Information

Reno DD-303 - Geschichte


Reno DD-303

Reno(DD-303: dp. 1.308; 1. 314'4"; b. 30'11", dr. 9'10", s. 33 kcpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21 " tt.; cl. Clemson) Die erste Reno wurde von der Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, Calif., 4. Juli 1918, vom Stapel gelassen, 22. Januar 1919; gesponsert von Miss Kathryn Baldwin Anderson; und in Auftrag gegeben 23. Juli 1920. Reno operierte an der Pazifikflotte entlang der Westküste bis Januar 1921, als sie sich anderen Flotteneinheiten auf einer Kreuzfahrt nach Valparaiso, Chile anschloss. Nach ihrer Rückkehr nahm sie ihre Operationen an der Westküste wieder auf und bewegte sich zwischen Washington und Lower California, mit gelegentlichen Fahrten nach Hawaii oder in die Kanalzone. British Columbia, um an den Feierlichkeiten zum kanadischen Diamond Jubilee teilzunehmen. Reno wurde am 18. Januar 1930 in San Diego außer Dienst gestellt und am 8. Juli 1930 von der Navy-Liste gestrichen Rüstung.


USS Reno (CL96)

Die USS RENO war einer der leichten Kreuzer der OAKLAND-Klasse und das zweite Schiff der Marine, das diesen Namen trug. Der erste RENO (DD 303) wurde jedoch zu Ehren von Walter E. Reno benannt, während CL 96 zu Ehren der Stadt in Nevada benannt wurde. Im November 1946 in Bremerton, Washington, außer Dienst gestellt, wurde die RENO im März 1949 in CLAA 96 umklassifiziert, blieb jedoch in der Pazifik-Reserveflotte, bis sie im März 1959 von der Navy-Liste gestrichen wurde. Sie wurde im März 1962 zur Verschrottung verkauft.

Allgemeine Eigenschaften: Ausgezeichnet: 1940
Kiellegung: 1. August 1941
Gestartet: 23. Dezember 1942
In Dienst gestellt: 28. Dezember 1943
Außer Dienst gestellt: 4. November 1946
Bauherr: Bethlehem Steel Co., San Francisco, Kalifornien.
Antriebssystem: Getriebeturbinen, 75.000 PS
Propeller: zwei
Länge: 541,7 Fuß (165,1 Meter)
Breite: 53,15 Fuß (16,2 Meter)
Tiefgang: 20,7 Fuß (6,3 Meter)
Hubraum: ca. 8.340 Tonnen voll beladen
Geschwindigkeit: 32,5 Knoten
Flugzeug: keine
Bewaffnung: zwölf 12,7 cm 5-Zoll/38-Kaliber-Geschütze in sechs Doppellafetten, 16 x 40-mm-Geschütze, 16 x 20-mm-Geschütze, acht Torpedorohre
Besatzung: 63 Offiziere und 785 Mannschaften

Dieser Abschnitt enthält die Namen von Seeleuten, die an Bord der USS RENO gedient haben. Es ist keine offizielle Auflistung, sondern enthält die Namen der Matrosen, die ihre Informationen übermittelt haben.

USS RENO wurde von Bethlehem Steel Co., San Francisco, Kalifornien, am 1. August 1941 auf Kiel gelegt, vom 23. Dezember 1942 gesponsert von Frau August C. Fröhlich gestartet und am 28. Dezember 1943 unter dem Kommando von Kapitän Ralph C. Alexander in Dienst gestellt.

Nach dem Shakedown vor San Diego verließ RENO am 14. April 1944 San Francisco, um sich der 5. Flotte anzuschließen. Als aktive Einheit in der Task Force 58 von Vizeadmiral Marc A. Mitscher kam sie zum ersten Mal in Kontakt mit dem Feind, indem sie am 19.-20. Mai Luftangriffe auf Marcus Island unterstützte. Drei Tage später unterstützte sie auch Streiks auf Wake Island.

In den Monaten Juni und Juli schloss sich RENO den schnellen Trägern bei Überraschungsangriffen gegen Saipan, 11. Juni, Pagan Island, 12.-13. Juni, und gegen die Vulkan- und Bonin-Inseln - Iwo Jima, Haha Jima und Chichi Jima - am 15. -16. Juni. Drei Tage später half sie dabei, einen großen japanischen Trägerstreit abzuwehren, der die alliierte Invasion von Saipan in der Schlacht im philippinischen Meer besiegte.

Vom 20. Juni bis 8. Juli beteiligte sich RENO an den Operationen zur Eroberung von Saipan, deckte dann vom 17. bis 24. Juli die Landungen auf Guam ab und beteiligte sich 2 Tage später an den Streiks gegen die Palau-Inseln vom 26. bis 29. Wieder nach Norden schwenkend, wurde ein letzter Schlag auf den Bonin-Inseln vom 4. bis 5. August durchgeführt, und am 7. September kehrte die Arbeitsgruppe zum Palaus zurück.

Weiter westlich nahm RENO vom 9. bis 13. September an Razzien gegen Mindanao und die angrenzenden philippinischen Inseln teil, unterstützte die Invasion von Palau vom 15. bis 20. September und unterstützte am 21. und 22. September Angriffe auf Manila und Umgebung. Beim Angriff auf Nansei Shoto am 8. Oktober kam RENO mit TF 38 den Heimatinseln Japans näher als jede andere große Einheit der US-Flotte.

Während des dreitägigen Angriffs auf Formosa vom 12. bis 14. Oktober schoss RENO sechs feindliche Flugzeuge ab. Auf dem Höhepunkt der Schlacht stürzte ein Torpedoflugzeug ab und explodierte auf dem Hauptdeck der RENO achtern. Obwohl Turret Six durch die Explosion teilweise außer Gefecht gesetzt wurde, gelang es dem Turmkapitän, sein Feuer gegen die angreifenden Flugzeuge und Schiffe aufrechtzuerhalten.

Am 24. Oktober, 4 Tage nach der ersten Invasion von Leyte, wurde die TF 38 während der Unterstützung von Luftangriffen gegen das Gebiet von Luzon einem groß angelegten Luftangriff von Landflugzeugen aus Clark Field ausgesetzt. Der leichte Träger PRINCETON (CVL 23) wurde getroffen und musste sich aus der Einsatzgruppe zurückziehen. RENO, die zur Bekämpfung ihrer Brände und Rettungskräfte eingesetzt wurde, kam fünfmal nebenher, konnte aber wegen der starken Hitze und des Rauchs nicht bleiben. Während RENO Verwundete evakuierte und versuchte, die Brände unter Kontrolle zu bringen, zerschmetterte das Flugdeck der PRINCETON eine von Renos 40-mm-Montierungen. Die Bemühungen, den Träger zu retten, wurden fortgesetzt, aber nachdem PRINCETONs Torpedosprengkopf-Stauraum explodiert war, wurde RENO befohlen, sie zu versenken. Am 25. Oktober reiste RENO nach seiner Rückkehr zur Task Force nach Norden, um die nordjapanische Task Force zum Abschluss der Schlacht von Cape Enga o – dem letzten Gefecht in der Schlacht um den Golf von Leyte – anzugreifen.

In der Nacht zum 3. November wurde RENO weit vor der San-Bernardino-Straße an Backbord von dem japanischen U-Boot I-41 torpediert. Geschleppt 1.500 Meilen nach Ulithi für vorübergehende Reparaturen, dampfte sie dann aus eigener Kraft nach Charleston, wo sie am 22. März zur Reparatur in den Navy Yard eintrat. Sieben Monate später tauchte sie auf und dampfte nach Texas, dann zurück nach Charleston, um Schlafplätze hinzuzufügen. Sie meldete sich zum "Magic-Carpet"-Dienst und machte zwei Läufe nach Le Havre, Frankreich, und zurück mit Armeetruppen.

Anfang 1946 dampfte die RENO nach Port Angeles, Washington, wo sie am 4. November 1946 außer Dienst gestellt wurde und in die Pacific Reserve Fleet eintrat, die in Bremerton anlegte. Sie wurde am 18. März 1949 in CLAA 96 umklassifiziert und blieb in Bremerton, bis ihr Name am 1. März 1959 von der Navy-Liste gestrichen wurde und ihr Rumpf am 22. März 1962 an Coal Export Co., New York, verkauft wurde.


Reno DD-303 - Geschichte

Die USS Reno, ein 1190-Tonnen-Zerstörer der Clemson-Klasse, gebaut in San Francisco, Kalifornien, wurde im Juli 1920 in Dienst gestellt. Sie verbrachte den größten Teil ihrer Karriere an der US-Pazifikküste und unternahm gelegentlich Kreuzfahrten bis nach Chile, Hawaii und in die Karibik und Westatlantik zur Teilnahme an Manövern der US-Flotte. Nach weniger als einem Jahrzehnt aktiven Diensts wurde Reno im Januar 1930 außer Dienst gestellt und 1931 verschrottet.

Die USS Reno wurde zu Ehren von Lieutenant Commander Walter E. Reno (1881-1917) benannt, der im November 1917 beim Kommandieren der USS Chauncey (Zerstörer Nr. 3) sein Leben verlor.

Diese Seite enthält alle Ansichten, die wir im Zusammenhang mit der USS Reno (DD-303) haben, oder enthält Links zu ihnen.

Wenn Sie Reproduktionen mit höherer Auflösung als die hier vorgestellten digitalen Bilder wünschen, lesen Sie: "Wie man fotografische Reproduktionen erhält"

Klicken Sie auf das kleine Foto, um eine größere Ansicht desselben Bildes anzuzeigen.

Verankert im Hafen von San Diego, Kalifornien, um 1920.
Fotografiert vom Pier Studio, San Diego.

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung von ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard, USNR, 1969.

Foto vom historischen Zentrum der US-Marine.

Online-Bild: 73 KB 740 x 610 Pixel

In San Diego, Kalifornien, um 1920.
Fotografiert vom Pier Studio, San Diego.

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung von ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard, USNR, 1969.

US Naval Historical Center Foto.

Online-Bild: 75 KB 740 x 510 Pixel

Vor Anker, in den frühen 1920er Jahren.

US Naval Historical Center Foto.

Online-Bild: 84 KB 740 x 610 Pixel

ca. 1923-1930 fotografiert.

Offizielles Foto der US-Marine, jetzt in den Sammlungen des Nationalarchivs.

Online-Bild: 57 KB 740 x 600 Pixel

Reproduktionen dieses Bildes können auch über das fotografische Reproduktionssystem des Nationalarchivs erhältlich sein.

Unterwegs in Puget Sound, Washington, auf dem Weg zum Puget Sound Navy Yard, Juli 1927.
Fotografiert von Martin.

Offizielles Foto der US-Marine aus den Sammlungen des Naval Historical Center.

Online-Bild: 85 KB 740 x 610 Pixel

In den 1920er Jahren unterwegs.

Schenkung von Leutnant Gustave Freret, USN (im Ruhestand), 1972.

Foto vom historischen Zentrum der US-Marine.

Online-Bild: 44 KB 740 x 300 Pixel

Rauchen während der Übungen, ca. 1923-1930.
Das Schiff in der Ferne scheint die USS Thompson (DD-305) zu sein.

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung von Donald M. McPherson, 1969.

US Naval Historical Center Foto.

Online-Bild: 61 KB 740 x 475 Pixel

ca. 1923-1930 fotografiert.

Foto vom historischen Zentrum der US-Marine.

Online-Bild: 73 KB 740 x 515 Pixel

Ausgezogen und warten auf Verschrottung, in Alameda, Kalifornien, 22. März 1931.
Beachten Sie ihren faulen Boden. Propellerschutz und Propellerwellenstützen wurden weggeschnitten.

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung von Donald M. McPherson, 1970.

US Naval Historical Center Foto.

Online-Bild: 57 KB 740 x 490 Pixel

Das folgende Foto zeigt ein Schiff, das möglicherweise die USS Reno (DD-303) ist:

Zerstörer, der eine Nebelwand legt, um 1921

Dieses Schiff ist entweder USS Stoddert (DD-302) oder USS Reno (DD-303).

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung von Donald M. McPherson, 1977.

Foto vom historischen Zentrum der US-Marine.

Online-Bild: 83 KB 740 x 450 Pixel

Zusätzlich zu den oben präsentierten Bildern scheint das Nationalarchiv mindestens eine weitere Ansicht der USS Reno (DD-303) zu haben. Die folgende Liste enthält dieses Bild:

Das unten aufgeführte Bild befindet sich NICHT in den Sammlungen des Naval Historical Center.
Versuchen Sie NICHT, es mit den auf unserer Seite "So erhalten Sie fotografische Reproduktionen" beschriebenen Verfahren zu erhalten.

Reproduktionen dieses Bildes sollten über das fotografische Reproduktionssystem des Nationalarchivs für Bilder verfügbar sein, die sich nicht im Besitz des Naval Historical Center befinden.


Reno DD-303 - Geschichte

Diese Seite bietet zusätzliche Ansichten im Zusammenhang mit USS Reno (DD-303).

Wenn Sie Reproduktionen mit höherer Auflösung als die hier vorgestellten digitalen Bilder wünschen, lesen Sie: "Wie man fotografische Reproduktionen erhält"

Klicken Sie auf das kleine Foto, um eine größere Ansicht desselben Bildes anzuzeigen.

Vorsicht! USS Reno (DD-303) ist auf vielen der unten gezeigten Fotografien aus der Ferne, teilweise und/oder im Hintergrund zu sehen. Überprüfen Sie die Bilder sorgfältig und lesen Sie die Bildunterschriften sorgfältig, bevor Sie Ansichten auswählen, um sie darzustellen.

Zerstörer-Division DREIUNDDREISSIG

Gemeinsam vor San Diego, Kalifornien, am 16. April 1921 festgemacht.
Fotografiert vom Pier Studio, San Diego.
Diese Schiffe sind (von links nach rechts):
USS Stoddert (DD-302)
USS Paul Hamilton (DD-307)
USS Reno (DD-303)
USS Kennedy (DD-306)
USS Thompson (DD-305) und
USS Farquhar (DD-304)

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung von ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard, USNR, 1969.

Foto vom historischen Zentrum der US-Marine.

Online-Bild: 75 KB 740 x 480 Pixel

Zerstörer-Division DREIUNDDREISSIG

Vor San Diego, Kalifornien, festgemacht.
Wahrscheinlich fotografiert vom Pier Studio, San Diego, am 16. April 1921.
Diese Schiffe sind (von links nach rechts):
USS Stoddert (DD-302)
USS Paul Hamilton (DD-307)
USS Reno (DD-303)
USS Kennedy (DD-306)
USS Thompson (DD-305) und
USS Farquhar (DD-304)

US Naval Historical Center Foto.

Online-Bild: 75 KB 740 x 600 Pixel

USS Kanawha (AO-1) mit dreizehn Zerstörern neben San Diego, Kalifornien, in den frühen 1920er Jahren.
Fotografiert von Bunnell, 414 E Street, San Diego.
Anwesende Schiffe sind in Foto # NH 98029 (vollständige Bildunterschrift) identifiziert.
Sammlung des Chief Quartermaster John Harold, USN.

US Naval Historical Center Foto.

Online-Bild: 86 KB 740 x 465 Pixel

Mit zwölf Zerstörern an der Seite, in den frühen 1920er Jahren. Zu den anwesenden Schiffen gehören (von links nach rechts):
USS Jacob Jones (DD-130)
USS-Rumpf (DD-330)
USS Thompson (DD-305)
USS Corry (DD-334)
USS Kennedy (DD-306)
USS Reno (DD-303)
USS Cuyama (AO-3 .)
USS Stoddert (DD-302)
USS Yarborough (DD-314)
USS Sloat (DD-316)
USS Litchfield (DD-336)
USS Shubrick (DD-268)
USS Young (DD-312)

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung von Mrs. C.R. DeSpain, 1973. Aus den Sammelalben von Fred M. Butler.

US Naval Historical Center Foto.

Online-Bild: 70 KB 740 x 490 Pixel

"Kombinierte Atlantik- und Pazifikflotte in der Bucht von Panama, 21. Januar 1921"

Linker Abschnitt (von drei) eines Panoramafotos von M.C. Mayberry, von Mayberry und Smith, Shreveport, Louisiana. Andere Ansichten in der Serie sind Foto #s: NH 86082-B und NH 86082-C.
Zu den Schiffen in diesem Bild gehören (von links nach rechts): USS Paul Hamilton (DD-307), USS Farquhar (DD-304), USS Simpson (DD-221), USS Thompson (DD-305), USS Parrott (DD-218), USS Reno (DD-303), USS Dorsey (DD-117), USS Dent (DD-116) und USS Waters (DD-115).
Chilenische Zerstörer sind in der Mitte entfernt.

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Naval Historical Foundation, D.H. Criswell Collection.

Foto vom historischen Zentrum der US-Marine.

Online-Bild: 47 KB 740 x 340 Pixel

Im Hafen von San Diego, Kalifornien, um die frühen 1920er Jahre.
USS Reno (DD-303) ist in der richtigen Entfernung und der Bug der USS Paul Hamilton (DD-307) ist links zu sehen.
Wahrscheinlich fotografiert vom Pier Studio, San Diego.

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung von ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard, USNR, 1969.

Foto vom historischen Zentrum der US-Marine.

Online-Bild: 70 KB 740 x 550 Pixel

Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Washington

Zerstörer und andere Schiffe auf der Navy Yard, 11. Januar 1922.
Zu den identifizierbaren Schiffen gehören (von vorne nach hinten):
USS McLanahan (DD-264)
USS Thompson (DD-305)
USS Reno (DD-303)
USS Kennedy (DD-306)
USS New York (BB-34) und
USS Texas (BB-35.

Foto vom historischen Zentrum der US-Marine.

Online-Bild: 104 KB 740 x 595 Pixel

Im Trockendock im New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn, New York, ca. Oktober-November 1923.
Rechts ist der Bug der USS Reno (DD-303) zu sehen.
Beachten Sie die Wasserbombengestelle und Propellerschutzvorrichtungen von Litchfield.

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung von ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard, USNR, 1969.

Foto vom historischen Zentrum der US-Marine.

Online-Bild: 89 KB 740 x 455 Pixel

Mitte der 1920er Jahre vor Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii.
Zu den anwesenden Zerstörern gehören:
USS Farquhar (DD-304), links
USS Reno (DD-303), Zentrum
USS William Jones (DD-308), rechts Mitte
und USS Rumpf (DD-330).
Fotografiert vom Shura Studio, Honolulu.

Mit freundlicher Genehmigung von Charles Sass, 1979.

US Naval Historical Center Foto.

Online-Bild: 61 KB 740 x 450 Pixel

Insel Culebra, Puerto Rico

Zerstörer vor Anker in der Bucht von Culebra, während der 1920er Jahre.
Zu den identifizierbaren Schiffen gehören:
USS Somers (DD-301), rechts
USS Reno (DD-303), links
USS Henshaw (DD-278), linke Mitte
USS Flusser (DD-289), jenseits von Henshaw
USS Sinclair (DD-275), Mitte.

Sammlung von Admiral Arleigh A. Burke, USN.

Foto vom historischen Zentrum der US-Marine.

Online-Bild: 47 KB 740 x 450 Pixel

USS Reno (DD-303) (links)
und
USS Farragut (DD-300) (rechts)

Vor der Küste einer der Hawaii-Inseln, um 1925.

Foto aus dem Fotoalbum von Albert Chamberlain, gestiftet von Colonel Carl Mahakian, USMCR, 1975.

Foto vom historischen Zentrum der US-Marine.

Online-Bild: 66 KB 740 x 515 Pixel

Blick auf das Navy Liberty Dock bei "Frisco", um 1926.
Die anwesenden Boote stammen von USS Melville (AD-2), USS Maryland (BB-46) und USS Reno (DD-303).
Fotografiert von Gustave Freret.

Schenkung von Leutnant Gustave Freret, USN (im Ruhestand), 1972.

Foto vom historischen Zentrum der US-Marine.

Online-Bild: 98 KB 740 x 460 Pixel

Ein weiteres verwandtes Foto: Der Bug der USS Reno (DD-303) ist in Foto # NH 77259, einer Ansicht eines anderen Motivs, weithin sichtbar.


Reno DD-303 - Geschichte

USS Aroostook (CM-3) Geschichte

EIN BISSCHEN GESCHICHTE : ". 02DEC30: Der Wasserflugzeug-Tender Aroostook (CM-3), ein Versorgungs- und zwei Patrouillengeschwader der Battle Fleet meldeten sich zum Dienst an Commander Base Force und stellten damit diesem Kommando seine erste Luftfahrtorganisation zur Verfügung. " http: //www.history.navy.mil/branches/avchr4.htm [02JAN2001]

EIN BISSCHEN GESCHICHTE : Aroostook (CM-3). #108er@cox.net [19. MÄRZ 2001]

(Str: dp. 3.800 l. 395'0" b. 52'2" dr. 16' (Mittelwert) s. 20.0 k. cpl. 313 a. 1 5", 2 3", 2 .30-cal. Colt mg cl. Aroostook)

Die zweite Aroostook wurde ursprünglich als Passagierdampfer Bunker Hill von der Werft William Cramp and Sons in Philadelphia gebaut. Sie wurde am 26. März 1907 ins Leben gerufen und von Miss Rose Elizabeth Fitzgerald, der Tochter des Bürgermeisters von Boston, gesponsert. Bunker Hill wurde am 2. November 1917 von der Marine auf einen möglichen Einsatz als Passagier- und Frachtdampfer inspiziert. Bunker Hill wurde am 12. November 1917 von der Navy von den Eastern Steamship Lines in Boston erworben und in der General Order No. 343 vom 15. November 1917 in Aroostook umbenannt und erhielt die Identifikationsnummer (Id. No.) 1256. Aroostook war in Auftrag gegeben bei der Boston Navy Yard am 7. Dezember 1917, Comdr. James H. Tomb im Kommando.

Als die Schiffsbesatzung organisiert und zusammengestellt wurde, ging der Umbau des Schiffes zum "Minenpflanzer" zügig voran. Nach dem Abbau der hölzernen Aufbauten des ehemaligen Kreuzfahrtschiffes wurde die von Comdr. Das Grab in industrielle "Banden" von Nieten, Abdichtern, Schiffsmonteuren und Zimmerleuten - wurde auf verfügbare Plätze in Werften verstreut und lebte auf anderen Schiffen, wobei alle Arbeiten an dem Schiff trotz eines strengen Winters durchgeführt wurden. Schließlich wurde ihre Crew auf ein nahegelegenes Krankenhausschiff verlegt, wo sie lebten, bis eine Unterkunft an Bord gefunden wurde. Die Schiffsoffiziere haben sich inzwischen in den vom Schiff entfernten Aufbauten niedergelassen.

Aroostook führte vom 6. bis 10. Juni einen kurzen Shakdown in der Massachusetts Bay durch und kam am 10. Juni 1918 im Hafen von Boston an, um Minen zu laden. Am nächsten Tag segelte sie in die Gewässer vor Cape Cod und segelte am 12. Juni in Begleitung von Shawmut, dem Minenpflanzer Saranac (Id. Nr. 1702) und dem Tender Black Hawk (Id. Nr. 2140) nach Schottland.

Vor dem Auslaufen dieser Schiffe waren Bedenken hinsichtlich der Treibstoffkapazitäten von Aroostook und Shawmut aufgekommen, da ihre verkürzten Probefahrten vor Provincetown ergeben hatten, dass sie mehr Treibstoff verbrauchten als erwartet. Angesichts einer unbestimmten Verzögerung haben Kapitän Wat T. Cluverius und Comdr. Roscoe Bulmer entwickelte einen Plan, um die Schiffe auf See von Black Hawk aus zu betanken. Sie beschafften dafür genügend Ölschläuche, und die Schiffe fuhren alle entsprechend.

Beide Betankungen auf See - die erste galt als "neuartiges Unternehmen" und wurde trotz eines Sturms durchgeführt - wurden erfolgreich durchgeführt, und die Schiffe kamen ohne weitere Zwischenfälle an. Aroostook erreichte am 28. Juni ihr Ziel Cromarty Firth. Sie fuhr zu den Minenfeldern in der Nordsee und kam dort am 16. Juli an, um ihre Arbeit als Minenpflanzer bei der Mine Squadron 1 anzutreten 2.510 Minen, die während ihrer "Exkursionen" in die Nordsee 4.066 Meilen dampfen.

Der Waffenstillstand, der die Geschütze an der Westfront zum Stillstand brachte, bedeutete eine Einstellung der Bergbauoperationen. Als ihre Aufgabe erledigt war, segelte Aroostook am 14. Dezember 1918 in Begleitung von Shawmut von Portland, England, in die Vereinigten Staaten und kam zwei Tage nach Weihnachten in Hampton Roads an. Am nächsten Tag entlud sie ihre Minenladung auf Lastkähne im York River. Aroostook blieb bis 1919 in der Gegend der Hampton Roads, verlagerte Minen und brachte Versuchsminen vom Minenpflanzer Baltimore zum Minendepot in Yorktown, Virginia.

Aroostook wurde am 1. April 1919 in die Norfolk Navy Yard gebracht, um Änderungen vorzunehmen, um sie als Basisschiff für die NC-Flugboote auszustatten, die für einen Transatlantikflug bestimmt waren. Sie erhielt Tanks für 5.000 Gallonen Benzin, Wiegen für zwei kleine Curtiss MF-Flugboote und Modifikationen an ihren Anlege- und Abstellräumen, damit sie die Männer unterbringen konnte, die für die Wartung von Wasserflugzeugen benötigt wurden. Auf dem Weg nach New York am 9. April traf Aroostook am Morgen des 10. April im North River ein, um zusätzliche "Flugzeuglager" und Vorräte für den bevorstehenden Flug an Bord zu nehmen. Sie segelte am Morgen des 27. April 1919 nach Trepassey Bay Neufundland.

Nach kurzem Ankern vor Miquelon legte Aroostook am 2. Mai in Trepassey Bay ein, kurz darauf schlossen sich andere Schiffe an, die den NC-Flug unterstützen sollten. Aroostook beendete am 3. Mai die Verankerung von Wasserflugzeugen und versuchte am 5. und 6. Mai, dem am 3. Mai eingetroffenen Tanker Hisko (Id. Nr. 1953) vor dem auf Grund getriebenen Strand zu helfen .

Aroostook begann mit der Betreuung der NC-Boote am 10. Mai mit der Ankunft von NC-1 und NC-3. NC-4 traf am Nachmittag des 15. ein und machte achtern des Schiffes fest, das letzte der NC-Division, das vor Beginn des Fluges Hafen machte. Am späten Nachmittag, dem 16. Mai, versammelten sich die Besatzungen der großen Flugboote achtern an Bord der Aroostook, wo der Flugkommandant Comdr. John H. Towers dankte Captain Tomb für die Gastfreundschaft seines Schiffes. Tomb wettete Towers gutmütig darauf, dass sein Schiff Plymouth, England, erreichen würde, bevor die Flugboote eintrafen.

Bald darauf bemannten die Besatzungen die drei großen Flugboote und starteten ihre Motoren. NC-4, kommandiert von Lt. Comdr. Albert C. Read, östlich von Aroostooks Heck und startete etwas mehr als eine Stunde später, gefolgt von Towers' NC-3 und vor Lt. Comdr. P. N. L. Bellingers NC-1.

Nachdem sie von Hisko aus aufgetankt hatte, holte Aroostook die Wasserflugzeug-Liegeplätze, die sie fast zwei Wochen zuvor gelegen hatte, und verließ am Morgen des 17. Mai den Hafen von Trepassey in Richtung Plymouth. Sie kam am 23. an, um die Ankunft der fliegenden Boote abzuwarten. Letztendlich beendete nur NC-4 den Flug - NC-1 und NC-3 wurden beide auf See gezwungen und ihre Besatzungen von vorbeifahrenden Schiffen gerettet - am 31. Mai um 14:20 Uhr in Sichtweite von Aroostooks Aussichtspunkten. Das Flugboot landete acht Minuten später, und ihre Besatzung schiffte sich um 15:00 Uhr an Bord der Aroostook „zu Unterkunft und Verpflegung“ ein.

Nach der Demontage der NC-4 nahm Aroostook die Motoren, den Rumpf und die Tragflächen an verschiedenen Tagen an Bord und schloss den Prozess bis zum 17. Juni ab. Am nächsten Tag segelte das Schiff zu den Azoren und erreichte am 23. Juni Ponta Delaada. Anschließend setzte sie ihre Reise in die Vereinigten Staaten fort und erreichte am 2. Juli 1919 New York. Nach dem Auftanken, dem Auftanken von Wasser und Proviant und den Reisereparaturen in Brooklyn fuhr das Schiff am 15. Juli nach Newport, RI, und blieb dort. warten auf Bestellungen, bis zum 23.

Aroostook stand am 23. Juli aus dem Hafen von Newport und dampfte nach Hampton Roads, um am nächsten Tag anzukommen. Sie transportierte dann am 31. Juli einen Zug von Männern nach Portsmouth, Virginia, und nahm Vorräte auf, bevor sie nach Portsmouth verlagerte, um Minen und weitere Vorräte zu laden, und die Verladung bis zum 7. August abgeschlossen. Nach einer Zeit der Erholung und Freiheit für ihre Besatzung segelte Aroostook am 12. August zur Colon-Panama-Kanal-Zone. Sie erreichte ihr Ziel am 18. August und passierte am folgenden Tag den Panamakanal.

Anschließend tankte sie am 26. in Salina Cruz, Mexiko, und erreichte am 1. September San Diego. Am 10. September fuhr sie zum Mare Island Navy Yard und traf am nächsten Tag ein, um die von Hampton Roads gebrachten Minen zu entladen. Sie kehrte am 22. September nach San Diego zurück, um Luftschiffe zu starten, und blieb vom 24. September bis zur zweiten Dezemberwoche 1919 in San Diego, wo sie auf Bestellungen wartete und Maschinen überholt wurde.

Aroostook verließ San Diego am 13. Dezember und dampfte nach Mare Island, wo er am nächsten Tag ankam und dort einen Zug von Männern für den Transport nach San Diego einschiffte. Unterwegs am 17. kam sie am 18. wieder in San Diego an.

Aroostook war eines von zwei Schiffen der Mine Detachment (das andere war Baltimore), die die Flotte zwischen 1919 und 1920 unmittelbar nach ihrer Ankunft im Pazifik in den Pazifik begleitet hatten Luftabteilung, Pazifikflotte.

Vom 18. Dezember 1919 bis 16. Februar 1920 operierte Aroostook von San Diego aus und betreute in den nächsten Monaten Flugeinheiten in San Diego, Santa Barbara und San Pedro, bis sie am 14. d von dort zum Mare Island Navy Yard. Zu Beginn dieser Verfügbarkeitsperiode erhielt das Schiff die alphanumerische Rumpfbezeichnung CM-3.

Als Flugzeugtender der Pazifikflotte zugeteilt, segelte Aroostook – unter dem Kommando von Kapitän Henry C. Mustin, einem der Pioniere der Marinefliegerei – am 14. August 1920 nach Sausalito, Kalifornien, und von dort nach San Diego, wo er am 19. Das Schiff spannte Wasserflugzeuge und nahm bis in den Herbst 1920 mit der Flotte an taktischen Übungen in den Gewässern vor der Küste Südkaliforniens teil. Aroostook reiste dann nach Magdalena Bay, Mexiko, und setzte dort ihre Unterstützungsoperationen mit den Flugzeugstaffeln der Flotte vom 31. Dezember 1920 bis 8. März 1921 fort, wonach sie zu ihrer Basis in San Diego zurückkehrte.

Aroostook landete auf der Insel Guadalupe in Mexiko und kümmerte sich dort um Flugzeuge, bis er am 30. Mai nach San Diego zurückkehrte. Sie operierte lokal in den Gewässern vor der Küste Südkaliforniens bis zum Juni 1922, einer Zeit aktiver Operationen, die von Instandhaltungs- und Reparaturarbeiten in San Diego unterbrochen wurde. Sie operierte für den Rest des Jahres 1922 und bis 1923 vor Ort auf der Naval Air Station (NAS), San Diego. Nach einer Reparaturzeit auf Mare Island segelte Aroostook am 28. November 1923 nach San Diego.

Aroostook segelte kurz darauf in Begleitung von Jason (AV-2) nach Panama und unterstützte den Flugbetrieb bei den jährlichen Wintermanövern der Flotte. Nach einer lokalen Operation von San Diego später in diesem Jahr kehrte sie in panamaische Gewässer zurück, es ist Zeit nach Coco Solo, auf der atlantischen Seite des Kanals, um Flugzeuge zu montieren und zu betreiben und an den Winterflottenübungen teilzunehmen. Ebenfalls im Jahr 1924 betreute das Schiff während einer fortgeschrittenen Basisübung in diesem Sommer das Scouting Squadron (VS) 2 in Sand Point, Washington, und wurde bis November im Mare Island Navy Yard repariert und umgebaut.

Am 27. April 1925 kam Aroostook in hawaiianischen Gewässern an und operierte mit der Flotte von Pearl Harbor aus während des Sommers zu Übungen in den Lahaina Roads und in Nawiliwili, Kauai. Ausgewählt als eines der Flugzeugwachschiffe für den Flug von der Westküste nach Hawaii der PN-9-Flugboote der Marine (PN-9 No. 1 unter dem Kommando von Comdr. John Rodgers und PN-9 No. AP Snody) segelte Aroostook am Morgen des 29. August 1925 zur Station "Vize". Sie erreichte ihre Station am späten Nachmittag des 30. August.

Früher am selben Tag waren Rodgers und Snody von San Pablo Bay, Kalifornien, nach Hawaii gestartet. Weniger als fünf Stunden später zwang jedoch ein Ölleck Snodys PN-9 Nr. 3 zum Absturz. Auch an Bord von Rodgers war nicht alles in Ordnung, als er feststellte, dass der Benzinverbrauch an Bord der PN-9 Nr. 1 um sechs Gallonen pro Stunde höher war als bei Testflügen angegeben. Bevor das Flugzeug 1.200 Meilen geflogen war, entschied Rodgers, dass er neben einem der Flugzeugwächter landen und tanken musste. Er nahm an, dass er genug Benzin hatte, um Aroostook an der Station „Vice“ zu erreichen.

Rodgers' Koppelnavigation zeigte, dass er sich einige Meilen nördlich seines projizierten Kurses befand, aber die Funkkompasspeilungen von Aroostook (fehlerhaft, wie sich herausstellte) zeigten an, dass er südlich des Schiffes flog. In der Annahme, dass sich der Tender nicht auf ihrer richtigen Station befand, drehte er PN-9 Nr. 1 nach Norden, um nach ihr zu suchen. Die Anwesenheit von Regenböen in der Gegend erhöhte Rodgers' Unsicherheit, das Benzin des Flugzeugs ging aus und das Flugboot machte am 1. September um 1615 eine Notlandung, 25 Stunden und 23 Minuten nach dem Start in der Bucht von San Pablo.

Das Verschwinden des Flugbootes löste eine intensive Suche unter der Leitung von Comdr. W. R. Van Auken, kommandierender Offizier von Aroostook. Auch Langley (CV-1) nahm teil, deren Flugzeuge täglich in den angrenzenden Gewässern suchten, während sich U-Boote und Patrouillenflugzeuge von den Hawaii-Inseln bei der Suche nach PN-9 Nr. 1 beteiligten.

Aroostook fegte nachts mit ihrem Scheinwerfer über den Himmel und stationierte zu jeder Tageszeit zusätzliche Ausguckposten, bis sie am 7. Sie trat am selben Tag hervor, um die Suche fortzusetzen, und schloss sich Langley und den Zerstörern Reno (DD-303) und Farragut (DD-300) an. Schließlich traf das U-Boot R-4 (SS-81) jedoch am 10. September um 16:00 Uhr um 16:00 Uhr auf Rodgers und seine unerschrockene Besatzung auf der PN-9 Nr nieder, als sein Treibstoff ausging - und rettete sie.

Aroostook kehrte bald an die Westküste zurück und transportierte Männer und Material für VS-2. Nach lokalen Operationen von NAS, San Diego, wurde das Schiff ab dem 24. November 1925 auf Mare Island weiteren Überholungsarbeiten unterzogen. Es segelte im folgenden März für Schlachtflottenmanöver in panamaische Gewässer. Am 24. April 1926 kehrte sie nach San Diego zurück und diente während der Flottenübung Nr. 2 im Juni als stellvertretender Tender für Langley. Für den Rest des Jahres in San Diego operierend, rundete sie das Jahr mit der Betreuung der Wasserflugzeuge der Torpedo Squadron (VT) 2 ab. Im folgenden Jahr 1927 operierte Aroostook zwischen San Diego und Panama, führte Manöver mit der Flotte durch und führte gelegentlich , wieder als Flugzeugwächter für Langley tätig. Am Navy Day 1927 (2. 7. Oktober) besuchte sie San Francisco.

Nach der Durchführung taktischer Übungen mit der Flotte im November und Dezember 192-7, segelte Aroostook im folgenden Frühjahr nach Hawaii. Während dieser Zeit bewachte sie wieder Langley. Das Schiff kehrte am 23. Juni nach San Pedro und am selben Tag nach San Diego zurück, blieb bis Mitte September in San Diego und lief dann zur Überholung in Mare Island Navy Yard ein. Nach Abschluss dieser Reparatur- und Umbauphase segelte sie nach Panama und traf dort am 27. Januar 1929 ein. Sie diente dort als Flugzeugwächterin für den Flugzeugträger Saratoga (CV-3) und beteiligte sich an Flottenproblemen bei der Schlacht Flotte in der Bucht von Panama. Am 22. März 1929 kehrte sie nach San Diego zurück.

Nachdem sie die Flotte im März 1930 nach Guantanamo Bay begleitet hatte, fuhr sie nach Hampton Roads und besuchte dann Washington, D.C., bevor sie mit einer eingeschifften Kongresspartei nach Hampton Roads zurückkehrte. In diesen Gewässern diente sie als Flugzeugwächterin für Lexington (CV-2). Am 23. Mai kehrte sie nach Washington zurück und segelte zwei Tage später zu den Southern Drill Grounds, die schließlich am 13. Juni 1930 in Begleitung der Battleship Division 3 nach San Diego zurückkehrte und als Flugzeugwächter für Langley diente. Später in diesem Jahr betreute sie Flugzeuge, die an der Bombardierung von Zielschiffen ex-Sloat (DD-316) und ex-Marcus (DD-321) beteiligt waren, und inspizierte Ziele. Am 2. Dezember 1930 meldete sich Aroostook mit einem Versorgungs- und zwei Patrouillengeschwadern zum Dienst beim Kommandanten der Base Force und stellte dieses Kommando mit seiner ersten Luftfahrtorganisation. Sie rundete das Jahr mit der Betreuung von Flugzeugen des Patrouillengeschwaders (VP) 7B ab, die an einem Aufklärungsproblem teilnahmen.

Am 10. März 1931 im Puget Sound Navy Yard außer Dienst gestellt, blieb Aroostook für die nächsten zehn Jahre inaktiv. Die Marine erwog, das Schiff für den Dienst als Frachtschiff zu reaktivieren und am 20. Mai 1941 als AK-44 umzuklassifizieren, fand es jedoch für diese Aufgabe ungeeignet. Ihr Name wurde am 5. Februar 1943 aus dem Marineschiffsregister gestrichen und sie wurde der Kriegsschifffahrtsverwaltung überstellt.

Das Schiff, das anscheinend unter ihrem früheren Namen Bunker Hill geführt wurde, wurde in den Liegebereich der Maritime Commission in Suisun Bay, Kalifornien, gebracht und 1947 von der Seven Seas Trading and Shipping Co. aus Beverly Hills, Kalifornien, erworben. Die neuen Eigner tauften sie als Lux und verwandelten den Rumpf in ein schwimmendes Casino, das außerhalb der Drei-Meilen-Grenze verankert werden sollte. Several snarls with the law and, finally, seizure of the ship by the Coast Guard, however, brought this colorful phase of her career to an end, and she was ultimately sold to a shipbreaker in October 1947 for scrap.


The secret history of Reno

This article was published on 04.26.18

At the California/Nevada border in 1938, labor leader C.L. Adams (on the fender) led a contingent of workers seeking to support Nevada workers.

One day in March 1923, Reno’s postmaster heard from the U.S. Post Office in D.C. that Washoe County had a new fourth class post office at Diessner, a location of which no one in Reno had ever heard and could not find.

The same day, the Reno City Council dealt with park matters—an offer by S.H. Wheeler to donate to the city a block bounded by Crampton, Burns, Locust and Wilson streets for a park.

And Reno City Councilmember Roy Frisch proposed creation of a park in a rock quarry at Stewart and Wheeler streets.

After a day of searching, it was announced that Diessner had been located. It was 20 miles north of Vya and six miles south of the Oregon border. Then as now, there was great turnover in Nevada’s population, and residents did not always know the terrain.

Today there are homes, not a park, on the block Wheeler offered to the city. When given a choice between development or the good life, city officials, then as now, usually chose the former.

Frisch got his park—Stewart Park still exists. But Frisch himself later vanished, never to be seen again, a victim of the corruption that permeated life in Reno.

One thing we don’t have from that single day in 1923 is an instance of the city’s deep-seated racism. But we can be all but certain it manifested itself in some way that March day, because it was so woven into the town’s fabric. Reno was, after all, fertile ground for Klan organizers and saw a Klavern established a few months later.

There were no professional historians in Nevada until Russell Elliott in the 1950s. Until then, local history was written by local figures with a stake in the players. As a result, history arrived for later generations cleansed and sanitized. There was little of the bigotry, corruption and venality that accompanied the growth of the town.

Newspapers, first the Crescent, then—more permanently—the Gazette and Journal, tended to be community boosters, yet the seamy sides of the town come through clearly, so it’s difficult not to wonder what horrors they withheld for fear of driving off investors or tourists.

A 150th anniversary seems like a good time to reclaim some of this lost history, and learn from it.

When Nevada entered the union during the Civil War and until the 1890s, it was a Republican state. The party of Lincoln treated African Americans benevolently. When, in 1879, there was legislation in Congress proposing reservations for blacks, the Nevada State Journal mildly editorialized, “It lacks practicality.”

Blacks in Nevada were treated better than Asians or Native Americans, but it was only a matter of degree. Community benevolence fluctuated from hostility to gentility. Often blacks were objects of curiosity, as when in 1900 the Reno Gazette ran an article titled “The Negro in hot weather.”

African Americans tended to have a Reno of their own, as when they built a church on Bell Street in 1910. To be black in Reno meant to live apart from the other Reno.

Violence against blacks could be employed with impunity. In 1908, Tom Ramsey pistol whipped a black jockey who declined to race, nearly causing a riot.

In 1907, the McKissick Opera House played Under Southern Skies, a play about a “poor girl suspecting that there is a negro taint in her blood … [who] sacrifices herself for her family’s sake.”

In 1908, the Journal editorialized, “Haiti is a land of savage beasts.”

In 1909, the Reno Gazette warned “WHITE SUPREMACY GOING DOWN” about the lack of a white fighter to face African American champion Jack Johnson. When the Great White Hope fight was held in Reno the next year, a photograph of all the boxing champions attending the fight was taken. The reigning heavyweight champ who won the title again that day was excluded.

Even service to the country did not shield blacks. In 1943, the Reno USO Council held a meeting to decide what to do when the owner of a building rented for a USO center for African American soldiers canceled the rental agreement, returned the rent check, and told Mayor August Frohlich he had received complaints from other property owners. Later, at a meeting chaired by Frohlich, the problem of hotels and restaurants being unwilling to serve African Americans was discussed, with the possibility of moving Civilian Conservation Corps buildings to the city for black housing suggested, and local USO director Father Thomas Collins reported that a new site had been located at 221 Lake Street.

In 1946, instead of welcoming black veterans into a local chapter, the American Legion chartered a separate Reno post for African Americans.

In 1952, the Army announced that because Reno businesses refused to serve African American soldiers stationed at Stead Air Force Base, the Army was starting bus service between Stead and Sacramento for black soldiers to use for R&R.

The next year, Air Force officials, noting that there were no clubs in Reno admitting African Americans, urged the Reno city council to approve a liquor license for Theresa King, who wanted to operate King’s Lounge at 900 E. Commercial Row. A white physician, Dr. Morse Little, provided a character reference for Ms. King.

Reno clubs said they mostly integrated in 1960 after Gov. Grant Sawyer warned they would give the city a black eye during its role as host city for the 1960 Winter Olympics.

But what was reported to be Reno’s first sit-in was staged by African Americans a year later at the Overland Hotel’s café while elsewhere in the downtown the same day a picket line was thrown up at the Nevada Bank of Commerce.

In 1963, the Gazette ran a cartoon of Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) captioned “HIM AND HIS BIG MOUTH” and showing the boxer’s head made up mostly of mouth.

Marianne Reddick, owner of the Academy Personnel Agency said a local businessperson had chewed out one of her job counselors for sending a black applicant on a job referral, so she had “White Only” printed on work referrals.

Native Americans had seniority, but the example set by community leaders, including newspaper owners, had a lot to do with how Renoites treated tribal members. In 1891, when a group of representatives of eastern tribes came to Nevada to visit the Paiute prophet Wovoka, Reno’s Journal belittled them. In 1893, a group of Native Americans were sent to San Francisco to be “exhibited” at a fair. In 1911, Native American Jack Macini was hit by the Overland Limited, mangled, decapitated and killed—all of which was a source of amusement to the Gazette, which published a long supercilious story filled with disdain and a white person’s version of tribal lore—and elsewhere in the same edition there was a one-inch death notice on a second, apparently less interesting “buck Indian.”

Newspaper owners changed, and sometimes the attitude toward Native Americans changed with them, becoming more sympathetic if patronizing. The Journal in 1911: “It is a reproach on civilization that these young Indians should be in the condition of close cousins to savage wildcats.”

Tribal food was a regular grievance. Whites cut down pine nut trees, a regular part of the native diet, deeply angering tribes. Whites constantly complained about the tribes fishing—as they had done for centuries—from the Truckee River, named for a Piute leader. In 1900, the Journal bragged that its campaign against illegal fishing in the Truckee was making headway: “It is reported that a number of Indians have been infringing the law between here and Laughton’s [west of Reno] and it would be well if the offenders were captured and made an example of.” Tribal members were regularly arrested for selling trout in Reno.

At a Native American settlement on the east end of the Truckee Meadows, a store owned by George Moffit was blown up, killing him and injuring his wife and child.

In 1902, tribal leader Captain Jim wrote about the loss of tribal lands: “Now on account of not having homes the Washoe Indians wander from place to place and learn these destructive habits which the white people have introduced. … Some white men says that we have no business to drink whiskey if we know it to be dangerous, but they do the very same thing, yet they are supposed to be civilized men.”

If some whites reached out to them, officialdom was there to insist that tribal members be shunned. In 1914, Victor Catrini was convicted in Reno police court of associating with Native Americans. His sentence—leave Reno.

White officialdom seldom aided Indians, but in 1924 Indian police officer Sam Johns arrested Alex Jamison for selling denatured alcohol to Native Americans in the jungles along the Truckee River.

After World War II, Congress reacted to the uncomfortable parallels between German treatment of the Jews and U.S. treatment of the tribes by creating a Claims Commission. The Washo tribe filed a claim of $43,811,985.84 based on the 1862 value of Washo land, mineral, timber, fish and game rights, plus interest, all as a result of findings by professional assessors. Twenty-one Jahre later, the Commission settled the case by paying $5,000,000 to the Washo.

In 1975, a Native American employee of the Washoe County School District accused the district of misusing federal funds earmarked for tribal education by “trying to eliminate us from the curriculum.”

In early Reno, the Chinese were known for excellent vegetables and as laundry operators. But as new arrivals, they were also identified as a threat to the jobs of whites.

In 1879, the Journal: “[U.S. Secretary of State William Evarts] having declared the influx of Chinese to this coast is ‘an invasion, not an immigration,’ it becomes the duty of every good citizen to expel the invaders.”

Two major efforts were undertaken by whites against the Chinese in Reno—the White Laundry and the burning of Chinatown.

Because the Chinese dominated the laundry business in Reno, white businesspeople met, formed a corporation, and pooled their money to build a White Laundry to try to drive the Chinese laundries out of business. On April 2, 1886, a ball was held in Reno to honor the anti-Chinese movement and celebrate the opening of the Reno Steam Laundry Association building. The next day, the Gazette editorialized that the laundry for whites—people, not linens—would be a test of whether white residents were willing to drop their patronage of Chinese laundries.

Arson was tried against Chinatown twice. In 1878, a Reno off-shoot of Denis Kearney’s racist San Francisco Workingman’s Party movement, responding to a construction contract going to a Chinese firm, burned most of Chinatown down. Its residents moved across the river and reestablished Chinatown there.

In 1908, city officials elicited a condemnation order against Chinatown from the city health board and again burned Chinatown down, leaving the inhabitants in the snow. Businesspeople who disliked publicity that might drive off industry or tourists could have read later reports in places like the Boston Transcript of the Chinese Benevolent Association of San Francisco wiring President Roosevelt asking him to help “right the wrongs suffered by the Chinese of Reno.”

Roosevelt was of no help on that matter, but not long after, when the Nevada Legislature caused an international incident, he summoned U.S. Senators Frank Newlands and George Nixon of Nevada and apparently asked the two Nevadans to lobby against an anti-Japanese measure—it described the Japanese as “parasites of the world” and also criticized Roosevelt—in the Nevada Legislature.

The power that the example of alleged adults can have was seen during this same period when a group of boys in Reno with a slingshot tormented a Japanese man named Hashamura. An article on the incident in the Goldfield Chronicle ran just beneath an article on plans for juvenile courts in Nevada.

During World War II, Nevada was nearly surrounded by states—Utah, Arizona, California, Idaho—that hosted internment camps for U.S. citizens. Why not Nevada? Because Gov. Ted Carville made clear to federal officials that he wanted no part of Japanese, even imprisoned ones. In 1943, he stopped 100 Japanese Americans evacuated from the West Coast from assisting Moapa farmers with their tomato crop.

In 1957, the City of Reno’s condemnation committee declared a Reno historic landmark, a Chinese joss house (house of worship) at First and Lake streets—one of the few remnants of the city’s rich Chinese heritage—to be unfit for use. It was removed.

Alcohol prohibition and hard times made a combustible combination in Nevada.

In the early 20th century, there was an influential reform group in Reno that did not want prizefighting and divorce to be the only things for which the city was known. They actually had a certain level of success promoting Reno as a health resort.

But organized vice was lucrative, and a wide open town eventually prevailed over civic betterment.

The open town policies of Mayor Edwin Roberts sent a message, and soon Reno became a fiefdom of gangster bosses—George Wingfield, William Graham, James McKay, Tex Hall. All enjoyed a patina of respectability because of their legal businesses while they ran a town that became a criminal mecca like Joplin or Chicago. Auto gangsters like Baby Face Nelson and the Barker gang found their way to Reno to cool off between crimes.

Unsurprisingly, prohibition officers were regularly caught in crime themselves, including state director John Donnelley.

Reno newspapers played the game and did nothing to disrupt the corruption, referring to Graham and McKay as “sportsmen.” The first Nevada Pulitzer Prize went to the Sacramento Bee in 1935 for an exposé of judicial affairs in Nevada. It was a novelist, Walter Van Tilburg Clark, who wrote what Reno newspapers at the time kept quiet, and Clark’s book, which referenced a Reno boss named “Nick Briasi,” told the tale in 1945:

Mr. Hazard told Briasi … a lot of things he must have been storing up for a long time. He mentioned a murder in Douglas Alley, a minister who had been forced to leave town because of a drunken speech the mayor had made from his pulpit, unexplained fires in out-of-town nightclubs, prohi raids from San Francisco that busted up some clubs, but never touched others, dope peddling that nobody could trace, even in a town as small as Reno, the finances of the red-light district. … “You push this, you two-bit, back alley Capone,” he yelled at Briasi, “And I’ll open it up if it costs me every nickel I’ve ever made.”

Graham, McKay, Hall and their cronies were immune in Nevada courts, but federal prosecutors eventually won convictions of them—but not of Wingfield. Roy Frisch was supposed to testify until he disappeared. When the gangsters were released from prison, they were welcomed back to Nevada with open arms.

Some later writers emphasized the colorful aspects of the corrupt town, never mentioning those who suffered at the hands of the crime lords, paying the price of graft and vice.

Workers were among the worst tormenters of Asians. But the time came when workers themselves suffered at the hands of Reno leaders. Labor troubles were common in the Depression. In the 1922 national railroad strike, Nevada Gov. Emmet Boyle set a terrible example by personally leading an attack on a group of pickets outside a Las Vegas Union Pacific stockade.

Ten years later, in 1932, contempt of court charges against two Culinary Union officials over picketing at Reno’s Monarch Café in spite of a restraining order obtained by the owners were dismissed, but an injunction against picketing was granted.

Then the Reno City Council got involved. The Culinary Workers Union pulled pickets off seven Reno restaurants after the Council enacted a picketing ban. It was an outrageous attack on free expression, but the law was used repeatedly over the years. In 1937, two labor union picketers were arrested and charged by city attorney Douglas Busey under the law. The next month, in heavily union Sparks, that City Council considered adopting a similar law, drawing the ire of local Machinists Union leader Philip Drury.

In 1938, law enforcement took sides in a labor dispute when Washoe County Sheriff Ray Root and a couple of hundred American Legion “deputies” tried to block solidarity pickets from California from entering Nevada to join local union members picketing Reno’s Isbell Construction at Verdi Glen. The Californians set up on the west side of the state line and picketed the state of Nevada, asking motorists not to enter the state. Police had obstructed the constitutional right of freedom of movement, specifically “right of free ingress into other States,” as the U.S. Supreme Court phrased it.

When Culinary Workers Union member Paula Day was arrested for violating Reno’s anti-picketing law in front of an East Commercial Row cafe in 1939, Busey tried unsuccessfully to get the issue to the Nevada Supreme Court for a ruling on the legality of the ordinance, but neither Day nor the Culinary attorney attended a hearing.

The use of the ordinance declined during the war years, and it was still on the books in the 1960s. A test case was sparked when American Federation of Casino and Gaming Employees representative Stanley Philipie picketed and leafleted in front of the Horseshoe Club in Reno. The Nevada Supreme Court overturned the arrest, saying expression can be regulated, “but it cannot be forbidden entirely.”

It is easy to say today’s Reno is not yesterday’s Reno. But this century and millennium began with an arson attack on a Reno synagogue. Picketers at the Reno census office were arrested four years after the city ordinance was overruled. Thirty thousand people signed a petition this very year calling for a University of Nevada, Reno student to be expelled for having an opinion and expressing it nonviolently.


Biography & Loss

Walter Elsworth Reno was born in Davis County, Iowa, on 3 October 1881. He entered the U.S. Naval Academy in 1901 and graduated in 1905. While a junior officer, Reno served primarily in battleships. He was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant in 1910 and during the next four years was stationed in the battleships New Jersey and Wisconsin. From early 1914 until early 1916 he was Officer in Charge at the Chicago, Illinois, Navy Recruiting Station.

Lieutenant Reno then went out to the Philippines, where he took command of the destroyer Chauncey. In the Summer of 1917, after United States had entered World War I, Reno brought his ship from the Far East to the European war zone. While on convoy escort duty west of Gibraltar during the night of 19 November 1917, Chauncey was rammed by a merchant steamer and sank, taking with her Lieutenant Commander Reno and twenty of his ship's officers and men.


Mục lục

Reno được đặt lườn vào ngày 4 tháng 7 năm 1918 tại xưởng tàu Union Iron Works của hãng Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation ở San Francisco, California. Nó được hạ thủy vào ngày 22 tháng 1 năm 1919, được đỡ đầu bởi cô Kathryn Baldwin Anderson, con gái Thống đốc California Alden Anderson [2] và được đưa ra hoạt động vào ngày 23 tháng 7 năm 1920. Mẹ của Thiếu tá Reno, bà L. D. Reno ở Eldon, Iowa, được mời đỡ đầu con tàu, nhưng đã từ chối vì lý do sức khỏe. Vợ góa của Thiếu tá Reno, bà Beatrice Tracy Reno, con gái của cựu Trợ lý bộ trưởng hải quân Frank Tracy, cũng từng được cân nhắc là người đỡ đầu cho con tàu. [3]

Được phân về Hạm đội Thái Bình Dương, Reno hoạt động dọc theo vùng bờ Tây Hoa Kỳ cho đến tháng 1 năm 1921, khi nó gia nhập các đơn vị khác của hạm đội trong một chuyến đi đến Valparaíso, Chile. Tiếp nối các hoạt động dọc theo vùng bờ Tây sau khi quay trở về, nó hoạt động giữa Washington và khu vực Nam California, thỉnh thoảng có những chuyến đi đến vùng quần đảo Hawaii hay vùng kênh đào Panama. Vào tháng 4 năm 1927, nó đi sang phía Đông đến tận vịnh Guantánamo, Cuba, và vào tháng 7 năm đó đã có mặt tại Prince Rupert, British Columbia tham dự lễ hội kỷ niệm 75 năm thành lập Canada.

Reno được cho xuất biên chế tại San Diego, California vào ngày 18 tháng 1 năm 1930. Tên nó được cho rút khỏi danh sách Đăng bạ Hải quân vào ngày 8 tháng 7 năm 1930 và nó bị tháo dỡ vào năm 1931 nhằm tuân thủ các điều khoản hạn chế vũ trang của Hiệp ước Hải quân London.


Geschichte

The people that inhabited the Great Basin prior to the European invasion were the Numa or Numu (Northern Paiute), the Washeshu (Washoe), the Newe (Shoshone), and the Nuwuvi (Southern Paiute).

In each of these groups’ language, these names meant “The People.” Within these groups were bands of Indians who were often referred to with words that reflected where they lived or what they ate.

For example, the Agai Ticutta referred to the trout eaters near the Walker River or the Toi Ticutta referred to the tulle eaters near the Stillwater Marshes.

Today, The People continue to recognize their special place on Earth and all the life cycles. Traditionally, The People lived a well-planned, harmonious life which was predicated on their immediate surroundings and nature. Time could not be wasted. Knowing what the land would offer was a matter of survival, thus The People’s migration patterns were strategic and well-thought-out. The People followed the food and over thousands of years, each band evolved as an efficient, social and economic unit that could comfortably inhabit the land on which the People had been placed since time immemorial.

Living in cycles with the seasons, the Numu occupied the strip known as Western Nevada, Eastern Nevada, Eastern Oregon, and Southern Idaho. The Washeshu gathered annually at Lake Tahoe and dispersed for several hundred miles throughout the remainder of the year.

The Newe were found in what is today called Eastern Nevada, Utah, and Southern California.

The Nuwuvi inhabited the Colorado River Basin where they harvested corn, squash, wheat and beans.

To each group, the animals of the Great Basin gave insight to creation and wise guidance on how to live. Though each group spoke a different language Washoe, a Hokoan derivative the other dialects of the Uto-Aztecan origin they understood and respected the lifestyles of the other immediate groups and other tribes with whom they came in contact. In fact, much trade and commerce occurred among the original inhabitants of the entire continent. Conflicts occurred only when economic necessities forced a group to raid or confiscate the resources of another group.

Though The People consider that they have been here since time began, archeological evidence places the earliest residents of Nevada as living here about 10,000 years ago. In 1994, the Nevada State Museum carbon dated remains which were unearthed in 1940 near Fallon, Nev. According to modern science, the burial remains of “Spirit Cave Man” prove that he lived in the area over 9,400 years ago.

Because the Great Basin was one of the last major frontiers to be explored and settled by European-Americans, The People sustained their way-of-life and ethnic identity much longer than most Tribes in other parts of the country.

In fact, at first contact in what would become Nevada, hundreds of other Tribes were enduring the fourth major shift in U.S. Government policy toward American Indians. From 1492-1828, or during the Colonial Period, Indians were dealt with as sovereign nations. Many treaties and agreements were negotiated with France and England as these countries recognized that the Indians had their own form of government, their own leaders, and their own homelands.

Around 1830, the Spanish Trail opened in southern Nevada and explorers and trappers made their way into the arid landscape. In the beginning, many tribal groups were curious about these newcomers and The People attempted to establish relationships with them. Yet, as time went on it was difficult to maintain a friendly association as The People found it difficult to adapt to the disruption in their lives caused by these newcomers.

Although there is little written about Spaniards being in Washoe territory, there are some stories by the Washoe that suggest such an occurrence. The first written records of non-Indians in Washoe lands took place in 1826.

The Shoshone and Northern Paiute also encountered non-Indians about this time. Unfortunately, the explorers and the settlers did not understand the lifestyle of The People.

The non-Indians thought that The People wandered aimlessly from place to place, but these assumptions were completely wrong. As a matter of survival, the tribes followed seasonal, migratory patterns for hunting and gathering food and other materials needed for life in the Great Basin. While settlers saw the desert as rigid and desolated land, The People enjoyed the land’s abundant resources.

However, everything drastically changed in 1848 with the discovery of gold in California. Major changes were in store for The People and these changes, still impact the way The People live today. From 1778-1871 or during the Treaty Period, the U.S. government developed 370 treaties in an attempt to legally negotiate with Indian Tribes. During this era of nearly 100 years, these treaties often benefited those who were moving westward and not the tribes.

The only treaty to impact Great Basin Indians was the Treaty with the Western Shoshoni [sic]. This agreement of “Peace and Friendship” was ratified in 1866. By the middle of the 1800s, so many settlers inhabited the People’s land the Indians struggled to find food.

Within five years, close to 250,000 people made their way across Nevada, hunting and fishing and infringing on The People’s traditional homelands. This encroachment extremely limited and in some areas exhausted the food supply. Even the introduction of the horse to the Great Basin served as competition for food for the Indians.

Cultural clashes soon developed, too.

There was a significant difference in perspective regarding land occupation versus land ownership. The settlers believed in land ownership, meaning that once they chose an area in which to live, they tended to stay in that one location. Meanwhile, The People utilized the land seasonally and only occupied the area for a short term. As The People struggled to adapt, the federal government shifted its policy towards Indians again. The Indian Removal Act of 1830 halted any future treaties with Tribes and it gave Congress the authority to isolate the People in order to allow economic growth throughout the United States. This was done through the creation of reservations.

One of the main goals of reservations was to move The People to one central location and to provide them with a piece of land to cultivate.

Ultimately, the federal government believed that separating The People from the rest of its citizens would solve land disputes. The development and activation of reservations was a campaign promise of U.S. President Andrew Jackson and most of the land set aside was undesirable lands that the settlers did not want anyway. Some tribes and bands fought the process of removal and eventually, assimilation, but in doing so, the Tribes were perceived as hostile and uncivilized. It was during the Reservation Period that the President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln, allowed the Nevada territory to join the union. Without including the Great Basin Native Americans in the count, Nevada’s population did not meet the federal requirements for becoming a state. However, on October 31, 1864, President Lincoln proclaimed Nevada as the 36th state.

Soon thereafter, the Moapa River Paiute Reservation and then the Walker River Paiute Indian Reservation were each established by executive order in 1873. Back in 1859, the Department of Interior had recommended that land be set aside for Indian use north of the Truckee River and including Pyramid Lake. Though an executive order was issued in 1874 to establish the Pyramid Lake Reservation, the legal year of establishment is 1859.

In 1871, the Indian Appropriations Act gave the U.S. Congress exclusive right and power to regulate trade and affairs with the Indian tribes and the U.S. Supreme Court legally designated Indians as domestic dependent nations and wards of the federal government. This jarring shift in policy toward Indians meant more federal control over The People.

From 1887-1934, the U.S. federal government began its Allotment and Assimilation plan for dealing with the Indians. These policies closely resembled the European model of land ownership with an ultimate goal on pushing The People to become part of white society. In doing so, not only did the government take additional land from tribes, but it attempted to erase reservation boundaries and force Indians into society at large.

The Dawes Act divided tribal land into individual parcels and halted communal land use which paralleled traditional native life styles. The vast majority of Indians lands taken through the Dawes Act were not just used for new settlements, but for railroads, mining and forestry industries.

In addition, the Allotment and Assimilation Period called for Indians to be educated in boarding schools operated by the government. Indian children were often taken from their families and made to attending these military-like institutions, hundreds of miles away from their families.

As a result of the allotment system, nationwide, Indian territory was reduced from 138 million acres to only 48 million acres. Along with the devastating loss of their land, The People’s fundamental structure for Tribal life was destroyed, too. Another major shift in federal policy happened after a U.S. government commissioned study evaluated the conditions of Indian communities.

In stunning details, the Meriam Report outlined the ineffectiveness of the Dawes Act as it found that the overwhelming majority of Indian people were extremely poor, in bad health, living in primitive dwellings, and without adequate employment.

The Meriam Report blamed the hardships that the Indians faced on the encroachment of white civilization. The report stated that the Indians’ social system did not and would not work with the conditions forced onto them. These findings were the basis for the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934. The IRA encouraged Tribes to organize their own governments and incorporate their trust land. This is how the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony was established.

At the turn of the century, many Numa and Washoe lived in the Reno-Sparks area, not only because this was the aboriginal lands for The People, but more and more Indians moved to the area to find jobs. The transition to colonies actually represented another adaptive strategy for the Indians. Often, The People not living on a reservation were considered “scattered or homeless.”

These Indians tried to maintain some of their old ways by building traditional homes, sometimes with modern materials, in camps in urban areas, often near the Truckee River.

In 1917, the federal government purchased 20 acres for $6,000 for non-reservation Indians of Nevada and for homeless Indians. This land is the core of the present-day Colony. Most of the land was not cultivatable, however the Indian Bureau dug irrigation ditches to provide some drinking water, but most of the Indians collected drinking water from a spring about a quarter of a mile away.

Initially, the Numa lived on the north side of the Colony, while the Washoe lived on the south side of Colony. The Reno-Sparks Indian Colony and all colonies received some governmental services and were most often considered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs to be under their jurisdiction. For example, the purchase of additional land in 1926 was part of an effort to improve the water supply for the Colony.

Plus, from 1920-1930, a nurse and a police officer, paid from federal government funds, were stationed at the Colony. Further, in 1938 the United States Supreme Court ruled that there was no distinction between a colony and a reservation which meant that the superintendence of the Colony fell to the federal government.

To that end, an additional 8.38 acres was added to the Colony in 1926. Purchased for about $4,000, this strip of land allowed for a day school. For many years, residents of the Colony sent their children to this local government operated school instead of a boarding school about 40 miles away.

However, the Colony school was closed in the early 1940s because the building was in such disrepair. The Indian children’s only option was to attend public school, but discrimination was rampant.

Mercifully, in 1945, Grace Warner, the principal of Orvis Ring School, invited the Indian student to attend her school. This arrangement which included busing the Colony students to Orvis Ring, lasted until 1975 when the public school system required the Indian students to attend the school closest in proximity to the Colony.

As permissible under the IRA, the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony established its first formal council in 1934.

On February 9, 1934 the elected council included three Paiutes—Cleveland Cypher, Thomas Ochiho, and George Hooten, and three Washoes—Willie Tondy, Jack Mahoney, and George McGinnis. Harry Sampson was selected Chairman of the Council.

In a letter to Nevada Senator Key Pitman, the new council supported the IRA, writing that the bill would be of lasting benefit to the progress of all Indians in the United States. Additionally, the new Colony leadership with input from Acting Bureau of Indian Affairs Superintendent John H. Holst, conducted a vote in which the IRA was overwhelmingly supported by the Colony residents.

Furthermore, five men— Sampson, Cypher, Mahoney, Tondy, and George Hunter worked on a constitution for the Colony. Additional assistance crafting the constitution came from George LaVatta, a Northern Shoshone from the Fort Hall Reservation who worked as a federal government field agent. The Colony’s constitution was adopted on December 16, 1935 and was approved by a vote of 51-1.

In 1936, the Colony tried to adopt a charter, but the BIA’s field superintendent, Alida Bowler, delayed submitting the paperwork to the federal government. Bowler did not believe all the signatures were authentic as many Colony members who could not write, had someone else sign his or her name. Bowler returned the petition with instructions to have person who could not write, make a cross or a thumbprint, but that action had to be witnessed by two other persons.

Adding to the confusion, most often charters enabled tribes to get credit which would assist the Indians with economic development. Bowler did not think the RSIC could get credit because it had no agricultural resources.

However, the Colony’s charter, which was approved on January 7, 1939, included plans for the tribe to establish a cooperating laundry, a store, a meat market, a gas station, arrangements for the raising of poultry, and a harness repair shop for individual Indian members who wanted to do business for themselves.

Also under Sampson’s leadership, the RSIC tried to take advantage of a provision in the IRA to purchase more land for the Colony. With input from E. M. Johnstone, a BIA land field agent, LaVatta, and Bowler, a proposal for the purchase of 1,080 acres between Highway 40 and the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks in the Truckee Canyon was submitted to the Commissioner of Indian Affairs on January 25, 1937.

Unfortunately, this land purchase never came to fruition as the federal government’s field agent, active agent, and superintendent, could not agree on how to proceed. While, the RSIC continued to build its sovereignty and explore economic opportunities for its members, U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower changed the federal government’s policy toward American Indians and began the Termination Era.

To deal with the Indians nationwide, Eisenhower sought complete elimination of the U.S. government’s trust responsibility to the tribes. This meant that scores of tribes lost their federal benefits and support services, along with tribal jurisdiction over their lands.

All told, the Termination Era, which lasted from 1945 to 1968, eliminated 109 tribal governments and reservations. Fortunately, no tribes in Nevada were terminated.

Finally, in 1970, U.S. President Richard Nixon developed the latest national policy toward Indians, Tribal Self-Determination. Self-Determination gave autonomy to tribes by allowing the Indians to control their own affairs and be independent of federal oversight without being cut off from federal support.
———————————————————————————————————————–
Today, the RSIC has expanded its original land base to 15,292 acres with 1, 157 Tribal members. The Colony employs over 300 employees and more than half are The People.

The Tribe also maintains a tribal court system, a police force and a health clinic, and it provides full government services to its membership. The Tribe’s other governmental departments include administration, education, public works, human services, utility district, planning, prevention coalition, enrollment, human resources, economic development, recreation, finance, housing, and the chairman’s office.

Below is the Tribal government organizational chart:
ORG CHART- 08-14-2019


Recent comments (view all 16 comments)

Thank you for the speedy reply. I wish I could furnish the answers you request, but alas, I have forgotten &ndash if I ever knew them. I spent the summers and weekends at both drive-ins with my high school sweetie in &lsquo64. '65, and '66. In '64, I actually woked at the Rt. 303, Orangebyrg drive-in during the summer. The Nyack Drive-in, which may have technically been located in Blauvelt, followed the Rt. 303 Drive-in in opening, but I don&rsquot know when it actually opened or what the first movie shown was. It was located just south of Lake Oneora swimming club, also long gone now.

I did see a related website or &lsquoblog&rsquo about those drive-ins in classmates.com, somewhere- let me see if I can locate the URL before I close. Vielen Dank,
Tom Davis
p.s. try and copy and paste this url:
View link

Bill Fredericks of Pearl River NY was one of the main projectionists at the 303 Drive-In for many many years beginning in the 1950’s. (Not sure about the exact spelling of his name, might have been Frederick.) I was in the booth in the 1950&rsquos when I (and the booth) was quite young. I vividly remember that the Arc lamps were HUGE, you could just about crawl inside them. The projectors were Century’s according to my recollection. The Drive In was located off of Rt 303, within sight of the Palisades Interstate Parkway, and adjacent to the US Army Reserve Center.

While hiking in Buttermilk Falls County Park a couple of weeks ago, our group could clearly see the remains of a drive in that was right across the street from the park. This has to be the West Nyack theater that Tom Davis mentions? The screen is still up and you can see how the parking field radiates out from the screen. There&rsquos no marquee or anything on Route 303 so unless you climbed to the height that we did, you would not know it was there. Can anyone confirm this is the West Nyack Drive-in?

Never mind. I found it listed on this site. It&rsquos actually in Blauvelt. How could I ever think a movie theater could escape a mention on this site? Entschuldigen Sie. My God this site is thorough.

Above address is now incorrect. Now Organic Recycling, Inc. @ 121 New York 303. The entrance for this business is the same as the drive-in.

August 3rd, 1956 grand opening ad in photo section.

This was a huge single screen site, could&rsquove easily been twinned. Anyway it looks like the giant concession building still exists on the site.

According To The Journal News, The Route 303 Drive-In In Orangeburg Lasted For At Least 31 Years Until It Is Converted Into A Flea Market In 1987.

Its funny, I just noticed on the newest street view image they just removed the drive in wording on the road sign and hung a banner saying nursery.

Also opened with Walt Disney&rsquos &ldquoSardinia&rdquo. Closed in 1988. The snack bar is now used for a horticultural landscape center and the marquee used as a sign for the building. The rest of the site is now used as the town compost/recycling center.


Schau das Video: Elektrodelic 303 Original Mix (Januar 2022).