the rolling of railroad iron, the making of carriages, shoes, matches, stoneware, and drainpipes and these products find a market all over the United States, and, to some extent, in foreign countries. In 1870, Lake Sebago water was introduced by aqueduct all through the city, and the sewerage rendered more complete. Broad and regular streets, handsome and substantial business blocks, elegant and commodious dwellings, good drainage well-lighted streets, pure water, excellent air, convenient conveyance in and out of the city, by horse and steam cars,-numerous shadetrees, unsurpassed views of sea and shore, good schools, well-attended churches, and a moral, industrious, enterprising and courteous people- these render Portland one of the most desirable of cities for a home and business. There are now living in the city a large number of persons over eighty years of age.

Among those who have contributed largely to make Portland what it is in these various respects, must be mentioned the following names: George Cleeves, a first settler and proprietor, and Rev. Thomas Smith, the first have already been mentioned. Not only was Mr. Smith for a long period, the only minister, hut also the only physician in town. Another distinguished citizen of the anti-Revolutionary period was General Jedediah Preble, who had served in the French wars, and at the breaking out of the Revolution, was prevented from being the principal military officer of Massachusetts only by the infirmities of years. Worthy of honorable mention, also, are Theophilus Bradbury and David Wyer, earliest members of Cumberland bar. Samuel Freeman, school-teacher, trader, and Revolutionary patriot, a deacon of the First Parish forty-five years, delegate to the Provincial Congress, Judge of Probate forty-five years, post-master twenty-eight years, president of the Maine Bank and president of Bowdoin College for a number of years, with other offices also the publisher of several law-books. About 1770, Theophilus Parsons, afterwards Chief Justice of Massachusetts, became a citizen, studied law, and was admitted to the Cumberland bar. Sheriff William Tyng, most prominent of the Maine Tories, was also a citizen of this town. A little later was Simon Greenleaf, distinguished as a member of the Cumberland bar, a learned jurist and writer on law Stephen Longfellow, father of the poet, long in the successful practice of the law in the Cumberland courts Prentiss Mellen, chief justice of the State Ezekiel Whitman, member of Congress for four terms, and chief justice of the Supreme Court of Maine Samuel Fessenden, the able lawyer, orator and philanthropist Albion K. Parris, Governor of the State at the age of thirty-three years, and long in successful practice here William Pitt Preble, a judge and Minister to the Netherlands Arthur Ware, a learned writer on Maritime law, and judge of the United States District Court for forty-four years Ether Shepley, long chief justice of the State George F. Shepley, son of Ether, a brave soldier, and later, judge of the United States Circuit Court, who died a few years after his father. Of orators and statesmen of national reputation, Sargent S. Prentiss though he won his reputation in the south-was born here and William Pitt Fessenden, the distinguished U. S. senator and secretary of the Treasury, was always a citizen of this town, lion. George Evans, another U. S. senator from Maine, was for some time a resident, as was also Hon. George T. Davis, a former member of Congress from Massachusetts, and Hon. Horatio King, acting Postmaster General for sometime. Other noted citizens were Commodore Edward Preble, hero of Tripoli Rear Admiral Alden, who served in the war of 1812, and in the Mexican war and Commodore George H. Preble, who has served long and well. Of literary men who were sons or residents, or both, are Henry W. Longfellow, N. P. Willis, John Neal, Nathaniel Peering, Isaac McLellan, Grenville Mellen, Bishop Horatio Southgate, S. B. Beckett, D. C. Colesworthy, Mrs. E. Oakes Smith, Mrs. Elizabeth Akers Allen, J. H. Ingraham, Seba Smith, Charles P. Ilsley, Rev. Elijah Kellogg, George Payson, William Law Symonds, Sarah Payson Willis (Fanny Fern), Mrs. Samuel Coleman, Mrs. Ann S. Stephens, Mrs. Elizabeth (Payson) Prentice, Mrs. Clara Barnes Martin, Mrs. Margaret J. M. Sweat, Prof. Edward S. Morse, Mrs. Abba Goold Woolson, Rev. Dr. Cyrus Bartol, Rev. Dr. J. W. Chickering, Rev. Dr. Samuel Deane, Rev. Dr. Thomas Hill, Rev. Dr. Ichabod Nichols, Rev. Dr. Edward Payson, Rev. Asa Cummings, Rev. W. T. Dwight, Rev. William B. Hayden, Rev. Jason Whitman, Dr. J. W. Mighells, Dr. Isaac Ray, Hon. William Goold, Hon. William Willis, Col. Z. A. Smith, Henry A. S. Dearborn, John A. Poor, William B. Sewall, Walter Wells, and many others. Of artists, Portland has been the residence of Charles Codman, Charles O. Cole, J. R. Tilton, Mrs. Elizabeth Murray, Charles E. Becket, J. G. Cloudman, Harry B. Brown, Frederick Kimball, Miss Maria Becket, John B. Hudson, Charles J. Schumacher, and others. Eminent names among Portland merchants who have passed away, are Matthew Cobb, Asa Clapp, William Chadwick, Albert Newhall, Joseph Cross, Ralph Cross, Arthur McLellan, James Peering, Benjamin Willis, Samuel Trask, Reuben Morton3 and. John B. Brown. [See notice of latter on page 611.]

Portland has eighteen church-edifices, including the cathedrals of the Episcopal and Roman Catholic denominations. There are also as many as twenty-five societies more or less benevolent in their objects, besides several others of an intellectual and social nature.

Portland has six National Banks, with an aggregate capital of $3,150,000. They are the First National Bank, and Casco National Bank, each with a capital of $800,000 Canal National Bank, having a capital of $600,000 Merchants' National Bank and National Trader's Bank, each having a capital of $300,000 and the Cumberland National Bank, with a capital of $250,000. The Maine Savings Bank, in Portland, on the 1st of November, 1880, held in deposits and profits, the sum of $3,181,195.45 and the Portland Savings Bank, at the same date, held $4,480,770.32.

Portland has three daily papers, all well sustained. The Argus-ancient and respectable, and always fresh, bright, readable and democratic the Press, a reliable Republican sheet, always elegant and honorable the Advertiser, the oldest daily paper in the city, but at present, the most concise Republican in politics, but independent in its views. The Portland Sunday Times, is a lively secular weekly, devoted largely to social matters. It is independent in politics. The Morning News is a spirited journal, devoted to reform It is Greenback in politics, but generally independent in its views. Zion's Advocate, an organ of the Baptists, is an excellent denominational paper. The Christian Mirror, the organ of the Congregationalists in Maine, is ably edited, and wholly worthy of its patronage. The Portland Transcript, known to every Maine family, is unsurpassed in its field by any newspaper in the country. The North-East, published monthly, is the organ of the Episcopal church in Maine. The Masonic Token, issued quarterly, by Stephen Berry, is devoted to masonry, and would consequently be very useful to every member of that order. The Helping Hand, a monthly, Published by the Young Men's Christian Association, is well adapted to a worthy purpose. Our Home and Fireside Magazine, published monthly and Saturday by H. Hal-. lett & Co., is devoted almost wholly to stories. The People's Illustrated Journal and The Illustrated Household Magazine, published monthly, by Geo. Stinson & Co., are of the same class and of equal rank. The Globe, published every Saturday, is devoted to local news. The Portland Price Current, issued every Saturday, by M. N. Rich, is a sine qua non to the merchants of the city and its neighborhood. The City Item is a lively little daily, devoted to news. It is Greenback in its politics. The Floral Monthly, issued by W. E. Morton & Co., is a very desirable publication to all cultivators of flowers.


Museums & Historic Sites

History comes alive in Greater Portland—where everything from colonial homes to maritime museums are on display. Museum homes invite visitors to step back in time and gain a greater perspective and respect for the historic forces that continue to influence our lives.

Variety of interactive exhibits & activities for children and families inspiring discovery and imagination.

A popular destination for visitors from all over the world. Gardens open year-round. Cafe & Shop open seasonally.

Hear the mysterious, amazing and amusing inside stories as you explore history and architectural treasures.

Travel back in time to vintage Vacationland. Group tours welcome and available any day by reservation.

Offers a nationally recognized collection of American art in its elegantly appointed galleries in beautiful Rockland.

Tour a former United States military fort built from 1858 to 1864. The fort is now a park, accessible only by boat.

Features innovative exhibitions and public programs that showcase new perspectives and trends in contemporary art.

3rd oldest historical society in U.S. comprised of the Longfellow House, the Brown Library, the Museum & Shop.

Beautiful historic building completed in 1892. Genealogy Research, Library, Heritage Trail, Museum and Archives.

Exhibits, lighthouse & nature cruises, kids' pirate ship, demos, family activities, hands-on fun for everyone.

Scenic train ride along beautiful Casco Bay. Activities, historic railroad cars & exhibits.

Located in the lighthouse keepers' quarters, the museum chronicles the oldest lighthouse in Maine.

Features an operating collection of antique aircraft, automobiles, airplane shows, and more.

The PMA boasts significant holdings of American, European, and contemporary art, as well as iconic works from Maine.

Experience a connection to the past by visiting the world's oldest and largest museum of public transportation.

Explore galaxies, atoms, cells & the sea in our subterranean star dome. We offer shows, classes, & more.

Dedicated to the preservation of Portland’s Eastern Cemetery through activities like walking tours and ongoing education.

This Georgian house connects people to colonial roots and helps discover the relevance of history to our lives.

One of the country's historic homes of the mid-Victorian period, open May through October for tours.


Historic Homes

Those interested in a glimpse of the striking interiors and fine architecture of Greater Portland’s historic homes will find them walking the city’s residential streets, in the Victorian district of the restored commercial buildings in the Old Port, and in the adjacent neighborhoods.

Our region prides itself on constant attention to landmark preservation and revitalization. This deeply-rooted community appreciation of our heritage and historical sites has made the region a destination for both advanced and passive history sightseers.

historical homes have been preserved and have opened their doors to visitors wanting a more intimate view of the lives and living spaces of a bygone age.

Historic Home, Photo Credit: Corey Templeton

Visitors will discover the wonders of a colonial times in a captain’s home – the only pre-Revolutionary home in the city, enjoy guided tours of the home of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and enter into the grandeur of the mid-Victorian period by touring a downtown mansion, filled with original furnishings and exquisitely decorated during the holiday season.

Want to find more historic homes and sites in the area? Check out our list below


History of Old Port along Waterfront in Portland, Maine

The Abenaki Native Americans lived here for millenniums before Portuguese explorer Estêvão Gomez’s discovery in 1524. The next European visitor was Englishman Captain John Smith in 1614. The first of several attempts at settlement began in 1623. In 1786, the town of Portland was established. A key to growth was maritime trade because this is the closest U.S. port to Europe. The harbor’s success accelerated in 1820 when the city became the capital of the new state of Maine. A further boom occurred after 1853. That is when a railroad was connected to Montreal. Portland rapidly became the winter port serving Canada when other harbors in Atlantic Canada and the St. Lawrence River were icebound. After the 1920s, shipments at the wharfs declined and the area deteriorated. In the 1980s, a rebirth began along the waterfront and the Old Port neighborhood. That is what you are experiencing today: a blend of the historic and the new all facing Portland’s Harbor. Most of the vessels you will see are cruise ships, sightseeing tours and lobster boats like those shown here.

86 Commercial St, Portland, ME 04101

Welcome! Encircle Photos is your free travel resource for finding top places to see worldwide. This visual library includes travel guides showing major landmarks with descriptions, maps and addresses. Also explore the world daily with free emails and on Facebook. They feature a different city a week with one photo a day. Let travel photographer Dick Ebert show you the world!


Learn about our contributing partners, and how to become one.

Copyright ©2000-2021 Maine Historical Society, All Rights Reserved.

Many images on this website are for sale on VintageMaineImages.com.

Maine Memory Network is a project of the Maine Historical Society. Except for classroom educational use, images and content may not be reproduced without permission. See Terms of Use.


Anmerkungen

Addeddate 2014-12-16 13:36:35.586128 Bookplateleaf 0005 Call number 31833011876254 Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II External-identifier urn:oclc:record:1046523209 Foldout_seconds 770 Foldoutcount 4 Identifier historyofportlan1632will Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t3rv3m58r Invoice 11 Lccn a 14002451 Ocr ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Page-progression lr Pages 966 Ppi 500 Scandate 20141218142730 Scanner scribe2.indiana.archive.org Scanningcenter indiana


Schau das Video: The Racial History of Portland. Documentary Clip (Juli 2022).


Bemerkungen:

  1. Grolkis

    Dieses Thema ist einfach unvergleichlich :), es ist angenehm für mich))))

  2. Lauriano

    Ich denke, dass Sie nicht Recht haben. Ich kann die Position verteidigen.

  3. Voshura

    Danke, ich werde es versuchen

  4. Fenrikasa

    Ich stimme zu, eine sehr nützliche Sache

  5. Leonardo

    Das ist eine kostbare Sache

  6. Duhn

    Sie irren sich nicht, alles wahr

  7. Anguysh

    Wenn ich du wäre, würde ich das nicht tun.

  8. Chuchip

    Diese amüsante Nachricht



Eine Nachricht schreiben