Information

THOMAS FENWICK DRAYTON, CSA - Geschichte


GENERAL THOMAS FENWICK DRAYTON, CSA
BEVÖLKERUNGSSTATISTIK
GEBOREN: 1808 in Charleston, SC.
IST GESTORBEN: 1891 in Florenz, SC.
KAMPAGNEN: Port Royal, Second Bull Run, South Mountain und Antietam.
HÖCHSTER ERREICHTER RANG: Brigadegeneral.
BIOGRAFIE
Thomas Fenwick Drayton wurde am 24. August 1808 in Charleston, South Carolina, geboren. Er machte seinen Abschluss in West Point im Jahr 1828, wo er eine lebenslange Freundschaft mit Jefferson Finis Davis schloss. Im Jahr 1836 trat Drayton aus der Armee aus, leitete seine Plantage und arbeitete als Eisenbahndirektor und Staatsgesetzgeber. Als der Bürgerkrieg begann, wurde er zum Brigadegeneral ernannt (25. September 1861). Als Kommandant des Militärbezirks in Port Royal, South Carolina, war er nicht in der Lage, den Posten gegen einen Marineangriff der Union zu verteidigen. Draytons Bruder, Comdr. Percival Drayton war Kommandant des führenden Kriegsschiffs der Union, der "Pocahontas", bei dem Angriff. Thomas Drayton führte seine Brigade bei den Schlachten von Bull Run (Zweiter), South Mountain und Antietam an. In South Mountain und Antietam erwies er sich als armer Feldkommandant. General Lee wies Drayton anderen Brigaden zu, obwohl die Entscheidung für ihn schwierig und peinlich war. Drayton verbrachte die letzten beiden Kriegsjahre im Trans-Mississippi-Departement, leitete eine Brigade im Distrikt Arkansas und kommandierte später den Subdistrikt von Texas. Er fuhr fort, als Präsident des Untersuchungsgerichts zu dienen, das die Razzia von Generalmajor Sterling Price in Missouri untersuchte. Nach dem Ende des Bürgerkriegs wurde Drayton Farmer in Georgia. Anschließend zog er nach North Carolina, wo er als Lebensversicherungsmakler arbeitete. Drayton starb am 18. Februar 1891 in Florence, South Carolina.

THOMAS FENWICK DRAYTON, CSA - Geschichte

Kapitän Percival Drayton (1812-1865) aus Charleston, South Carolina und Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, war ein angesehener Offizier der US-Marine, der während des Bürgerkriegs in der Union Navy diente. Die Dokumente der Familie Percival Drayton, 1827-1967, dokumentieren hauptsächlich die Karriere von Percival Drayton in der Marine, insbesondere während des Bürgerkriegs. Draytons Papiere, 1827-1865, umfassen Korrespondenz, Marinebefehle und Berichte, ein Tagebuch, Finanzpapiere und Zertifikate. Der Rest, 1845-1967, besteht aus Papieren, die von anderen Drayton-Familienmitgliedern und Verwandten erstellt oder erhalten wurden, sowie Ephemera, Fotografien und gedrucktes Material, das hauptsächlich Percival Drayton betrifft. Ebenfalls enthalten sind Briefe, die von einem nicht identifizierten Verwandten geschrieben wurden, ein Marinenotizbuch und spätere Familienkorrespondenz über Draytons Marinedienst sowie zwei Manifestbücher für Tabaklieferungen im Gebiet Maryland-District of Columbia, 1803-1817, ihre Verbindung zum Familie Drayton ist unklar.


Früheste Einwohner

Als William Hilton 1663 im Lowcountry landete, wurde er von spanischsprachigen Indianern des Yemassee-Stammes begrüßt, die 100 Jahre zuvor aus Florida nach Norden ausgewandert waren. Er begegnete auch den einheimischen Escamacus-Indianern, aber über die frühere einheimische Zivilisation, die die Insel bereits vor 4000 Jahren bewohnte, ist wenig bekannt. Überreste mysteriöser Muschelringe mit einem Durchmesser von bis zu 240 Fuß und einer Höhe von 2,50 m können immer noch auf der Insel gefunden werden. Doch wie die rätselhaften Felsen von Stonehenge und die Schnitzereien der Osterinsel bleiben ihre Geheimnisse verborgen. Heute können Sie diese Artefakte der Geschichte von Hilton Head Island im Sea Pines Forest Preserve und am nördlichen Ende der Insel an der Squire Pope Road im Green Shell Park besichtigen.


Fish Haul Creek (Drayton) Plantage

Land - 1100 Acres, 700 waren die ursprüngliche Fish Haul Creek Plantation, 400 waren Pine Barrens.

Karten - Hack, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, vor 1861

Holmgren, Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle
Holmgren, Recherche auf Hilton Head Island
Leute, Ein Index zu den Namen von Hilton Head Island
Leute, Geschichten von Ante Bellum Hilton Head Island Familien
Porcher, Die Geschichte von Sea Island Cotton

Zusätzliche Informationen:

Strandstadtstraße
Siehe auch Coggins Point Plantation, Fort Howell, Fort Walker

Das Plantagenland, das Samuel Green und Edmund Ellis nach 1740 gemeinsam erworben hatten, erstreckte sich vom Fish Haul Creek nach Westen entlang des Port Royal Sound. 1785 heiratete Sarah Green Tucker, Witwe von Thomas Tucker und Tochter von Samuel Green, Captain William Pope und machte Fish Haul zu ihrem Hauptwohnsitz. Emma Catherine Pope heiratete 1832 General Thomas Fenwick Drayton. General Drayton nutzte Fish Haul bis 1861 als sein Hauptquartier für die Verteidigung der Konföderierten von Hilton Head Island. (198?)

„In seinem früheren Testament vom 24. Februar 1767 überließ der Inselpflanzer Samuel Green seinem Sohn Samuel seine Fish Haul Plantation, auf der er lebte. Schließlich wurde Sarah Green.

"William Drayton und seine Frau Mary waren Besitzer von 1100 Acres, von denen 700 die ursprüngliche Fish Haul Creek Plantation (oft Fish Hall genannt) waren, die wahrscheinlich um 1770 von Samuel Green Erben gekauft wurde. (siehe Eintrag oben). Ein Teil dieses Anwesens wurde verkauft von der Bundesregierung an Neger und ein Teil für ein militärisches Reservat gehalten.Der Rest wurde im März 1875 für 407,83 Dollar an Steuern von den Erben von Mary (Drayton) Pope, die offensichtlich wieder geheiratet hatte, eingelöst und sie boten an, Land für einen neuen Friedhof und für eine Kirche auch, wenn die nächsten Angehörigen die in der Nähe ihres Hauses begrabenen Leichen entfernen würden. 1877 begannen die Erben mit dem Verkauf in kleinen Parzellen und 1931 kauften Thorne und Loomis in dreizehn verschiedenen Transaktionen Fish Haul-Land."

Die Arbeit der Chicora Foundation von 1989 an der Fish Haul Slave Row war die erste veröffentlichte archäologische Dokumentation einer Sklavensiedlung auf Hilton Head Island. Drei Fünf-Fuß-Einheiten und einige stehende Tabby-Schornsteine ​​wurden festgestellt.

Trinkley, Chicora Research Series 28, Archaeological Testing at the Stoney/Baynard Plantation, Hilton Head Island, Beaufort County, South Carolina, p. 16 (Quellenmaterial in Umfrage vermerkt)

Der 38BU806-Teil von Draytons Fish Haul Plantation Sklavenreihe (38BU805 im Jahr 1986 bei Chicora-Arbeiten und 1989 bei Brockington-Arbeiten), gilt als eine der bedeutendsten archäologischen Stätten auf Hilton Head. Hohe Integrität der Stätte und archäologische Überreste in ausgezeichnetem Erhaltungszustand. Empfohlen als berechtigt für das National Register of Historic Places. Barker Field ist ein etwa zehn Hektar großes County im Besitz und wird betrieben vom Beaufort County Recreation Department.

  • Trinkley, Chicora Research Series 17, Archäologische Untersuchung des Barker Field Expansion Project, Hilton Head Island, Beaufort County, South Carolina (Quellenmaterial in Umfrage aufgeführt)

Colonel John Barnwell erhielt am 10. Dezember 1717 einen Royal Grant für 500 Acres. Er nannte es Fish Haul. Sein Sohn John und seine Frau Martha verkauften es am 24. Oktober 1760 an Edward Ellis. 1838 heiratete Thomas F. Drayton Mary Baynard Pope und sie wohnten mit ihrer Mutter Mary Baynard Pope in Fish Haul. (Vater war John Edward Pope) Als Mary 1856 starb, wurde Thomas zum Verwalter ihres Anwesens ernannt und betrieb Fish Haul treuhänderisch für sieben minderjährige Drayton-Kinder.

Die Sklavenzählung von 1860 zeigt 52 Sklaven auf Fish Haul. Die Landwirtschaftszählung von 1860 zeigt 250 verbesserte Acres, 450 unverbesserte, im Wert von 10.000 $. Das Fehlen von Nutztieren auf der Liste weist auf eine stark orientierte Baumwollplantage hin. Getreide und Lebensmittel wurden für den lokalen Gebrauch angebaut.

Bei den Steuerverkäufen von 1863 wurde das Anwesen für 3.000 US-Dollar an die Bundesregierung verkauft. Die Auflistung von 1300 Acres deutet auf die Kombination von Fish Haul und der angrenzenden Pinelands Plantation hin. Drayton wird als "erhebliche Sklavenquartiere in gutem Zustand" und das Haupthaus als "herrlich" bezeichnet. Fotografien aus dem Jahr 1862 untermauern diese Aussagen.

Im Jahr 1862 wurden etwa 200 Hektar genutzt, um das Dorf der Freigelassenen Mitchelville zu schaffen.

Fish Haul wurde an Bacchus Singleton vermietet, treuhänderisch für sich selbst und die Landbewohner, die 1862 ihren Teil der Miete von 220 Dollar zahlten. Die Miete wurde von Militärs besetzt und die Hälfte des Herrenhauses wurde für eine Schule gehalten. Es galten bestimmte Einschränkungen, wie zum Beispiel nur die Hälfte des Ackerlandes pro Jahr bewirtschaftet werden durfte - die andere Hälfte lag brach. Die Regierung konnte ein Pfandrecht an der Ernte übernehmen, um die Zahlung der Miete zu garantieren, niemand, der auf dem Grundstück wohnte, konnte vertrieben werden, alle Arbeiten wurden gleich verteilt und niemand konnte im Herrenhaus wohnen.

Im Jahr 1867 beherbergte die Plantage 120 Schwarze. Die Miete betrug 90 Dollar.

1868 wurde das Land an Summer Christopher verpachtet. Im Jahr 1871 betrug die Miete 140 Dollar und war nicht mehr "treuhänderisch". Nach 1871 wurde das Land nicht mehr verpachtet.

Am 17. April 1875 zahlten die Erben von Mary Baynard Pope $407,83 für etwa 1300 Morgen Land einschließlich des Pineland-Trakts und des Dorfes Mitchelville. Ungefähr 803 Acres am Hilton Head Point südlich und östlich von Fish Haul Creek wurden von der Bundesregierung als Militärreservat reserviert. (Coggins-Punkt). Da sie das Anwesen verkaufen wollten, boten die Draytons (Erben von Mary Baynard Pope) an, einige Grundstücke für „kirchliche Zwecke“ zu spenden. Sie autorisierten ihre Anwälte, einen Friedhof auf Fish Haul zu errichten und denen, die ihre Toten von der Grabstätte in der Nähe des Herrenhauses wegbringen würden, Grundstücke zu geben. Dies scheint nicht gelungen zu sein.

Am 9. Dezember 1876 wurden 147,5 Acres an Robert McIntire verkauft, der es wiederum am 20. Februar 1878 an Gabriel Gardner verkaufte. Am 20. August 1888 verkaufte Gardner 650 Acres (einschließlich der Gardner Plantation) an Summer Christopher et. al.. Die Erben von Christopher verkauften 1894 das zehn Hektar große Grundstück mit der Fish Haul Slave Row an Fred Owens, Jr..

1920 war das Haupthaus verschwunden. Er hielt das Anwesen, bis es 1965 an die Hilton Head Company verkauft wurde. Von dort ging es zur Port Royal Plantation Group und dann zu Palmetto Dunes.

1978 erwarben die Hilton Head Gators 7,4 Acres von Palmetto Dunes. 1980 übernahm die Beaufort County Recreation Commission das Anwesen.

1989 enthält die Site mindestens sechs Strukturen. Oberirdisch ist jedes Gebäude durch einen Tabby-Schornsteinsockel gekennzeichnet. Der verwendete Tabby ist eine spezielle Mischung, die zusätzlich zu den normalen Austernschalenaggregaten ganze Muschelschalen enthält. Auch zerbrochene Ziegel, Glas und Keramik werden im Tabby gesichtet. Die Mischung liefert ein gut verdichtetes, dichtes und starkes Material.

"Das Projektgebiet befindet sich auf einem Teil der traditionell als Fish Haul Plantation bekannten Plantage. Fish Haul und ganz Hilton Head, eine typische Baumwollplantage in der Vorkriegszeit, wurden Opfer des Krieges. Unionstruppen übernahmen die Insel im Jahr 1861. nutzte das Haupthaus von Fish Haul als Wohnhaus für den kommandierenden General, lagerte Truppen, baute Sägewerke und protokollierte das Grundstück und baute auf dem Projektgebiet ein Dorf der Freigelassenen (Mitchelville) und eine Erdbaufestung (Fort Howell).

. 1717 erhielt John Barnwell ein Stipendium an der nordwestlichen Ecke der Insel. Trinkley zitiert mehrere Quellen. dass der Zuschuss für 500 Acres war und als Fish Haul in einem Verkauf von 1760 an Edward Ellis beschrieben wurde. Sowohl Holmgren als auch Peeples geben Samuel Green und dann seiner Tochter Sarah Green Tucker den Kolonialbesitz von Fish Haul. William Pope war 1798 Witwer von Sarah Green Tucker Pope. Der konföderierte General Thomas Drayton verwaltete Fish Haul treuhänderisch für seine Kinder, die Erben von Mary B. Pope, als der Bürgerkrieg begann.


Drayton, Percival

Bei Ausbruch des Bürgerkriegs bekleidete Drayton den Rang eines Kommandanten. Von den 1500 Offizieren der Marine blieb ein Viertel übrig, um im Süden zu dienen. Aber Drayton tat es nicht und wählte stattdessen die Sache der Union.

Marineoffizier. Drayton wurde am 25. August 1812 in Charleston als Sohn von William Drayton (1776&ndash1846) und Ann Gadsden geboren. Sein Vater diente von 1825 bis 1833 im Kongress und war in den frühen 1830er Jahren ein führender Gegner der Annullierung, und er zog schließlich mit seiner Familie von Charleston nach Philadelphia. Draytons älterer Bruder, Thomas Fenwick Drayton, war Absolvent der US-Militärakademie. Nach dem Militärdienst kehrte Thomas nach South Carolina zurück und wurde ein erfolgreicher Pflanzer und Senator.

Im Alter von 15 Jahren wurde Percival Drayton zum Midshipman der US Navy ernannt. Er trat zwanzig Jahre vor der Gründung der Marineakademie in Annapolis in den Dienst ein, und seine Marineausbildung folgte dem alten Muster, das von England geerbt wurde. Zukünftige Marineoffiziere begannen ihr Berufsleben nicht an formalen Schulen, sondern mit dem Erlernen der Seile auf See als Seekadetten. Er diente an Bord von Fregatten, die den US-Handel im Ausland schützen oder die Flagge auf entfernten Stationen zeigen. Seine Einsätze führten ihn zu den brasilianischen, mediterranen und pazifischen Geschwadern. Schließlich kommandierte er den Schoner USS Unternehmen und serviert in einer Vielzahl von Schiffen, einschließlich der Mississippi, das dritte dampfbetriebene Kriegsschiff der Marine.

Bei Ausbruch des Bürgerkriegs bekleidete Drayton den Rang eines Kommandanten. Von den fünfzehnhundert Offizieren der Marine blieb ein Viertel übrig, um im Süden zu dienen. Aber Drayton tat es nicht und wählte stattdessen die Sache der Union. Im November 1861 kommandierte er ein Schiff der Port Royal Expedition, bei der Unionstruppen Hilton Head Island, Beaufort und Parris Island eroberten, um eine Basis für Operationen gegen Savannah und Charleston zu gewinnen. In der Schlacht befehligte sein Bruder Thomas, ein Brigadegeneral der Konföderierten, die Forts, deren Geschütze mit Draytons Schiff Feuer austauschten.

Draytons Leistung brachte ihm die Beförderung zum Kapitän und Kommandeur eines der neuen von Ericsson entworfenen Monitor-Klasse Panzerschiffe, die USS Passaisch. Im April 1863 nahm Drayton an dem Versuch teil, neun Panzerschiffe einzusetzen, und das erste Mal, dass gepanzerte Schiffe bei einer Flottenaktion eingesetzt wurden, um sich in den Hafen von Charleston zu erkämpfen. Der Angriff erwies sich als erfolglos, aber Drayton wurde bald zum Flaggkapitän unter Konteradmiral David Farragut ernannt. Er kommandierte Farraguts Flaggschiff, die USS Hartford, in der Schlacht von Mobile Bay im August 1864. Farragut rief Drayton den Befehl zu, der bekanntermaßen mit dieser Aktion in Verbindung gebracht wurde: &bdquoVerdammt die Torpedos! Volle Kraft voraus!&rdquo

Nach der Schlacht begleitete Drayton Farragut zu einem triumphalen Empfang in New York. In South Carolina wurde er jedoch ganz anders betrachtet. Die Generalversammlung verabschiedete Maßnahmen, die ihn formell zur legalen Verbannung und zum Exil verurteilten. Er sollte auf keinen Fall zurückkehren. Vier Monate nach Kriegsende starb Drayton am 4. August 1865 nach kurzer Krankheit, während er in Washington als Chef des Bureau of Navigation diente. Er hatte nie geheiratet.

Ammen, Daniel. Die Marine im Bürgerkrieg. vol. 2, Die Atlantikküste. 1883. Nachdruck, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Archive Society, 1992.

Canney, Donald L. Lincoln's Navy: The Ships, Men and Organization, 1861&ndash65. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press, 1998.

Halsey, Ashley, Jr. &bdquoI Rue der Tag, an dem ich in das Ironclad Business einstieg.&rdquo Civil War Times illustriert 4 (April 1965): 28&ndash34.

Mahan, A.T. Die Marine im Bürgerkrieg. vol. 3, Der Golf und das Binnengewässer. 1883. Nachdruck, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Archive Society, 1992.


Nachkommen von Thomas Drayton

1. Thomas Drayton, Hon (Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) wurde 1700 in der Magnolia Plantation geboren und starb am 11. November 1760.

Er heiratete Elizabeth Bull am 26. Dezember 1730 in ” South Carolina Marriages”, Tochter von William Bull, I, LT Gov. SC und Mary Quintyne. Sie wurde am 9. März 1711/12 im ältesten Dau geboren und starb AFT. 28. August 1745 in “Bio Hist SC Hse Rep” Vol 2, 202. Er heiratete Mary Mackenzie, Right Hon. Dame BEF. 1735, Tochter von George (3. Earl Cromartie) Mackenzie. Sie wurde im Testament von Lady Mary of Henry’ geboren - ihr Vater verbannte den schottischen Grafen und starb am 21. November 1788 auf See.

Kinder von Thomas Drayton, Hon und Elizabeth Bull sind:
+ 2 ich. William Drayton, Chief Justice wurde am 21. März 1731/32 in “Magnolia”, Ashley River, SC - ältestes überlebendes Kind 2. Sohn geboren und starb am 18. Mai 1790 in SC - ging East FL 1763> Chf. Justiz1767>England>SC.
+ 3 ii. Mary Drayton wurde am 21. Dezember 1734 in “Plantations of the Low Country”p33 geboren und starb 1806 in Grandau von LT Gov Bull “Oligarchs” p37, 320.
+ 4 iii. Stephen Drayton, LT Col wurde am 28. April 1736 in St. Andrew Par., SC > St. Luke Parish geboren und starb am 23. November 1810 in “Bio Hist SC Hse Rep” Vol 2, 202, siehe “Oligarchs”p319 .
5 iv. Henrietta Charlotte Drayton wurde am 28. Juli 1743 geboren.
6 v. John Drayton wurde am 28. August 1745 geboren.
Nachkommenregister, Generation Nr. 2
2. William Drayton, Chief Justice (Thomas Drayton, Hon2, Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) wurde am 21. März 1731/32 in “Magnolia”, Ashley River, SC-ältestes überlebendes Kind 2. Sohn geboren und starb am 18. Mai 1790 in SC - ging nach Osten FL 1763> Chf. Justiz1767>England>SC. Er heiratete Mary Motte am 4. Oktober 1759 in ” South Carolina Marriages” … 9 Kinder, Tochter von Jacob Motte, Schatzmeister und Elizabeth Martin. Sie wurde am 8. Januar 1739/40 geboren und starb ABT. 1778 in England. Er heiratete Mary Gates ABT. 1780 in 2. Frau, 1 Kind.

Kinder von William Drayton, Chief Justice und Mary Motte sind:
7 Ich. Elizabeth Drayton wurde 1761 geboren.
8ii. Jacob Drayton, LT-Fort. Armee wurde ABT geboren. 1762.
9iii. Hannah Drayton wurde 1764 geboren.
10 iv. Mary Charlotte Drayton wurde 1766 geboren.
11 v. Thomas Drayton wurde 1775 geboren und starb 1794.
+ 12 Vi. William Drayton, Col War 1812 wurde am 20. Dezember 1776 in St. Autustine, Ost-Florida>Charleston>PA 1833 als jüngster Sohn geboren und starb am 24. Mai 1846 in Philadelphia, PA-“Am. Zykl. von Bio”.
3. Mary Drayton (Thomas Drayton, Hon2, Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) wurde am 21. Dezember 1734 in “Plantations of the Low Country”p33 geboren und starb 1806 in Grandau von LT Gov Bull “Oligarchs” p37, 320. Sie heiratete Edward Fenwick, Hon., Esq. ABT. 1. März 1753 in Charleston, SC - “Gazette”, Sohn von John Fenwick, Fenwick Hall und Elizabeth Gibbes. Er wurde am 22. Januar 1719/20 im Rat seiner Majestät geboren und starb am 5. Juli 1775 in “Oligarchs” p242 – of Fenwick Hall.

Kinder von Mary Drayton und Edward Fenwick, Hon., Esq. sind:
13 Ich. Edward Fenwick, Jr., Tory wurde am 12. Dezember 1753 in verkaufter Fenwick Hall an seinen Cousin John Gibbs geboren. Er heiratete Christina Stuart in NY- er wurde für diese Ehe enterbt, Tochter von John Stuart, Royalist.
14ii. Sarah Fenwick wurde am 3. Dezember 1756 geboren. Sie heiratete George Jones, Dr.. Er wurde in Savannah, GA geboren. Sie heiratete McCartan Campbell am 27. Februar 1777. Er wurde in Augusta, GA geboren.
15iii. Thomas Fenwick, Verräter, wurde am 19. Dezember 1758 geboren.
16 iv. Mary Fenwick wurde als ABT geboren. 1759. Sie heiratete Walter Izard am 7. November 1779 in St. Phillip’s, Charleston, SC, Sohn von Ralph Izard, Capt und Rebecca Blake. Er starb 1788.
+ 17 v. Martha Fenwick wurde am 15. Januar 1760 geboren.
18 vi. Harriette Fenwick wurde am 5. März 1769 geboren. Sie heiratete Josiah Tatnall, Gouverneur von GA.
4. Stephen Drayton, LT Col (Thomas Drayton, Hon2, Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) wurde am 28. April 1736 in St. Andrew Par., SC > St. Luke Parish geboren und starb am 23. November 1810 in “Bio Hist SC Hse Rep” Vol 2, 202, siehe “Oligarchs”p319. Er heiratete Ann Betts in keiner Aufzeichnung von Kindern. Sie starb 1766. Er heiratete Elizabeth Waring in “Bio Hist SC Hse Rep” Vol 2, 203, Tochter von Josiah Waring. Sie wurde ABT geboren. 1740 in 2. Frau.

Kinder von Stephen Drayton, LT Col und Elizabeth Waring sind:
19 ich. Edward Percival Drayton.
20ii. Henry Augustus Drayton.
Nachkommenregister, Generation Nr. 3
12. William Drayton, Col War 1812 (William Drayton, Chief Justice3, Thomas Drayton, Hon2, Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) wurde am 20. Dezember 1776 in St. Autustine, Ost-Florida>Charleston>PA 1833 geboren, und starb am 24. Mai 1846 in Philadelphia. PA-“Am. Zykl. von Bio”. Er heiratete Maria Miles Heyward in 5 Kindern - “Am. Zykl. von Bio”, Tochter von William Heyward, Esq. und Hannah Shubrick. Sie wurde am 20. Oktober 1784 in “South Carolina Genealogies” Vol 2, 359 geboren. Er heiratete Ann Gadsden in 4 Kindern, Tochter von Thomas Gadsden, Capt. und Martha Fenwick. Sie wurde NACHT geboren. 1778.

Kinder von William Drayton, Col War 1812 und Ann Gadsden sind:
21 ich. Thomas Fenwick Drayton, General CSA wurde am 24. August 1808 in Charleston, SC> West Point Klassenkamerad Jeff Davis geboren und starb am 18. Februar 1891 in Florenz, SC -nach dem Krieg: gescheiterter Pflanzer GA, Soth. Lebensinf..
22ii. Percival Drayton , US Navy wurde am 25. August 1812 in South Carolina>Navy>Philadelphia>Civil War geboren und starb am 4. August 1865 in Washington D.C. - kämpfte mit seinem Bruder Gen TF Drayton in Port Royal. Er heiratete Nie verheiratet.
17. Martha Fenwick (Mary Drayton3, Thomas Drayton, Hon2, Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) wurde am 15. Januar 1760 geboren. Sie heiratete Thomas Gadsden, Kapitän 15. Oktober 1778 in Charles Town, SC – “Gazette”, Sohn von Thomas Gadsden.

Kind von Martha Fenwick und Thomas Gadsden, Capt. ist:
+ 23 ich. Ann Gadsden wurde AFT geboren. 1778.
Nachkommenregister, Generation Nr. 4
23. Ann Gadsden (Martha Fenwick4, Mary Drayton3, Thomas Drayton, Hon2, Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) wurde AFT geboren. 1778. Sie heiratete William Drayton, Col War 1812 in 4 Kindern, Sohn von William Drayton, Chief Justice und Mary Motte. Er wurde am 20. Dezember 1776 in St. Autustine, Ost-Florida>Charleston>PA 1833 geboren - der Jüngste - und starb am 24. Mai 1846 in Philadelphia, PA - “Am. Zykl. von Bio”.


Fish Haul Creek Plantage

Land - 1100 Acres, 700 waren die ursprüngliche Fish Haul Creek Plantation, 400 waren Pine Barrens.

Karten - Hack, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, vor 1861

Holmgren, Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle
Holmgren, Recherche auf Hilton Head Island
Leute, Ein Index zu den Namen von Hilton Head Island
Leute, Geschichten von Ante Bellum Hilton Head Island Familien
Porcher, Die Geschichte von Sea Island Cotton

Zusätzliche Informationen:

Strandstadtstraße
Siehe auch Coggins Point Plantation, Fort Howell, Fort Walker

Das Plantagenland, das Samuel Green und Edmund Ellis nach 1740 gemeinsam erworben hatten, erstreckte sich vom Fish Haul Creek nach Westen entlang des Port Royal Sound. 1785 heiratete Sarah Green Tucker, Witwe von Thomas Tucker und Tochter von Samuel Green, Captain William Pope und machte Fish Haul zu ihrem Hauptwohnsitz. Emma Catherine Pope heiratete 1832 General Thomas Fenwick Drayton. General Drayton nutzte Fish Haul bis 1861 als sein Hauptquartier für die Verteidigung der Konföderierten von Hilton Head Island. (198?)

„In seinem früheren Testament vom 24. Februar 1767 überließ der Inselpflanzer Samuel Green seinem Sohn Samuel seine Fish Haul Plantation, auf der er lebte. Schließlich wurde Sarah Green.

"William Drayton und seine Frau Mary waren Besitzer von 1100 Acres, von denen 700 die ursprüngliche Fish Haul Creek Plantation (oft Fish Hall genannt) waren, die wahrscheinlich um 1770 von Samuel Green Erben gekauft wurde. (siehe Eintrag oben). Ein Teil dieses Anwesens wurde verkauft von der Bundesregierung an Neger und ein Teil für ein Militärreservat gehalten.Der Rest wurde im März 1875 für 407,83 Dollar an Steuern von den Erben von Mary (Drayton) Pope, die offensichtlich wieder geheiratet hatte, eingelöst und sie boten an, Land für einen neuen Friedhof und für eine Kirche auch, wenn die nächsten Angehörigen die in der Nähe ihres Hauses begrabenen Leichen entfernen würden. 1877 begannen die Erben mit dem Verkauf in kleinen Parzellen und 1931 kauften Thorne und Loomis in dreizehn verschiedenen Transaktionen Fish Haul-Land."

Die Arbeit der Chicora Foundation von 1989 an der Fish Haul Slave Row war die erste veröffentlichte archäologische Dokumentation einer Sklavensiedlung auf Hilton Head Island. Drei Fünf-Fuß-Einheiten und einige stehende Tabby-Schornsteine ​​wurden festgestellt.

Trinkley, Chicora Research Series 28, Archaeological Testing at the Stoney/Baynard Plantation, Hilton Head Island, Beaufort County, South Carolina, p. 16 (Quellenmaterial in Umfrage vermerkt)

Der 38BU806-Teil von Draytons Fish Haul Plantation Sklavenreihe (38BU805 im Jahr 1986 bei Chicora-Arbeiten und 1989 bei Brockington-Arbeiten), gilt als eine der bedeutendsten archäologischen Stätten auf Hilton Head. Hohe Integrität der Stätte und archäologische Überreste in ausgezeichnetem Erhaltungszustand. Empfohlen als berechtigt für das National Register of Historic Places. Barker Field ist ein etwa zehn Hektar großes County im Besitz und wird betrieben vom Beaufort County Recreation Department.

  • Trinkley, Chicora Research Series 17, Archäologische Untersuchung des Barker Field Expansion Project, Hilton Head Island, Beaufort County, South Carolina (Quellenmaterial in Umfrage aufgeführt)

Colonel John Barnwell erhielt am 10. Dezember 1717 einen Royal Grant für 500 Acres. Er nannte es Fish Haul. Sein Sohn John und seine Frau Martha verkauften es am 24. Oktober 1760 an Edward Ellis. 1838 heiratete Thomas F. Drayton Mary Baynard Pope und sie wohnten mit ihrer Mutter Mary Baynard Pope in Fish Haul. (Vater war John Edward Pope) Als Mary 1856 starb, wurde Thomas zum Verwalter ihres Anwesens ernannt und betrieb Fish Haul treuhänderisch für sieben minderjährige Drayton-Kinder.

Die Sklavenzählung von 1860 zeigt 52 Sklaven auf Fish Haul. Die Landwirtschaftszählung von 1860 zeigt 250 verbesserte Acres, 450 unverbesserte, im Wert von 10.000 $. Das Fehlen von Nutztieren auf der Liste weist auf eine stark orientierte Baumwollplantage hin. Getreide und Lebensmittel wurden für den lokalen Gebrauch angebaut.

Bei den Steuerverkäufen von 1863 wurde das Anwesen für 3.000 US-Dollar an die Bundesregierung verkauft. Die Auflistung von 1300 Acres deutet auf die Kombination von Fish Haul und der angrenzenden Pinelands Plantation hin. Drayton wird als "erhebliche Sklavenquartiere in gutem Zustand" und das Haupthaus als "herrlich" bezeichnet. Fotografien aus dem Jahr 1862 untermauern diese Aussagen.

Im Jahr 1862 wurden etwa 200 Hektar genutzt, um das Dorf der Freigelassenen Mitchelville zu schaffen.

Fish Haul wurde an Bacchus Singleton vermietet, treuhänderisch für sich selbst und die Landbewohner, die 1862 ihren Teil der Miete von 220 Dollar zahlten. Die Miete wurde von Militärs besetzt und die Hälfte des Herrenhauses wurde für eine Schule gehalten. Es galten bestimmte Einschränkungen, wie zum Beispiel nur die Hälfte des Ackerlandes pro Jahr bewirtschaftet werden durfte - die andere Hälfte lag brach. Die Regierung konnte ein Pfandrecht an der Ernte übernehmen, um die Zahlung der Miete zu garantieren, niemand, der auf dem Grundstück wohnte, konnte vertrieben werden, alle Arbeiten wurden gleichmäßig verteilt und niemand konnte im Herrenhaus wohnen.

Im Jahr 1867 beherbergte die Plantage 120 Schwarze. Die Miete betrug 90 Dollar.

1868 wurde das Land an Summer Christopher verpachtet. Im Jahr 1871 betrug die Miete 140 Dollar und war nicht mehr "treuhänderisch". Nach 1871 wurde das Land nicht mehr verpachtet.

Am 17. April 1875 zahlten die Erben von Mary Baynard Pope $407,83 für etwa 1300 Morgen Land einschließlich des Pineland-Trakts und des Dorfes Mitchelville. Ungefähr 803 Acres am Hilton Head Point südlich und östlich von Fish Haul Creek wurden von der Bundesregierung als Militärreservat reserviert. (Coggins-Punkt). Da sie das Anwesen verkaufen wollten, boten die Draytons (Erben von Mary Baynard Pope) an, einige Grundstücke für „kirchliche Zwecke“ zu spenden. Sie autorisierten ihre Anwälte, einen Friedhof auf Fish Haul zu errichten und denen, die ihre Toten von der Grabstätte in der Nähe des Herrenhauses wegbringen würden, Grundstücke zu geben. Dies scheint nicht gelungen zu sein.

Am 9. Dezember 1876 wurden 147,5 Acres an Robert McIntire verkauft, der es wiederum am 20. Februar 1878 an Gabriel Gardner verkaufte. Am 20. August 1888 verkaufte Gardner 650 Acres (einschließlich der Gardner Plantation) an Summer Christopher et. al.. Die Erben von Christopher verkauften 1894 das zehn Hektar große Grundstück mit der Fish Haul Slave Row an Fred Owens, Jr..

1920 war das Haupthaus verschwunden. Er hielt das Anwesen, bis es 1965 an die Hilton Head Company verkauft wurde. Von dort ging es zur Port Royal Plantation Group und dann zu Palmetto Dunes.

1978 erwarben die Hilton Head Gators 7,4 Acres von Palmetto Dunes. 1980 übernahm die Beaufort County Recreation Commission das Anwesen.

1989 enthält die Site mindestens sechs Strukturen. Oberirdisch ist jedes Gebäude durch einen Tabby-Schornsteinsockel gekennzeichnet. Der verwendete Tabby ist eine spezielle Mischung, die zusätzlich zu den normalen Austernschalenaggregaten ganze Muschelschalen enthält. Auch zerbrochene Ziegel, Glas und Keramik werden im Tabby gesichtet. Die Mischung liefert ein gut verdichtetes, dichtes und starkes Material.

"Das Projektgebiet befindet sich auf einem Teil der traditionell als Fish Haul Plantation bekannten Plantage. Fish Haul und ganz Hilton Head, eine typische Baumwollplantage in der Vorkriegszeit, wurden Opfer des Krieges. Unionstruppen übernahmen die Insel im Jahr 1861. nutzte das Haupthaus von Fish Haul als Wohnhaus für den kommandierenden General, lagerte Truppen, baute Sägewerke und protokollierte das Grundstück und baute auf dem Projektgebiet ein Dorf der Freigelassenen (Mitchelville) und eine Erdbaufestung (Fort Howell).

. 1717 erhielt John Barnwell ein Stipendium an der nordwestlichen Ecke der Insel. Trinkley zitiert mehrere Quellen. dass der Zuschuss 500 Acres betraf und in einem Verkauf von 1760 an Edward Ellis als Fish Haul beschrieben wurde. Sowohl Holmgren als auch Peeples geben Samuel Green und dann seiner Tochter Sarah Green Tucker den Kolonialbesitz von Fish Haul. William Pope war 1798 Witwer von Sarah Green Tucker Pope. Der konföderierte General Thomas Drayton verwaltete Fish Haul treuhänderisch für seine Kinder, die Erben von Mary B. Pope, als der Bürgerkrieg begann.


Drayton Familienwappen, Wappen und Namensgeschichte

Wir können eine genealogische Forschung machen. Finden Sie die genaue Geschichte Ihrer Familie heraus!

Alberic „Sanglier“ de Vere

Bedeutung des Nachnamens, Herkunft und Etymologie
Dieser angelsächsische Nachname ist ein standortbezogener / habitueller Nachname, der "von Drayon" bedeutet, aus etwa sechzehn verschiedenen Pfarreien und Diözesen mit diesem Namen in ganz England (z. B. Crockford, Bath, Wells, Norwich, Oxford, Peterborough, Lichfield, Southwell, London). , und Ely). Der Name leitet sich von dem altenglischen Wort ab draeg oder droeg, was Schleppen, Slipanlage, Portage oder Schlitten bedeutet (ein Gebiet, in dem Boote/Schiffe über Land gezogen oder auf nassem Boden gezogen wurden) oder das Wort Dragan, was bedeutet, zu zeichnen oder zu ziehen, und das Wort tun, was Siedlung, Einfriedung oder Bauernhof bedeutet. Eine andere Quelle behauptet, sie beziehe sich auf einen Bauernhof, auf dem schwere Güter und Produkte geschleppt wurden. Einer der frühesten Orte mit diesem Namen war Dreyton in Devon. Die Familie wurde erstmals vor der normannischen Invasion von 1066 n. Chr. in Norfolk, England, bekannt. Die Familie wurde zu einer prominenten politischen Familie in South Carolina und besaß eine 464 Hektar große Plantage, die als Magnolia Plantation and Gardens bekannt ist.

Rechtschreibvarianten
Häufige Schreibvarianten oder Namen mit ähnlichen Etymologien sind Draytone, Draghton, Dreyton, Dradon, Draydon und Draton.

Popularität und geografische Verteilung
Der Nachname rangiert Drayton bei der Volkszählung im Jahr 2000 auf Platz 4.670. Besonders hoch rangiert der Name in den folgenden sieben Bundesstaaten: South Carolina, Georgia, New Jersey und Arizona. Der Nachname ist auch in England verbreitet, wo er auf Platz 4.258 steht. Es rangiert am höchsten in den folgenden Grafschaften: Lincolnshire, Shropshire und Somerset. Der Name ist in der gesamten englischsprachigen Welt verbreitet: Schottland (38.841.), Wales (9.097.), Irland (31.207.), Kanada (16.224.), Neuseeland (3.074.), Australien (2.855.) und Südafrika (20.379.).

Schloss Hedingham

Frühe Träger des Nachnamens
The Hundred Rolls von 1273 n. Chr., eine Volkszählung von Wales und England, in Latein bekannt als Rotuli Hundredorum führt zwei Träger dieses Nachnamens auf: Matila de Drayton in der Grafschaft Cambridgeshire und Beatrix de Draytone in der Grafschaft Huntingdonshire. Die Testa de Neville listet einen Simon de Drayton in der Grafschaft Warwick auf, der während der Regierungszeit von König Heinrich III. (1216-1272) und König Edward I. lebte (1272-1307) von England. Die Geschichte von Norfolk berichtet von einem Richard de Drayton, der 1284 n. Chr. Gerichtsvollzieher von Yamouth war. The Poll Tax of Yorkshire in 1379 AD lists three bearers of this last name: Johannes de Drayton, Willelmus de Draghton, and Robertus de Draghton. An early marriage involving this surname was William Drayton to Margaret Topley at St. James Clerkenwell in London in 1576 AD.

History, Genealogy, and Ancestry
The earliest known ancestor from which the Drayton family descends was Alphonsus de Vere, also known as Comte de Guines, who was born between 965 and 1025 AD. He had a son named Alberic. His son Sheriff Alberic “Sanglier” de Vere, Sheriff of Berkshire, was born in 1030 AD in Ver, Manche, Normandy, France. He married Beatrice de Vere and moved to England. He had issue, including a son named Aubrey. His son Aubrey Alberic de Vere II, known by several names and titles, such as 1 st Earl of Ocofrd, Sheriff of London and Middle Sex, Lord of Hedingham Castle, and Lord Great Chamberlain of England, was born in 1062 AD in Hedingham, Essex, England. He married Adeliza FitzGilbert de Vere and had issue with her, including a son named Robert. His son Sir Robert de Vere, lord of Twywell, also known as Robert de Vere of Addington and Drayton, was born in 1124 AD. He married Matidal de Furnell and had issue with her, including a son named Henry. Henry de Vere, Lord of Drayton & Adington Manors, was born in 1155 AD and he married Malida de Furnell and had a son with her named Walter. His son Sir Walter de Drayton married Hildeburga de Vere de Bosco and had a son with her named Henry. Sir Henry de Drayton was born in 1198 AD. He married Isabella Vere and had a son with her named Baldwin. His son Sir Baldwin de Drayton, or Baudoi de Drayton, was born in 1223 AD. He married Idonea de Gimeges and had a son named Sir John de Drayton. Sir John was born in 1254 AD in Drayton. Northamptonshire, England. He married Philippe d’Ardenne and had a son with her named Simon. Sir Simon de Drayton was born in 1283 AD in the same town and he married Margaret de Lindsay. He had two issue with her: John and Katherine Green. His son John (also spelled Johan) was born in 1317 AD and he married a woman named Christiana and had a son with her named Baldwin. His son Baldwin de Drayton was a Knight born in 1330 AD. He married a woman named Alice and had a son with her named John. John was born in 1365 and he married a woman named Margaret. They had a son together named John born in 1391 AD. He married a woman named Margaret and had two issue with her: John Drayton and William Dryden. His son John was born in 1355 in Strixton, England. He married a woman named Ann and had a son with her named William Dryden. William was born in 1425 AD and married a woman named Grace, with whom he had a son named Drayton Dryden, born in 1455.

Drayton House, built by Aubrey de Vere I

Roger Drayton was born in 1316 AD in England. He married Catherine de Wolerton and had a daughter with his named Margaret. Margaret was born in 1341 and married John Worlych, with whom she had a daughter named Emma, who married James Moore.

Thomas Drayton Sr. is Atherston, Warwickshire, in England. He married Elizabeth Carpenter and had a son with her named Thomas Jr. prior to his death in the Barbados in 1702. His son Thomas Jr. was born in 1650 and he married Ann Fox. They had four children together: Thomas, Mary (Fuller), Stephen Fox, and John Sr. His son Thomas Drayton III was born in Magnolia Plantation in Charleston, South Carolina in 1700. He married Elizabeth Bull and Mary MacKenzie and had children: William Sr., Mary, Stephen, Henrietta Charlotte, John, and Thomas. His son Lt. Colonel Stephen Drayton was born in St. Andrew’s Parish, South Carolina in 1736. His son Judge William Drayton St. was born in the same locale in 1732.

John Drayton was born in Barrington, Sometset in 1656. He married Joan Rush and had three issue with her: Joan (Stower), John, and Henry. Henry was born in the same town in 1681. He married Joan Hixt and had the following children with her: John, Tristram, Joan (Doble), Henry, Alice, and Ann. His son Henry was born in 1716 in the same town and he married Mary Rouswell. They had the following children together: Edward, Betty (Taylor), Mary (Dade), Henry, Samuel, Ann (Bishop), William, John, Alice (Pittard), and William. His son Edward was born in the same town in 1743. He married Joan Rush and had five children with her: Henry, Mary, William, John, and Edward. His son Edward was born in 1780 in Somerset, England and he had numerous issue with her: Joan (Male), Nancy, Ann, Betty, William, Edmund, John, Henry, Mary (Barrett), and Samuel. His son Henry Drayton was born in the same town in 1817 and he married Jane Paul in 1840. He later went to Australia. He had the following children: Samuel Henry, Hester Ellen Broughton, William, George Edward, Mary Ellen, John Thomas, Henry Albert, and Charlotte. His son John Thomas was born in 1859 in Richmond, New South Wales, Australia, and he married Mary Ann Baker in 1882. He passed away in 1926.

built by Thomas Drayton Jr. c. 1670

John Drayton was born in Drayton, Somerset, England in 1600. He went to Virginia where he married Elizabeth Bishopp. He had one daughter with her named Judith, who married William Peebles.

Early American and New World Settlers
Das Buch Genealogical Guide to the Early Settlers, mentions five people bearing this surname: 1) Henry Drayton of Marshield, “able to bear arms”, in 1643, and 2) John Drayton of Maine in 1642. Other early settlers in colonial America include Thomas Drayton (North Carolina 1671). Anne Drayton went to the Barbados in 1654. A one Thomas Drayton and his servants went to the Barbados in 1680. William and Priscilla Drayton went to Adelaide, Australia aboard the Diadem in 1840.

Grantees
We have 12 coats of arms for the Drew or Drewe surname depicted here. These 12 blazons are from Bernard Burke’s book The General Armory of England, Ireland, and Scotland, which was published in 1848. The bottom of this page contains the blazons, and in many instances contains some historical, geographical, and genealogical about where coat of arms was found and who bore it.

William Henry Drayton

Fenwick Hall Plantation

Written in 1921:
Schatz. John Fenwick did not record the date or manner of his immigration to America. The moving cause of his coming may have well been a summons from his brother, Robert. There has survived a land 'warrant' issued to John Fenwicke of the date March 1, 1704/5 for 500 acres of land on Sandtee River adjoing another tract which he then already owned and it was in the summer of 1706 that, having then been established in the colony long enough to have become a Captain of militia, he there had his crowded hour.

History of Fenwick Hall
(Shortest version of a long History?)

1703 - John Fenwick(e), youngest son of Robert, immigrates to Carolina from England and serves as Commissioner of the Indian Tract. Marries Elizabeth Gibbes (born 2.4.1691) , daughter of Governor (and Chief Justice) Robert Gibbes of a Devonshire family, who came early to Carolina from Barbadoes. Gibbes conveys much of his land on Johns Island to Fenwick.
1720 - Indianer are Fenwick's Johns Island neighbors when he builds a house of notched logs. Possible previous Fort. This fort becomes the tall basement of the manor house.
1730/1738 - John Fenwick, from builds the rectangular main section of the manor house on top of notch logs/fort on John's Island facing the Stono River.
1747- Edward Fenwick Sr ,Esq, (Lord Ripon) inherits his father's John multiple plantations and 11,000 acres and propertys downtown Charles towne. Edward Sr first marries Martha Izard, daughter of Ralph Izard of "The Elms, Goose Creek. Martha dies and Edward Sr then remarried to Mary Drayton, daughter of Thomas Drayton of "Magnolia" on the Ashley River. Edward Sr travels through Europe, selecting thoroughbred horses for his Johns Island Stud Farm at Fenwick Hall. Edward builds the coach house and a impressive separate brick stable for his horses. A three-mile (some claim 3 1/2 mile) race track is built from what is now the intersection of Maybank and River roads to Christ Church on Maybank. Fenwick's children live in a mansion of brick surrounded by white and black servants, stables, barns, a coach house and cleared fields- a testament to the family's wealth and social standing. Legend has it that Fenwick's daughter elopes with an Irish coachman and is caught the next day with her groom. Fenwick orders his daughter to whip into motion a horse that supports her lover, who hangs from a noose.The daughter's ghost still roams the house, calling her lover's name: "Tony, Tony, Tony."A different version of the legend is told today on Johns Island. The groom was beheaded by the noose and on full moons rides through the marsh searching for his lover. Some swear to have seen the Headless Horseman of Fenwick.
1753 - Edward Fenwick Jr. "Ned" Eldest son of Edward Sr inherits and revives for ten more years (1777-1788) the John's Island Stud his father began. December 1774 Edward Jr mets and secretly marrys his german cousin, daughter of John Stuart, H.M. Superintendant of Indian Affairs for the Southern Department, over his fathers well documented opposal.
1779- As word spreads of the British invasion of Charleston, Edward's sons, Edward, Jr. and Thomas, shockingly defect to the British. Edward Jr. and Thomas join the British forces, who take Fenwick Hall. The British have to protect them from their neighbors. American Patriots accept a dinner invitation to Fenwick Hall. Edward Fenwick Jr reports on their strength to the British, who surround the Americans. The Americans lay down their arms. The British bayonet them, killing or wounding almost every man.After the war, Thomas flees to Jamaica with a large number of his father's slaves and is never heard from again. Edward Jr. is portrayed as a Patriot spy by his supporters and eventually is accepted by his neighbors. Due to Fenwick family litigation, Edward Jr must sell the Stono River plantation and departs Fenwick Hall and moves to Edisto to continue the horse breeding tradition of the British Fenwicks. Ned dies on a Friday, in the fall of 1800, at only the age of 46 of a confirmed dropsy.
The Fenwick plantation is bought at auction by the Gibbes Familie. John Gibbes is then thought to have added the octagonal wing to Fenwick Hall and possibly the portico and roof ballastrade around 1800, just before his death.
1782 -January 15, (Revolutionary War) Lt Colonel Laurens captures stragglers at abandoned British Camp (Fenwick Hall). Also, Laurens exchanges gunfire with a British schooner on the Stono River, presumably near Fenwick Hall & Gibbes Planatation.
1803 - John Gibbes dies. Fenwick is sold to Joseph Jenkins,
1810 (1806)
- Robert Brown buys it from Joseph and Elizabeth Jenkins on May 9, 1810. William Seabrook, Esq, handles the transaction.
1817 -? Eleven years later, planter, Benjamin Reynolds, purchases the 2,475 acre track for $20,000.00. State Senator 1818-1826. St Johns Vestry 1812-1825. Married Sarah Toomer.
Pre-1838 - Benjamin F. Scott purchases the plantation.
5.29.1838 William Snowden, Martha and Justus Angel purchased Head Quarters PLantation.
2.10.1840 - After succession of owners, Dr Daniel Jenkins Townsend , a planter on Edisto, buys Fenwick. During the Civil War, Fenwick Hall was used by both the Union and the Confederacy as a field hospital. Its usefulness to the Union probably saved it from being burned.When the Townsends return after the war, the plantation's farmland is in ruins.The land is leased for farming. Townsend was born 5.29.1807 at Bleak Hall Plantation, Edisto Island, SC and died 7.29.1885 at Rockville, Wadalaw Island, SC. Three of their children are born at Fenwick Hall (Susan Mary Townsend, Elizabeth Amarinthia Townsend, & James Swinton Townsend). Dr Jenkins lived at Fenwick during the winter and summered in the Village of Rockville,. He built a church there with the help of two of his slaves who were highly skilled apprenticed carpenters in Charleston. The small white church (Rockville Presbyterian Church) was built about 11 feet off the ground in the style of the homes of Rockville, with pillars made of tabby, a mixture of shell and lime. Orginally there was a tall steeple, but it crashed to the ground in the great hurricane of 1893. During the civil was the steeple was used as a lookout from which to observe Federal gunboats in the North Edisto River.
Pre-1867 - Daniel H. Townsend owns Fenwick.
12.20.1867 - John Henry Townsend also owns Brick House Plantation.
12.11.1876 - Thomas F.H. Peck then owns Fenwick.
02.1900 - Martha Peck.
1910 . John Limehouse leases and opens on Fenwick farmland that becomes famous for pork sausage.
10.5.1912 Henry B. Whilden now owns Fenwick and it is called " Fenwick Castle " and "very old historic house". Home is boarded up and sits deserted. The land continues to be used for farming.
Late 1920's -1930 - Victor Morawetz and his second wife, Marjorie, of New York City, buys and restores the badly deteriorated plantation house with his wife. He dies in 1938. They grow unique and rare cacti in their garden with many blooming variety. Many of these cacti grow 25' high in the garden. At that time, the plantation is calleld 'Fenwick Castle'. Morawetz was a wealthy NY City lawyer known for his astute dealings with railroads and corporations. They also owned the "Pirate House' in historic Charleston. The Charleston "Pink House", 17 Chalmers St, Constructed circa 1712 was also restored by the Morawetz in the 1930's. Driving to Fenwick from Charleston via James Island, you will drive through a alley of Magnolia trees at the golf course. Victor Morawtez planted these trees during the time he and his wife restored Fenwick. The magnolia trees are still there today and make the drive to Fenwick Hall a pleasant outing.
1931 , April-Historic American Building Survey completed on the plantation and accepted into Library of Congress (while under Morawetz ownership).
12.27. 1943 The plantation is sold to Helen (Nellie) Igoe Blanchard and is called "Fenwick Hall Plantation". The Blanchards move in! Plantation is down to 1,332 acres.
1958 -" The Legend of Fenwick Hall" overture is played by The National Symhony Orchestra in Washington, D.C. It was directed and written by the Blanchard's son, Robert Igoe Blanchard. Bob wrote the overture as his graduate thesis for his master's degree. Blanchards--can we get a copy of the music?
1972 - February 23- Plantation is accepted to the National Registry for Historic Places while under the Blanchard's ownership.
1975 - Helen Igoe and Claude Wright Blanchard Sr , a Charleston County contractor, put the 1,200-acre Fenwick estate on the market for $xxx million. Anyone have a copy of the brochure that was used to advertise the plantation? I lost my copy over the years! Schade.
4.27. 1978 - No buyers for the complete plantation. The plantation is then partitioned, and at least one tract sold to private developers. Fenwick Acres Partnership purchases Tract B which includes the manor house and then leases to Fenwick Hospital.
1978 - Blanchards sell Fenwick Hall and relocate. Blanchard children inherit portions of the partioned plantation minus the main house and two Oak Allees'.
1980 - Fenwick Hall Hospital, a private alcohol and drug abuse counseling center, begins operation on the smaller 55 acre estate. Only the elite can initally afford to stay at this clinic which resembles a high end health spa. The main house is damaged due to installation of fire supression equipment and commercial kitchens. Holes are drilled recklessly into the original aged paneling. Hand painted mural in the 'great room' from 1931 is painted over. Old historic doors are spray painted with black paint and stencels to note patient's room numbers.
1985 - Fenwick Hall Plantation is annexed into the city of Charleston and zoned for development. (yikes! Imagine the taxes!)
1990 - Fenwick Hall Hospital- Rates were as high as $14,000 per month. Many well known 'patients' visit, such as former Washington D.C. Mayor, Marion Barry (& body guards). Former Dodgers pitcher, Don Newcombe was also a patient along with John Drew, NBA Star with the Atlanta Hawks. A second mayor chose the 'hall' for recovery-former Ft Lauderdale mayor Charles Lowery recovered here.
The Washington Post Newspaper calls Fenwick a "pricey, luxurious, exclusive center". The Chronicle Telegram newspaper (Elyria,Ohio) 7.5.1981 article states "Alcoholism center caters to execs at top" with its heated swimming pool, exercise room, whirlpool, sauna and locker area. A tennis & basketball court is a stone's throw away. The staff included three physicians, a dozen nurses, consultants, counselors, social workers and recreational therapist. The clientele has included some nationally known sports, entertainment and businesss figures whose identities the hospital guards unless they decide to go public". Programs included "Art Therapy". Multiple free standing buildings for the hospital are built on the estate called a 'colonial farm campus' by the architect.
1995 - Fenwick Hospital closes. Charter medical Corp closes the 49-bed rehabiliatation center. Plantation sits abandoned
except for the security guard and ghost for almost five years. Main house suffers from neglect including water damage.
2000 - Newest Owners/Caretakers! Even though the property is advertised for sale world wide by Colliers Kennans Real Estate, a local couple, xxx and xxx buy the Fenwick and the 55-acre tract around it, which they plan to restore and reside in. There was interest from London and the Cathoic Church for a time considered Fenwick Hall as a residence for retired priests. (Aiken County/South Carolina News 11/11/2000). Fenwick Hall research and restoration begins and the plantation comes back to life!
And with the plantations new life, it is now called, lovingly, "Fenico".
2001 -Developers propose & construct several hundred housing units on the original plantation property overlooking the main house & drive. Legal battles ensue as the developers do not follow legal agreements and impact what is left of the plantation significantly. Every other street on the island is named after something to do with fenwick--overkill. Charleston BY-PASS may be constructed and pass right thru the Fenwick Hall platation. Can it get any worse for Fenwick? Yep, global warming with a rise in the tides. Many surrounding subdivisions on the former plantation grounds go 'belly up' before completion.

TODAY:
Restoration on the property continues including the various buildings, landscaping and saving the huge old oaks.
Die City of Charleston can't wait to destroy one of the two Fenwick Hall Plantation's Oak Allees! The city plans to cut a roadway (new Penny's Creek Road) by clearing the OaK Allee that flanks the Twelve Oaks Condos .

January 3, 2018. Rare snowfall blankets Fenwick for days.

Quellen
: Cultural Resources Study of Fenwick Tract D, Ralph Bailey, Brockington and Associates Post and Courier articles Aiken County/South Carolina News Chronicle Telegram 7.5.1981 Elyria, Ohio Jonathan Poston, director of preservation programs, Historic Charleston Foundation The History of Beaufort County, Lawrence S. Rowland City of Charleston Richard Kerr, John's Island Stud, Helena Igoe Blanchard McKay-Vivona, Martha Aldridge, Harry Campbell Vaiden III.

1730 he builds major portion of Fenwick Hall.

John was of noble British origin and the Fenwick family was known as a very old family and of immense belongings. John married Elizabeth Gibbes b 4 Feb, 1691, daughter of Governor Robert Gibbes of S.Carolina.

1721 Colonel John Fenwicke was appointed an Associate Justice.
1730 he was appointed a member of His Majesty's Council in S.Carolina.
June 1740 Colonel Fenwick was promoted to rank of Major-General and of the appointment of Colonel Charles Pickney to the command of his regiment.

John Fenwick's eldest son inherits Fenwick Place:
Honorable Edward Culcheth Fenwick, Sr, Esq.,
(The "Lord Ripon") and 2nd wife, Mary Drayton Fenwick.
Edward b 1720-1775
Inherits the plantation.
(d) July 7, 1775

Images of Hon. Edward Fenwick Sr and Mary Drayton Fenwick are copies
of miniature paintings behind glass. These images were graciously
provided by their descendant,
Mr Andrew Jones.
I thank Mr Jones for sharing these important historical paintings.

Edward Fenwick Sr. was the founder of the John's Island Stud.
He built the impressive Coach House and matching Stable and private race track. He is one of the few directly responsible for the bloodline that we know as the American Thoroughbred Horse.

Edward Sr Wives:
1. Martha Izard , daughter of Hon. Ralph Izard. Edward Sr and Martha had one daughter, Elizabeth Fenwick.
2. Mary Drayton b 21 Dec 1734, (yes, of Drayton Hall) married Edward Sr on Feb 27, 1753, who was the daughter of Thomas Drayton & Elizabeth Bull. Mary marries John DeBrahm after Edward Sr's death.
Mary and Edward Sr had a whopping 15 children who are listed below.

1. Edward Fenwick Jr, b. 12 Dec 1753. (Spy and Traitor-assisted Capt John Stuarts wife and daughter on Feb 3, 1776). Married Christiana (b 1752) Stuart.
2. John Fenwick, b 12 Aug 1755
3. Sarah Fenwick, b 3 Dec 1756 (married Feb 1777, Macartan Campbell)
4. Mary Fenwick, b 7 Jan 1757 (married Nov 1779, Walter Izard, son of Ralph Izard)
5. Colonel Thomas Fenwick (of British Militia), b 19 Dec 1758 (Spy and Traitor-guided British in their attack on Capt Matthews and Barnwell on John's Island in 1779)
6. Martha Fenwick, b 15 Jan 1760 (married Oct 15,1778, Thomas Gadsden, Captain in 1st Regiment SC Continentals)
7. Robert Fenwick, b 16 Mar 1761
8. Charlotte Elizabeth Fenwick, b 4 Nov 1762
9. Selina Fenwick, b 18 Apr 1762 (unmarried as of 1805)
10. Robert William Fenwick, b 16 May 1765 (died before 1785?)
11. Charlotte Fenwick, b 21 July 1766 (married 1st: Willaim Leigh Pierce, Captain on staff of Gen.Greene. 2nd husband was Ebenezer Jackson)
12. Matilda Fenwick, b 12 Dec 1767 (possibly married Robert Giles-no children)
13. Harriette Fenwick, b Mar 1769 (married Josiah Tattnall, Jr in 1786, Governor).
14. George Fenwick, b 5 Jan 1771 (died before 1785?)
15. Brevet Brig. General John Roger Fenwick, b 13 Jan 1773 (never married/no children). Died Mar 1842.

(Majority of the children obtained an proper education in England.)


Honorable Edward Culcheth Fenwick, Sr, Esq Dies.
The "Lord Ripon" dies July 7, 1775
1720-1775
<--- Obituary

Click on the obit left to enlarge.

Edward Fenwick, Jr,
Becomes a 'man without a country' due to his deeds.
Eldest son of Edward Fenwick, Sr.
1753-1800

Edward Jr.. attempted to continue his father's horse breeding and like his father, he did import high blood horses.
Edward Jr was a British 'Loyalist' & 'Tory' and betrayed both Americans and Britian and along with his traitor brother, Thomas Fenwick. Both were weak in character.

Col. Edward Fenwick , from Charleston County.

Initally a captain, Fenwick as lieutenant colonel commanded a unit of loyalist dragoos from out Charleston in
early 1781. In April, he managed to route Harden at nearby Fort Balfour. He and a number of his men were
exchanged, and in the latter part of July reappeared in the field. Thereafter Fenwick and his troops continued
to act as a patrol outside Charleston. Joseph Johnson says he was twice a traitor, first to Americans, later to British, and supplied Greene with information, and for which, like Andrew Williamson, his property was later spared confiscation by the 'rebels'. In the end, Edward Fenwick Jr was the classic example of a 'man without a country' .
had all his property confiscated by the "Confiscation Act of 1782".Three years later. by a special "Act of Assembly" (just for him!) on March 24, 1785, Edward Jr's property was restored to him but he was required to leave the state within a year.
He was also subject to the internal family litigiation from his siblings that led him to attempt to sell the Fenwick Plantation, which in the end, family relative and neighbor, John Gibbes purchases.


<---Obituary
September 13, 1800.
Died at 46 years.

Charlotte Fenwick
b July 21, 1766
Sister to John Roger and Edward Jr and 12 others.

Charlotte first married William Leigh Pierce. Pierce was from Virginia and they settled in Georgia. Soon after the Revoluntion, in 1787, he sat as a delegate from the state to the Convention that framed the Constitution of the United States.

Charlotte Fenwick's 2nd husband was Ebenezer Jackson of Massachusetts. He was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant of 3rd Continental Artillery on June 27, 1781 where he served until Nov 3, 1783. Mrs Charlotte Jackson's daughter, Harriet Jackson, became in 1821 the wife of Commodore Tattnall, her first cousin.

Who was Charlotte Fenwick? Here are exerpts of a letter written to her soon-to-be husband from a friend, describing her on July 10, 1783:

Dear Major Pierce,
Last evening for the first time in my life I saw Miss Charlotte Fenwick. She sang "Return Enraptured Hours" most divinely. She is rather pretty than handsome. She is lively, facitious and I think abonimably clever. The whole town says you are engaged to her-it is taken for granted-and now you are ranked on the list of a Northern Gentleman marrying a Southern Lady.

BRIGADIER GENERAL JOHN ROGER FENWICK
1773-1842

The last Fenwick male.
John Roger Fenwick's photo is only the second photograph of
a Fenwick I have been able to locate. John Roger was the "last' of the male line of Fenwick Hall Fenwicks had no children. Born at Fenwick Hall, John Roger Fenwick was the youngest son of Edward Sr and had the good fortune to be born too late to become broiled in the political battles of his older siblings (Edward Jr & Thomas). 1799 John Roger Fenwick was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps and he was regulary promoted. 1809 he became Captain. In December of 1811, John Roger resigned from the Marines in order to transfer to the Army.
He was severly wounded and made prisoner at the Battle of Queenstown Heights, 13th October 1812 in the War of 1812.
March 1813 he was brevetted Colonel for "gallant conduct" on the Nigara frontier, and was on the same date appointed Adjutant General of the Army, with the rank of Colonel. John Roger Fenwick was disbanded with the rank of Colonel in June 1815, but retained in the Army as Lieutenant Colonel of Light Artillery. He was commissioned Colonel of the 4th artillery in May 1822.

The 18th of March, 1823 he became 'Brigadier General, U.S.A. and in that rank, ended an honourable professional career. He was well like by both President Madison and M.Van Buren. John ended his career as Counsel for the USA to France and spent his remaining years there in Paris. He had no wife, no children.

On the death of General John Roger Fenwick in 1842, the 'tail male' of the Carolina Fenwicks was broken. Their tradition has since been maintained only by descendants of the General Fenwick's sisters.

John Gibbes
Fenwick's were neighbors & cousins with the Gibbes.
John Gibbes purchased Fenwick Hall Plantation from Edward Fenwick Jr as a forced sale due to 'internal' Fenwick Family Litigation. (Edward's brothers and sisters wanted their part of inheritance from Edward Fenwick Sr's estate.)

Some authorities ruminate that Edward Fenwick Sr added the octagonal wing on the manor house for his second bride at the same time he built the coach house and stables. Others claim that John Gibbes added the wing & roof-top balustrade upon his purchase of the property.

Joseph & Elizabeth Jenkins
?
purchases plantation from John Gibbes.

Robert Brown
Sells !
1810, October 17
Charleston City Gazette Newspaper
The subscriber offers for sale his Plantation, situation on John's Island, and in sight of Charleston, from which by water, it is a distant about six miles and by land, over the Ashley River Bridge, probably, not more than three or four. It possesses a very extensive front on Stono River, on which it has several good landings. It has an abundance of oak, and pine wood on the margin of the river, which, from its local situation, may be easily transported to market. It contains within its own bounds an excellent range of stock, an article of considerable profit and ready sale. This track contains by old survey 2,000 acres, and consist of cotton, corn and rice, pine and high black-rush land. The cotton and rice lands are of excellent quality the rush bowls may be easily embanked, and converted into the first quality cotton land, the bottom being blue clay.

There are on the premises an exceeding good Dwelling House, containing thirteen upright Rooms, a large kitchen and stable, all built of bricks a machine house, cotton house, & c. Die grounds around the building elegantly laid out but a further description is deemed superfluous, as any person desirous of becomming a purchases will, of course, view the premises.

The terms and other particulars will be made known by applying, directly on the premises, to the subscriber, or through the medium of Messrs. Rhodes & Otis Factors, Charleston
Robert Brown, john's island, October 27

Dr Daniel Jenkins Townsend
James Swinton Townsend (b9.16.1848, d12.16.1887), son of Fenwick Hall owner (1840) , Dr Daniel Jenkins Townsend, was born at Fenwick Hall on September 16, 1848. He married Mary Amarinthea Jenkins Townsend in 1871 and had ten (10) children. Daniel Townsend left his son much of the Rockland Plantation which they had farmed together.

Also born at Fenwick was two of James Swinton's younger sisters:
b1845 d1863 Susan Mary Townsend
b1847 d1876 Elizabeth Amarinthia Townsend

Photo courtesy of Jean Townsend.

Today Limehouse descendants continue to sell some of the finest local produce grown and sold in the Lowcountry.

Former owner and restorer of Fenwick, Mr Victor Morawetz , New York Attorney, was also the architect of one of the most admired railroad turnarounds in history .

Victor and his (2nd) wife Margorie Nott Morawetz , (northern cultural philantropist) restored Fenwick from ruins in the 1930's. He died in 1938. In addition to preserving and restoring several noteable properties in Charleston, including the Haig House at 30 Meeting Street and the Smythe House at 14

16 Lejare St and the Pink House. In the early part of the 19th century, the Pink House deteriorated and was not really repaired until the 1930's when the Morawetz took an interest. It is during its restoration that the small wing on the southeast corner was added, as space in which caterers could work, since the Morawetz used the building strictly as a place to entertain. This wing now houses the teal print room and office space. The Morawetz's hired Architects Albert Simons & his partner Samuel Lapham Jr for the restoration and additions to Fenwick Hall.

Margorie was active in Charleston's restoration and believed it was to Charleston's advantage to erase visible traces of its Victorian past by 'bringing out its (older) 18th century beauty, as much of which is hidden and to 'scrape' off gingerbread ornaments, etc.

Even though considered New Yorkers (part of the swarm of Yankees), the Morawtez's were considered for membership in the St. Cecilia Society, the hallmark of "belonging' in the elite white Charleston society.

One note of interest, during 1927, a private SPS Performance (Society for the Preservation of Negro Spirituals) was held at Fenwick HAll which internationally renowed composer and music critic Walter Damrosch attended. The SPS goal was to protect and preserve African American Spirituals that were sung during the slavery days in the lowcountry. Usually there was a group of 20 or so singers. During January 1930, the SPS sang at the Thursday Evening Club in N.York in front of a "proper New York audience" at the request of the Morawetz. Marjorie described the club's membership as "conservative, cultivated and representative-perhaps a little more of the past than the present". It was said an evening of exchange between like-minded elite individuals was sure to result. (Get the drift?)

Morawetz's benefices to Charleston include the land on which the municipal golf course was built and the bordering avenue of Magnolias along the Maybank Highway. One million dollars given to the South Carolina Medical Society, a wing for the Roper Hospital for the treatment of black patients with contageous diseases, contributions to the Material Welfare Clinic, and much of SeaBrook Island to the Episcopal Church with the understanding that its nature beauty be maintained. Their latter wishes were not honored as the Church sold off much of Seabrook for money.

The Morawetz's also donated funds to the Gibbes Museum in Charleston that was used for museum purchases. They also gave the museum 18th century miniature paintings.

At the time of his death in Charleston, Victor and Marjorie maintained a residence in N.York at 39 East SeventyNinth Street.

Mrs Marjorie Knott Morawetz tried to help the new owner save "Brick House Plantation", Edisto, in the 1930's, but the cost to restore the house was too great, and it was torn down in the 1950's. Mrs Victor Morawetz had an iron-rail fence installed a around the Stanyarne family cemetery to protect it. The graveyard is all that is left of the Brick House Plantation that once grew sea-island, long-staple cotton.

1947-1956 Marge was a Trustee with the "Historic Charleston Foundation" and since 1956 Marjorie has been an "Honorary Trustee".


Das J. Paul Getty Museum

Dieses Bild steht im Rahmen des Open-Content-Programms von Getty zum kostenlosen Download zur Verfügung.

Slaves of General Thomas F. Drayton

Henry P. Moore (American, 1835 - 1911) 13 × 20.8 cm (5 1/8 × 8 3/16 in.) 84.XM.483.25

Open Content-Bilder haben in der Regel eine große Dateigröße. Um potenzielle Datengebühren von Ihrem Mobilfunkanbieter zu vermeiden, empfehlen wir Ihnen, vor dem Herunterladen sicherzustellen, dass Ihr Gerät mit einem Wi-Fi-Netzwerk verbunden ist.

Derzeit nicht zu sehen

Objektdetails

Titel:

Slaves of General Thomas F. Drayton

Künstler/Hersteller:
Kultur:
Stelle:

Hilton Head, South Carolina, United States (Place Created)

Medium:
Objektnummer:
Maße:

13 × 20.8 cm (5 1/8 × 8 3/16 in.)

Mark(s):

(Recto, mount): yellow paper label imprinted in black ink, affixed at lower right corner: "Slaves of Rebel Gen. T.F. Drayton, / Hilton Head, S.C. / Photographed and For Sale by / H.P. Moore, Concord, N.H."

Inscription(s):

(Verso, mount) inscribed in pencil, at lower right corner: "H.P. Moore / C.W. [space] 75"

Abteilung:
Einstufung:
Objekttyp:
Objektbeschreibung

This photograph, depicting a large group of slaves, was taken by Henry P. Moore at Hilton Head, South Carolina on the seven-hundred-acre Fish Haul Plantation belonging to Thomas Fenwick Drayton. The plantation was largely dedicated to producing cotton, and fifty-two slaves worked and lived there. Moore's photographs from this period document slaves' living quarters and include images of workers ginning and sorting cotton. This image depicts slaves who were in the process of being freed by the federal government.

Herkunft
Herkunft

Samuel Wagstaff, Jr., American, 1921 - 1987, sold to the J. Paul Getty Museum, 1984.

Ausstellungen
Ausstellungen
Grave Testimony: Photographs of the Civil War (January 14 to March 29, 1992)
Hidden Witness: African Americans in Early Photography (February 28 to June 18, 1995)
In Focus: The Worker (November 3, 2009 to March 21, 2010)
The Thrill of the Chase: The Wagstaff Collection of Photographs at the J. Paul Getty Museum (March 15, 2016 to May 7, 2017)
  • The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), March 15 to July 31, 2016
  • Wadsworth Atheneum (Hartford), September 10 to December 11, 2016
  • Portland Museum of Art (Portland), February 13 to May 7, 2017
Literaturverzeichnis
Literaturverzeichnis

Martineau, Paul. The Thrill of the Chase: the Wagstaff collection of photographs at the J. Paul Getty Museum. (Los Angeles: J. Paul Getty Museum, 2016), p. 92, pl. 41.

Diese Informationen werden aus der Sammlungsdatenbank des Museums veröffentlicht. Aktualisierungen und Ergänzungen aufgrund von Forschungs- und Bildgebungsaktivitäten sind im Gange, wobei jede Woche neue Inhalte hinzugefügt werden. Helfen Sie uns, unsere Aufzeichnungen zu verbessern, indem Sie Ihre Korrekturen oder Vorschläge teilen.

Please be advised that this database may include images and original language considered derogatory, offensive or graphic, and may not be suitable for all viewers. The images, titles, and inscriptions are products of their time and the creator’s perspective and are presented here as documentation, not a reflection of Getty’s values. Language and societal norms shift, and cataloging of a collection is a continuous work in progress. We encourage your input to enhance our understanding of our collection.

Every effort has been made to accurately determine the rights status of works and their images. Please contact Museum Rights and Reproductions if you have further information on the rights status of a work contrary or in addition to the information in our records.

/> Der Text auf dieser Seite ist, sofern nicht anders angegeben, unter einer Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License lizenziert. Ausgenommen sind Bilder und andere Medien.

Der Inhalt dieser Seite ist gemäß den Spezifikationen des International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) verfügbar. Sie können dieses Objekt in Mirador – einem IIIF-kompatiblen Viewer – anzeigen, indem Sie auf das IIIF-Symbol unter dem Hauptbild klicken oder das Symbol in ein geöffnetes IIIF-Viewer-Fenster ziehen.


Schau das Video: Thomas Schaertl: Does God Know the Future? (Januar 2022).